Any thoughts on

Thread: Any thoughts on

Any thoughts on

having the MacRobertson air race next month?

None that I've heard.

The MacRobertson is a lengthy effort for both pilots and race committee types so it's not likely to ever show up more than occasionally. As is, there have been several shorter events here and at FlightSim and pretty soon it will be time to prep for the annual Round The World Race so unless there was a crew dedicated to running it, and significant enthusiasm from pilots I doubt it could be fielded without several weeks of preparation.

One also has to think that all the historic events are somewhat known quantities as far as routes, aircraft and outcomes. To repeat any one too often can tend to generate a feeling of "been there, done that" which runs counter to pulling in large numbers of participants.

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Yep, I understand. Last time this was run, looked like a lot of fun.

We'll probably do another one in the future, but we like to space them out a bit. Maybe next summer.

However we have been having some discussion of a Novemberish event.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

That was an awesome event Robert ... but I am sure it was maintenance intensive and quite a chore to babysit.

We don't want to wear these guys out ... the best events come out of here ... there will be one along soon enough.

Another one that I'd like to see again ... or something like it ... was the Pan Am 1941 event.

These guys are good, eh?
    salt_air

A collective, "Aw shucks..." :redf:
    -Mike

I plan on holding the Holkham Dash again at Flightsim this December. In addition to the Subsonic Jet Class and the P-51H....er.....RTW Class we had last year, I'm kicking around the idea of adding a third class this year. One that involves radial engines in groups of four....

Say Wha ?
    never again to see the Moth with 1000+ mile range beat the snot out of the dedicated racers of the time.

"May fortune favor the foolish"
    MaddogK

Maybe next year MD. We like the MacRobertson too. But we do worry about burning everyone out on it.

Quote Originally Posted by MaddogK View Post
    Say Wha ?
    never again to see the Moth with 1000+ mile range beat the snot out of the dedicated racers of the time.

Not from me thats for sure :lol:

Those were some long days. It did give me a better understanding of what it would be like to do it in Real Life...

I would have peed my pants.

ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

Have you guys seen this new post in the FSX forum?

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...kage-released-!

It's a FS2004 scenery pack so why the thread is in the FSX forum I don't know.
    Larry

I just downloaded it. It looks really nice. It is FSX scenery after all. The post is a little confusing. This will be great to install for the next run!
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Spent a good part of the day checking out this scenery. It is very good. Not 100 percent accurate, but very good. Based on the Uiver DC2 flight. A lot of documentation to read and AI aircraft to download.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by RedGreen View Post
    I plan on holding the Holkham Dash again at Flightsim this December. In addition to the Subsonic Jet Class and the P-51H....er.....RTW Class we had last year, I'm kicking around the idea of adding a third class this year. One that involves radial engines in groups of four....
    Is there an extreme vintage class? I am cooking up something crazy for the Holkham Dash...

Did I just hear the phrase "extreme vintage class"?

That sure does sound good to me ...

I better try to find my Longshoreman's winter outfit ... some wool socks, a good pair of boots, and maybe even a can of Sterno ... or two ....
    salt_air

Quote Originally Posted by salt_air View Post

I better try to find my Longshoreman's winter outfit ... some wool socks, a good pair of boots, and maybe even a can of Sterno ... or two ....
    Yes, something like that.

Hey Moz. Something tells me we are not going to where there are bikini clad female types on this junket!

Quote Originally Posted by Taco View Post
    Hey Moz. Something tells me we are not going to where there are bikini clad female types on this junket!
    Well, it does tend to get rather cool in Alaska this time of year. The females just have to settle for being bikini-clad at our indoor pool.

Anyway, I've done some more thinking about this year's Holkham Dash, and I'm inclined to reduce the race distance, ditch the kerosene burners altogether, and have ourselves a proper propliner shootout.

Did someone say propliner? I'm all over it.

Did someone say ..."Did someone say propliner? I'm all over it." .... me too!

Still wonder what Moses had up his sleeve .... :ques:
    salt_air

Quote Originally Posted by salt_air View Post

Still wonder what Moses had up his sleeve ....

Hmmmm... that was a rather wily post

ohhhhh.... :iidea:

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Moses03 View Post

I'm in!

We can use the gates.to cockpit sharing software and fly in the same plane at the same time .... 4 hour shifts.

I'll be packed and ready early next week .... atrocious weather up there.

Think I saw an L.L. Bean paint job for the plane .... who knows .... could help ... 8~ /
    salt_air

That would be the proper way to attempt the flight Austin. I am not a proper lad though.

I have cobbled up a primitive otto (oh the humanity!) to keep things somewhat pointed in the right direction for the overnight hours. Still testing and planning a route. I just hope my confutor does not spit the bit after about 14 hrs.

Sounds interestin' .... I'll stay tuned.
    salt_air