Russian Airliners? - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Russian Airliners?

PROFESSOR vonstroheim
    :ernae:

Talking of Tu-154s there is this sound pack - http://secure.simmarket.com/tss-tupo...pack-fsx.phtml

It says "THIS PRODUCT ONLY WORKS 100% with FSX ."

So what Tu-154 is there for FSX? I would have thought if someone has gone to the trouble of producing a sound set costing €13 that there would be a proper FSX version and not an FS9 version that needs work.

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenL View Post
    Talking of Tu-154s there is this sound pack - http://secure.simmarket.com/tss-tupo...pack-fsx.phtml

It says "THIS PRODUCT ONLY WORKS 100% with FSX ."

So what Tu-154 is there for FSX? I would have thought if someone has gone to the trouble of producing a sound set costing €13 that there would be a proper FSX version and not an FS9 version that needs work.

There is not a Tu-154 for FSX, barring this partial home-made port that has been talked about here.
    They may have made the soundpack simply because they have access to the real thing somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by pr945b View Post
    professor vonstroheim
    Thanks! But a good Tu-154M won't fly in FSX anytime soon... Nor the real one, for that matter... Check this:
    http://youtu.be/vcZ2ZPOr5SY

Momtchil, an administrator of the Russian Flight Simulation and Aviation forum at Avsim wrote recently:

"Project Tupolev (PT) have stated that they are not interested in doing aircraft for FSX for the time being, but they have given permission for anyone interested in adapting their planes to FSX.
    Suprunov has been working on an FSX version of his Yak-40.
    There's rumors that Kirill Konovalov is planning on doing IL-62 and Tu-154 aircraft for FSX (based on the PT planes), but I'm not aware of anything definite, and even if he is - it will likely take some time. [...]
    There's also potential future development for An-24 and Tu-134 by Soviet Classic Simulations, but I don't know if this is going to materialise."

Attachment 50964

So I think we should arrange an online meeting between the PT team, and developers in our community savvy enough to recompile to native FSX the Tu-154M from the PT source files... But only if Konovalov is not working on it too... Bjoern are you interested?

Quote Originally Posted by vonstroheim View Post
    Thanks! But a good Tu-154M won't fly in FSX anytime soon... Nor the real one, for that matter... Check this:
    http://youtu.be/vcZ2ZPOr5SY

Momtchil, an administrator of the Russian Flight Simulation and Aviation forum at Avsim wrote recently:

"Project Tupolev (PT) have stated that they are not interested in doing aircraft for FSX for the time being, but they have given permission for anyone interested in adapting their planes to FSX.
    Suprunov has been working on an FSX version of his Yak-40.
    There's rumors that Kirill Konovalov is planning on doing IL-62 and Tu-154 aircraft for FSX (based on the PT planes), but I'm not aware of anything definite, and even if he is - it will likely take some time. [...]
    There's also potential future development for An-24 and Tu-134 by Soviet Classic Simulations, but I don't know if this is going to materialise."

Attachment 50964

So I think we should arrange an online meeting between the PT team, and developers in our community savvy enough to recompile to native FSX the Tu-154M from the PT source files... But only if Konovalov is not working on it too... Bjoern are you interested?

Luckily we still have some Tu-154s flying about with smaller airlines! That Youtube clip was just a showcase of Malev's 154 retirement. Most majors (Malev, Aeroflot, Pulkovo/Rossiya, etc) have stopped using them, but they're still around!
    I saw that same post that basically stated that no one is quite sure what's going on with the state of Russian simulated aviation at this point. It's unfortunate since the airplanes are so unique and different when compared to the the never-ending requests for new 737s and A320s. (Although I welcome a 737-200....that's my exception. haha!)

The Project Tupolev Tu-154b2 and Tu-154M were actually fairly popular with simmers due to their very high levels of complexity. (I guess the accepted term is "PMDG levels of complexity"). PT's -154M representation was actually used at Tupolev headquarters as a procedural trainer at one point. Enough searching through their forums should dig up the photos eventually if they are still being hosted.

That being said, it would be great if a developer with a willingness to take something out of the ordinary would give a Russian jetliner (or turboprop airliner) an extremely detailed, FSX-Native attempt.

