Clutch Cargo Andean Airways: Final Tabulation

Thread: Clutch Cargo Andean Airways: Final Tabulation

Clutch Cargo Andean Airways: Final Tabulation

Fellow Pilots,

With Buzz reaching Salta—and after a few rounds of congratulatory beverages—we have the Clutch Cargo Andean Airways final tabulations. PRB compiled the numbers and we asked Mizz Nellie to do the back office calculations.

The scoring system rank orders each pilot from best to worst on our five categories: (1) Number of airports serviced (maximum 27); (2) Cargo carried (total, in pounds); (3) Fuel used (total, in pounds); (4) Time (only time over the 27-hour allotment counts); and (5) Maintenance Points. For each rank order, we assign a number of points that reflect the pilots' performance from best to worst. Then we add the rank orders across the five categories to product a total "Rank Order Points." The pilots with the lowest score (the pilot who finished near the top of the rank orderings over the five the categories) is the winner.

Details.
    For a category with a clear rank ordering, then things are straightforward—the best gets one point, the second two points, and so on. This was the case for Fuel usage. For ties, we "share" the rank ordering among the pilots with the tie score. The extreme example is Time. Sixteen pilots finished within the allotted time of 27 hours. Those sixteen pilots share the average of rank orders 1-16, or 8.5 points. The pilot who modestly exceeded the limit finished 17th and got 17 points. Note that there are many ties in the other categories.

On the maintenance side, Mizz Nellie excused three pilots for single momentary violations of the altitude restriction, assuming the pilots were using the older-style autopilots. This allowance is built into the rules.

The final standings are presented below. You can look at the details by going to the spreadsheet located here: CCAA Final Tabulation. On this site, you can see how the pilots rank ordered both overall, and (by looking at the appropriate tabs) within the subcategories for Airports, Cargo, Fuel, Time and Maintenance. Note that the winner was not necessarily the fastest, or the most fuel efficient, or the biggest cargo hauler.

The Winner is...
    Congratulations to Austin (salt_air) for a wonderful job. Your piloting was exemplary and your overall engagement made the event fun for all of us. Mizz Nellie Richards will be contacting you with your lavish prize...a nod of her approval.

(The summary tabulation is shown in the next post on this thread.)
    -Mike

Clutch Cargo Andean Airways

Here are the summary standings.

Total
    Name Rank Order
    salt_air 33.5
    MM 34.5
    Great Ozzie 36.5
    MaddogK 36.5
    mickj300 40.0
    teson1 40.5
    Bry Rosier 42.5
    Willy 45.0
    robert41 45.5
    buzzbee 45.5
    PRB 47.0
    jt_dub 47.5
    Moses03 48.0
    oldpropfan 48.5
    Dil52 53.5
    Granpappy 59.0
    DHC120 61.5

Details are here.
    -Mike

Congratulations Austin !
    Excellent airmanship !

And thanks to the organisers again.
    Fantastic job designing this interesting, fun and challenging event where airmanship really counted !

:salute:

Congrads to all involved.

...But I must say the time scoring is BS. If any had known that one could drag their butt and make the time limit, they could've gotten a better fuel mileage and perhaps a higher ranking.

Instead the time scoring is meaningless instead of factoring in the finishing time 'rank', like a RACE.
    "May fortune favor the foolish"
    MaddogK

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by MaddogK View Post
    Congrads to all involved.

...But I must say the time scoring is BS. If any had known that one could drag their butt and make the time limit, they could've gotten a better fuel mileage and perhaps a higher ranking.

Instead the time scoring is meaningless instead of factoring in the finishing time 'rank', like a RACE.
    Funny. I consider the time scoring the best feature of this event. Brilliant.

Instead of driving to reckless full throttle racing I feel it favored following full RW procedures for climb cruise and descent, and careful engine management and leaning.
    Actually the time limit of 27 hrs was exactly right (for the Maamsim DC-3 at least) so that to achieve optimum scoring cruise had to be done at exact RW POH recommended economy power settings.

After all, Mrs Nellie certainly doesn't want us to squander precious fuel and engine health by racing to the next airport and goofing off at the bar.
    We've got no passengers to transport that are impatient. That cargo doesn't mind a little more time in flight. And pilot time is also cheap in this part of the world.

