FireFox woes

Thread: FireFox woes

FireFox woes

The auto-update feature of Firefox put me into version 6 and I've had nothing but trouble with the incredible sloooooowness of forum pages loading. It made SOH browsing torture.

I tried Google Chrome, and was very impressed with it's quickness in both page loading and downloading... but I missed my old FireFox.

What I did was to remove Firefox with the windows control panel, then re-install an old copy of FireFox 4.01. It worked like a charm, and I can now speedily browse with my old comfort settings.

No one at FireFox seems to acknowledge the problem with the current version... and the version7 beta also has the problem.

So you can solve it by taking a great leap backwards... not exactly what Mao envisioned.

Dick

I've been using Firefox 6 since it was in Beta and have had no problems with it.

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

On another PC I had some ver of FF 6. It was crap. Just like you said and eat up RAM to no end. I'm a IE8 user and have Google Chrome back up should IE8 not work on a website.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Charter Member 2011
    i've had a few problems with it crashing randomly when browseing flash intensive websites (youtube for example) but other that no probs ere.
    yes i know i cant spell half the time! Thank you kindly to those few who pointed that out

I've had no complaints about FF6. maybe some setting?
    JohnH_049

Kurier auf Stube...pauke! NachtPiloten's Avatar

FF6

Miserable, can't navigate off the first page, slow, back to IE8 for now.

I've dumped Firefox, it was becoming virtually unusable - which is kinda sad, as it was the first real alternative to IE I found. FF5 was causing so many issues, and I couldn't be bothered to make the move to 6.

Chrome is fine, really quick (like FF used to be, back in the day), but I find the interface isn't as intuitive as it could be; so I use Chrome for a few sites, and back to IE8 for most of my web use.
    Andy

wow, I can't understand why so many are having problems with FF.
    Usually is something is going to go wrong, it will go wrong for me.
    JohnH_049

I decided a while ago to stay with 3.6.13 on my single core processor PC.

They keep throwing more stuff into browsers and probably optimizing them to run on multiple core PC's. The more they do that I believe the less compatible they become with older PC's.

Now my laptop is probably plenty capable of running the latest version I just don't want to run two different versions.
    ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

Blog Entries
    every now and then,i get an error where a script has stopped running and as soon as i turn off the script and prevent it from doing anything more,FF speeds up. The script?? Chrome. I'm so pissed at google it isnt funny. To me, its a deliberate attempt on their part to cripple mozilla and make their own piece of garbage more appealing..

Smile Firefox woes

warchild,

I had to reinstall Google because it told me it was corrupted, don't remember what I
    installed before that caused it. but haven't had any trouble since then. Every search
    engine seems to have their bugs, don't know why this is. I seemed to get more spam
    with Firefox. I didn't care for their new beta, seems more trouble than it's worth,
    just me I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by warchild View Post
    every now and then,i get an error where a script has stopped running and as soon as i turn off the script and prevent it from doing anything more,FF speeds up. The script?? Chrome. I'm so pissed at google it isnt funny. To me, its a deliberate attempt on their part to cripple mozilla and make their own piece of garbage more appealing..
    One person's junk is another man's treasure. I happen to really like Chrome, have been using it for almost a year now. As for Firefox, can't stand it. Never have liked it. Go figure...

The slowness of FireFox 6 is a problem caused by some incompatibility with my system. But the odd thing is that version 4 runs like a charm... as does IE8 and Chrome.

Chrome is so quick! I may end up switching.

Dick

I'm another one becoming disenchanted with Firefox. Version 6 lasted approximately an hour on my system before I went back to 4.0.1 No Google toolbar, no virtual keyboard, Autofill didn't work, and oh so slow. A bad job.

Sorry, I dun' track yez all on this one. FF6 is working fine, very fast and no probs at all. My guess? Possibly yez need to defrag with dfragger that moves all stuff, not just what the current fast defraggers want to move. Oh for the days of dfraggers that did what YOU wanted to do, not what the designer boys built in. And therein lies the crux of why I became a programmer; I wanted programs that did what I wanted done, not the krup someone else wanted.

The recent and current crop of bloatware proves my point. At one time I even switched to Linux to get away from it, but even they are moving in what is to me the wrong direction.

Hmm, insert your own witty saying here --

Blog Entries
    for about 1 year, vbulletin has had its share of problems with firefox, We keep the forums updated and secure, it is a firefox problem not a SOH one.
    Look What I Have Become!

Hi Ickie.

Yes, It's a FireFox thing.

Why would load times for pages crawl or even time out with FireFox, and load like lightning with IE or Chrome. Same web pages, same computer... and my computer is fine tuned and defragged and with all XP updates. And, why would the old version 4 of FireFox also load like lightning? ( I also installed with no addons and it was just as slow ).

It's not a problem with my system. It's an incompatibility with my system. Unfortunately, the beta version ( 7b ) also has the problem. So if I need to move on to a new browser in the future, it won't be FireFox. The web forums indicate there will never be a fix, as the FireFox developers do not admit there is an internet connection problem.

I really like FireFox, with FireBug and using FireFTP. But I offer my solution to others that run across this speed problem. And as Ickie points out, it's not an SOH thing.

Dick

I gave this one last try...

Saved my bookmarks. Saved my passwords. Uninstalled Firefox completely. Rebooted. Went to My Documents folder and renamed all Mozilla folders.
    reinstalled FireFox 6.0.1

Success. I don't know what was stored in my system, but it killed my FireFox connection speed.

All is good now... at least for now. ( Chrome is still really, really fast ).

Dick

I too have fixed many a browser issue by installing an older version. The other things that I found often contributed to slowness were all the crap bundled with the so-called upgrade. Plug-ins, preset search parameters, automatic this and that, AARRGG!! If I searched these out and disabled them (I LOVE that phrase when it comes to this stuff) usually I was back to a decent response time also knowing all the fat had been trimmed away. What do these companies think anyway? Ah, that felt good.
    W10-64 Pro, 3GHz, 16GB Ram, AMD Radeon HD 5570

Quote Originally Posted by AndyG43 View Post
    I've dumped Firefox, it was becoming virtually unusable - which is kinda sad, as it was the first real alternative to IE I found. FF5 was causing so many issues, and I couldn't be bothered to make the move to 6.

Chrome is fine, really quick (like FF used to be, back in the day), but I find the interface isn't as intuitive as it could be; so I use Chrome for a few sites, and back to IE8 for most of my web use.
    Just remembered another nifty feature of Chrome that gives it the edge over Firefox (at least in my opinion)'; it has got an auto translate feature, so if you load in a foreign website (for example, the Flightsim Periskop site), it will offer to translate into English - the translation is sometimes a little too literal, but it makes things a lot simpler. Sadly though it doesn't translate American into English.
    Andy

I've had problems with speed here in the last three or maybe four versions of Firefox as well as IE. I visit other forums that seem to use the same software as here, but respond very quickly. When using the "Mark forum read" feature, it often doesn't work here. At other forums it works quickly and smoothly. I have just gotten used to SOH being slow.
    Matt