I bet that the simulation community wouldn't be so averse to it as some may think, noting the acceptance of the Project Tupolev offerings. We did see many users struggle with it due to the steep learning curve, but I know of very few that gave up. It was a point of pride at one time to know how to handle the Project Tupolev Tu-154 aircraft series, and now it's become an oddity. "Oh, you fly those backward Russian things without an FMC? Wow...that's really strange. They should have focused their efforts on a 7#7 instead."

It's a pipe dream to imagine any significant movement popping up in the form of a request for an FSX-Native jet such as the Tu-134 or 154. (Thought I have seen requests for the 204....but that's only as exciting as yet another 757.)
    Though, if there is a chance that an effort towards organizing a mass statement of interest for something of the more unique Russian persuasion (134, 154, Yak-42), I'm all for it and would try to help as much as humanly possible, given my lack of Russian language knowledge, but love for their aviation!

In the mean time, we can only hope that Konovlov continues to produce them, that PT team decides to jump back into the game, or that some other developer with the desire to craft something worthy of a systems simulation will step forward in the future. It's probably worthless to put hope in such a thing in a simming world dominated by the acceptance of the "same old tubes", but just maybe it'll payoff in the end.

A direct question, do you, Vonstroheim, (or anyone else reading this for that matter!) have any ideas in mind that would help spark interest in a developer creating a systems-study level Russian (or Ukrainian) aircraft?

P.S. Thanks for the 154 conversion. We both know it's devolved into a simple addon, but it looks nice, and it's the best we have so far. Thanks for your effort!

P.S. (again) Some people may enjoy this Youtube series. Flight To The North (parts 1 through 6) featuring a Tu-154 Flight from Moscow to Murmansk! Here's part 1. The other parts should all be on the sidebar if viewed in Youtube.

Bjoern are you interested?
    No. Too complex and too little interest.

Maybe you guys know, but there is a Tu-154B2 beta for FSX: http://files.protu-154.net/PT-154B2_..._v1_0_beta.exe

Quote Originally Posted by pr945b View Post
    Maybe you guys know, but there is a Tu-154B2 beta for FSX: http://files.protu-154.net/PT-154B2_..._v1_0_beta.exe
    SWEET! Just checked the PT forums and it's official and may be the one that Konovalov was helping with! (Judging by the screenname in the response on the forum. I think that's his first name if I recall correctly.)

Downloading now.....and getting very excited

http://www.protu-154.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12372

EDIT: Still downloading, but just FYI, this is the older b2 version of the Tu-154 (Tu-154b2). The Tu-154M is the modern version....but still....hopefully it'll be just as good as it always has been!

IT IS FSX-NATIVE!

Fully click-able virtual cockpit.
    ALL Tu-154b2 systems are simulated except for the pressurization system.

We now have a fully FSX-Native Russian jetliner in FSX.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanTK View Post
    We now have a fully FSX-Native Russian jetliner in FSX.
    This is BIG news! Can't wait to get back home to try this! Half an hour to go... Shouldn't read flightsim forum at work... But I'm glad I did! Thanks Sean, pr945b, and Kirill Konovalov of course!

This is BIG news! Can't wait to get back home to try this! Half an hour to go... Shouldn't read flightsim forum at work... But I'm glad I did! Thanks Sean, pr945b, and Kirill Konovalov of course!
    You bet. I made a dedicated thread for it, and it looks like the mods were very quick to sticky it! Thanks mods!

Native FSX Tupolev Tu-144

A FSX conversion of the Tupolev Tu-144 is available as a beta version here:
    http://www.avsim.su/forum/topic/1227...z-tu-144d-v30/

Hard to download, hard to startup, hard to fly... For hardcore simmers specialized in russian avionics... This means it's for you Sean...

Attachment 55980

I can't even download it since they restricted traffic.
    The download location says that currently foreign download hits outnumber Russian download hits, so they throttled it somehow and have restricted access.

Hmm....well, I'll keep my eye on it for the future.

Also, FSX-native Project Tupolev Il-62 development is progressing further. Kirill is currently working on the 3D gauges for the VC.

After a few days I found how to lower the nose and extend the "canards"...