Congradulations Austin (salt_air) for a job well done!

Very nice job all around event flying. :salute:

Thanks Miss Nelie and all of the staff here for your hard work and great job.

I enjoyed every minute of the flying, even when things went wrong.

I was especially nice to shareing stories and screen shots and flying on line.

Can't wait for another event!

dil52

Congratulations Salt. Thanks to everyone for this adventure. Much fun.

Drinks on Austin

I don't think we ever called it a race as it wasn't meant to be about who had the fastest cargo hauler. It was about who could haul the most, the cheapest in a reasonable amount of time that would allow for flying the aircraft in the most realistic manner. It was also designed with the DC-3 in mind.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Thanks go out to the event organizers for putting on yet another great event here at SOH ...

Last time I can remember "drinks on me" was when I had a bottle smashed over my head .. ... I like this way better!

Had a ball ... thanks for all the well wishes guys ... I was just a little luckier than the next guy.

Looking forward to the next event.

Taking away some new friends and being able to mix it up with some old friends is really the best part.
    salt_air

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    I don't think we ever called it a race as it wasn't meant to be about who had the fastest cargo hauler. It was about who could haul the most, the cheapest in a reasonable amount of time that would allow for flying the aircraft in the most realistic manner. It was also designed with the DC-3 in mind.
    Sorry Willy, I seemed to have mis-interpreted the rules:
    You cumulate a score for:
    o Elapsed time beyond the allotted margin (that is, cumulated flight time over 27 hours).
    - 3 -
    o Fuel used in pounds.
    o Number of designated airports to which a cargo is delivered. (The minimum car-go delivery is 500 pounds.)
    o Total cargo weight delivered (in 500 pound units) cumulated over all legs.
    o Number of maintenance points incurred for crashes, etc.
    At the end of the event, all pilots are rank ordered in each of the five categories, from best to worst. Each pilot's rank order scores are then summed across the categories. The lowest total is the winner.
    ...Seems some rules are subject to a different interpretation depending who'se reading them.

No worries tho, the satisfaction from my clients expecting faster than average delivery more than offset the increased fuel usage required to ensure their perishable cargo arrived intact.

GOOD show everyone.
    "May fortune favor the foolish"
    MaddogK

CG Austin... excellent time / fuel use!

Mike, again thanks for your time and effort... never do these SOH Events disappoint!

Quote Originally Posted by Great Ozzie View Post
    CG Austin... excellent time / fuel use!

Mike, again thanks for your time and effort... never do these SOH Events disappoint!

Appreciate it Rob ... I had a ball and echo what you said to Mike.

All of the times I've seen that avatar I never thought it was a photo of Eddie Rickenbacker ... that's him innit?
    salt_air

Great event, really enjoyed taking part. Thanks to everyone who organised it or kept track of the scores. Congrats to Salt_air, you're a worthy winner my friend!
    Mick (G-ACFC)
    PPL(A)

Quote Originally Posted by salt_air View Post
    Appreciate it Rob ... I had a ball and echo what you said to Mike.

All of the times I've seen that avatar I never thought it was a photo of Eddie Rickenbacker ... that's him innit?
    Yep! That is Captain Eddie next to a Nieuport 28 from the 94th Aero "Hat in the Ring" Squadron... pic from the Eddie V. Rickenbacker Collection, Auburn University Libraries.

Quote Originally Posted by Great Ozzie View Post
    Yep! That is Captain Eddie next to a Nieuport 28 from the 94th Aero "Hat in the Ring" Squadron... pic from the Eddie V. Rickenbacker Collection, Auburn University Libraries.

An awesome American!

Went on to run Eastern Airlines after all the shootin' was done.

Must be nice to actually realize a dream and then be the best at it after all is said and done.
    salt_air

Congrats Austin and thanks for the effort that the organizers put into it. Glad I was able to complete it.
    Buzzbee - TeamAVSIM

Appreciate it Buzz .... enjoyed your flights and admire your perseverance ... very well done!!

Most folks are gone ... but I left an open tab for any of Miss Nellie's pilots ... anytime!

Cheers,
    salt_air

Members who have read this thread: 0