Attachment 56171 Attachment 56172

Attachment 56173 Attachment 56174

This FSX Tu-144 beta 3.0 is looking promising... but ... no auto-start button here... Manual in russian only...
    Couldn't fly it without cheating... yet...

Attachment 56179 Attachment 56180

Edit: Some documentation here, with google translate...
    http://translate.googleusercontent.c...bX2yUguW_7760A

Suprunov Yak-40 in FSX?

Just for fun I'm trying to port-over to FSX the Suprunov Yak-40. I'm using the 2D panel and XML gauges from Project Yakovlev Yak-40 by Samdim, Denis Okan, Mikhail Mitin, Andrei Sheybak, Stepan Gritsevsky (2006) : yak40.avsim.su/files.html or Yak40_PAL.zip at avsimrus.com

And of course Igor Suprunov's SCDS Yakovlev Yak-40 v1.4 (2004) for the 3D model and VC (FS9): scyakv14.zip at flightsim.com

This Suprunov Yak-40 version 1.4 is a demo/shareware free early version which ports ok in FSX, but with all gauges and panel textures missing. So I'm trying to "paint" the new textures, and on top of it I attach the XML gauges from Stepan Gritsevsky... and it works!

FPS are very good, and might be better than the FS9 payware version, due to the fact that Suprunov put cockpit texture bimaps inside the gauges. So they eat a lot of memory, all the time... It's not quite the case with regular XML gauges... Cool...

Of course the quality of my port-over is far from the original, the avionics and FDE are certainly not correct, but I'm having fun... Can't publish anything though... too much copyright restrictions... and the FS9 Yak-40 is still for sale... but I hope Igor will see it can be done quite easily (and he has all the correct panel textures!). If he is indeed working on a FSX version, I'll be happy to buy it... but I'm hoping a freeware FSX version can be assembled, a bit like the Konovalov PT Tu-154B-2, and with Igor supervision, if he's too busy flying for aeroflot to build a new Yak-40 (he flies real Airbus A320 in Russia!!! lucky guy...).

I've posted the same message at avsim, I think Igor Suprunov or the SD team is registered there...

So far it looks like this:

Landing in the Seychelles, here Astove island... (photoreal scenery by Diaphenous at Simviation)

The virtual cockpit, half done so far:

The "Salon" VIP version:

And the combi passenger/cargo version (The all-passenger version doesn't work in FSX... strange...):

More WIP pictures to come...

Vonstroheim,

Have you tried messing with the Project Yakovlev Yak-40?
    http://yak40.avsim.su/files.html

Freeware, and I have no idea if it works at all in X.
    Just something to tool around with.
    I'm not even sure if Suprunov is still around. Their website is no longer coming up in a Google search, and when it was available, it was dead quiet for a number of years after the DH Vampire exterior model release.

Also, an update on the Project Tupolev "Ilyushin Il-62M":

It will be freeware.
    Exterior model and VC are ready. I think a little bit of animation coding needs to be finalized, but painting the VC and exterior model is where things have mainly shifted to right now. Some gauge configuration coding needs to be finalized, but it sounds like not much.
    It is expected within the year. (probably by Summer 2012, if I had to guess)
    No preview shots yet.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanTK View Post
    Have you tried messing with the Project Yakovlev Yak-40?
    Yes I did, the gauges are fine but the 3D model is very limited, FS98 era style... not usable... too bad... The 2D panel and pop-ups are very nice though... I'm using them. I've made of course a 16:9 version.

Thanks for the Il-62 update !

Blog Entries
    Great updates V and Sean!

I finally had time to download the FSX TU-154 - have to find the right tutorial on startup ... but that looks awesome - and that was a good thread.

Regarding others, I stumbled across Edgar Guinart's Il-18D for FS9. Don't know to what extent it works in FSX, but I just mention it since I hadn't seen it mentioned in this thread yet.

Great thread!

DL

DL,

Great to hear that you'll give the 154 a shot.
    The manual is located here (I'm using Win7):

X(drive letter):\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Project Tupolev\documents FS9\pttu154_94eng.pdf

Also, I have a training center set up here (as part of a larger forum):
    http://aviationcafe.co.uk/Index/view...34a4e1dd42e3e7

If you are serious about learning the 154, I encourage you to sign up. Friendly help, and lots of patience with the basics!

Regarding FS9 Portovers, other than the simplest aircraft out there, they usually don't work too well. The Russian developers have a tendency (as you'll find out with the Tu-154) to focus to an extreme extent on the realism of the systems, and this usually means custom gauge coding. As a result, many issues have a tendency to pop-up with ports.
    The Russian sim community probably has some of the harshest critics out there, in regards to their seeking of realism and getting addons right. While that leads to fewer Russian addons, those aircraft that do appear from Russian developers will be of the highest quality.

Blog Entries
    Cool beans, Sean!!

You and VS have really helped bridge the gap in knowledge on Russian aeroplanes between the somwhat mysterious, often daunting, but almost always fantastic Russian projects and us unwashed non-Cyrillic types. Bravo.

Will check out ACafe - looks like it'll be very informative. Just cruised through the site and learned about the upcoming/updated Il-62 and TU-144. Most excellent!

Thanks for the pointers on the tutorial. It is just stunning on the ground - eager to take her up.

cheers,

DL

Blog Entries
    Von,

Just a quick couple questions regarding the SCS '134:

1) Apart from the lack of VC (no biggie for me in airliners) - does it work in FSX?
    2) Have located the v1.2, model but is there an Enlish manual?
    3) Where is that repaint pack? I looked in Avsim under Denis' name ... couldn't find it

thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by delta_lima View Post
    Von,

Just a quick couple questions regarding the SCS '134:

1) Apart from the lack of VC (no biggie for me in airliners) - does it work in FSX?
    2) Have located the v1.2, model but is there an Enlish manual?
    3) Where is that repaint pack? I looked in Avsim under Denis' name ... couldn't find it

thanks,

1) I'll look into that and get back to you. From quick images that I have seen, you will at least lose the transperency of the glass on the windows (solid glass now).

2) There was never an official English manual released, however, read the following:

Text based checklist
    http://www.protu-154.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3571

PDF reference to panel button with numbered images (holy crap you can still download it after all these years! Awesome!)
    http://ubsoft.org/tu134_panel.pdf

Flying advisories:
    http://www.protu-154.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3363

3) I'll look for more repaints, but for now, I ran a search at Avsimrus/Avsim.su under "SCS" and came up with the following results. Any repaints for version 1 on up through version 1.2 should work fine. Earlier version repaints may not.
    http://avsimrus.com/files.phtml?sear...s=1&minrating=

EDIT: Take note of this in case it is needed.
    http://avsimrus.com/f/fsx-aircraft-a...n=comments&hl=

I don't know how much functionality the default included panel retains, but this may make a difference if you lose a lot of panel functionality in FSX. I'll check out the default situation later though.

Has anyone ever thought of trying to program a utility that would force FSX to bring back 2D side-views for those that want to use 2D panels with aircraft that don't have VCs? Is this even possible?

Update. Tried it, and it works fairly well, actually!

Issues:
    No voice call outs. (may depend on where the sound files are. Will try moving them around to see if that makes a difference).

Engine smoke seems to be always on, and it's very misaligned.

All switches and buttons seem to work relatively fine.
    Ctrl-E works to start the engines.
    As far as manual starting goes, I couldn't get the APU to stay on, but that may be operator error on my part (I haven't flown this thing in at least four years).

You don't get 2D side views as established, and the 2D main panel view is very low and needs to be adjusted. I'm not familiar with FSX's 2D main panel logic, and couldn't get the panel to stay on after switching views, but that may be an FSX setting.

There are no outside visual issues as far as I know. The glass is actually fine (at least at most angles). Seems a little darker than the FS2004 era, but it still looks great, and in certain conditions, you can still see the 3d modeled pilots inside.

I will need to look into the plane more later to determine what (if any) systems issues there are, but Ctl-E at least works for now to start it up.

Ilyushin IL-18 with VC: freeware

Did you notice that on Simviation today the FSX IL-18 with vc is avialable?
    Does this airplane require the "russian configuration" of the joystick or will a normal joystick will allow flight?\
    Sid