Freeware Gems, Possibly Overlooked

Thread: Freeware Gems, Possibly Overlooked

Freeware Gems, Possibly Overlooked

The sticky thread about the excellent a380 has caused me to get into flying airliners like I've never done before (which could mean, "more often" or "with more competence", but in my case it just means "more often") It also caused me to explore some other airliners.

I think everyone knows about the POSKY 777 which is top notch. May I suggest three others that you may or may not have tried:

1. Ilyushin Il-96 by Kirill Konovalov.(at flightsim.com) Great looking VC and exterior, but two things are necessary. I had to change the config file to say [flightsim.0] and [flightsim.1] because the two aircraft were listed as [flightsim.1] and [flightsim.2] which meant they didn't show up on the menu.

Secondly, I had to click off mipmaps on the fuselage using DXTBMP because they were just too fuzzy otherwise. Maybe if your graphics card is faster than mine you won't need to.

Don't let those things put you off. It's a great plane, and it loads with the engines running, which is much more convenient than trying to start the Project Tupolev TU154. One day I hope to do that, after I print and study the manual.

2. BAC 111 by David Maltby (at BritSim.com) Before there were regional jets, there was this one, and the photoreal VC is top notch, along with the rest of the plane.

3. EMB 190 by PAD (at premaircraft.com) The level of detail in this aircraft is much higher than most other PAD projects, in my opinion. The VC looks sharp, and the EMB 190 is just a sleek, modern jet to begin with.

So, if you need a break from what you usually fly, or if like me you just have the urge every so often to discover a new aircraft that is really good, I leave these three for your consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleet Canuck View Post
    2. BAC 111 by David Maltby (at BritSim.com) Before there were regional jets, there was this one, and the photoreal VC is top notch, along with the rest of the plane.
    Anything by David Maltby is worth getting(his own site is http://www.dmflightsim.co.uk/default.htm); the VC10 doesn't have a VC (but don't let that stop you, it is still an absolute masterpiece), all the others do now & they are all true works of the modellers art. I recently went on the 1-11 on display at the Brooklands Museum, I'd forgotten how cramped those things were.

My particular favourite is the Comet; to paraphrase Fleet Canuck "before there were amy other jets, there was this one ..." - Lord Maltby of Weybridge (it can only be a matter of time, surely) modelled that later versions, but you can also get the earlier versions, modelled by Jens Kristensen, at Britsim.

And another site worth checking, with oodles of wonderful classic tubes, is the Historic Jetliners Group (http://www.simviation.com/hjg/). I'd be hard put to pick a favourite from there, but the Caravelles and Convairs would certainly be on the list - incidentally, it's worth noting that the design of the Caravelle took the nose & cockpit design directly from the Comet!!
    Andy

Libardo Guzmans Concorde is pretty good fun too..... :salute:

available on simV :

FS9 / FSX Concorde 2011 Version Package (Category: FSX > Civil Jets)Zip file preview
    91.48Mb (30403 downloads)
    FS2004 / FSX Concorde 2011 Version Includes: new model, textures, and flight dynamics; sound, gauges, effects, VC with navigator, passenger area, passenger's views, full animated parts, clickable gauges on VC (all in FS9, some in FSX). By Libardo Guzman.
    See additional Multi Textures Pack

Can I refer you all to a similar and comprehensive thread.
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...-Freeware-Gems
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

oh i know Nai, those are classic freeware, these are kinda new and shiny

Yes, Smoothie, the Concord is both recent and excellent. I find it requires some forward pressure on the yoke to get the nosewheel down after landing, and the afterburner's a little hyperactive, but it is a joy to fly.

I thought the flow of new aircraft for FS9 would slow to a trickle after the release of FSX, but while it's not as great as earlier years, when there seemed to be something new every week, there are still some good designs appearing even now.

and if i recall, even now it's still the most widely used sim, and i use both sims due to repainting, but fly more on 9

Quote Originally Posted by Smoothie View Post
    and if i recall, even now it's still the most widely used sim, and i use both sims due to repainting, but fly more on 9
    Yes I have a high rated machine but find myself drifting back to FS9 and away from FSX. It's just so frustrating with its fickle stutters and long loading times, whereas FS9 tarted up with various addons is a much more satisfying experience.
    Corsair 850W PSU
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Quote Originally Posted by Naismith View Post
    Yes I have a high rated machine but find myself drifting back to FS9 and away from FSX. It's just so frustrating with its fickle stutters and long loading times, whereas FS9 tarted up with various addons is a much more satisfying experience.
    Amen to that! I've tried to make myself like FSX as it's what most of the people in the Flying Club I'm in use, but it's a hard chore. FS9, on the other hand, is easy to love.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoothie View Post
    Same for me too. You pretty much need a really fast gaming machine to handle "X" properly. I have both FSX and FS9 installed on the 'Jetline', but I fly in FS9 avidly. I have FSX installed because now and then I like taking the Flying Stations "Westland Wyvern" for a romp.... as well as a host of others. I would really like to have the Wyvern for FS9, the little plane is so homely looking that it has become more of a curiosity, I just had to download it and fly it.

BB686:USA-flag:
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

Two Quirky Freeware Gems to Add to the List

I see I started this thread back in 2011, and I'm inspired to add to it today. It's been 16 years since FS9 came out, and with the exception of the excellent AVRO here recently, there aren't many new planes being made for FS9, and no new payware planes at all. I'd like to recommend a couple you've likely never tried. The Porterfield Turner is in the SOH database, and in flightsim.com there's an improvement on it that makes it better for flying and viewing. Low and slow, but very well done.

And, the Let 200D Moravia is a Czech-built twin engine aircraft, rather unusual looking, but the VC and sounds are great and it's fun to fly. Try it for a change. It's also over at flightsim.com.

Now for psychology. I find a plane that's really good looking and a joy to fly and instantly I'm back looking for others. It seems like a sugar high followed by a strong craving for more. I've already got more planes than I have time to fly. This is strange behaviour indeed, but I bet I'm not the only one here so afflicted...

Members +
    You are most definitely not alone.
    I've been FS2004 simming ever since it was released and I still find interesting things.
    I've also, in my internet travels, have found 2 Russian sites that have unique scenery and planes.
    Even though addons have slowed down, there are still many hidden gems out there to be found. A great pity is the demise of many sites and libraries.
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

Quote Originally Posted by zswobbie1 View Post
    I've also, in my internet travels, have found 2 Russian sites that have unique scenery and planes.
    Do tell.
    Corsair 850W PSU
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Members +
    By the way, in Flightsim.com, the only update I can find is for the Porterfield Collegate Update, not the Turner Update.

Oops, ignore the above, I found the Porterfield & update here in our own library.
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

Members +
    Quote Originally Posted by Naismith View Post
    Do tell.
    Here we go..
    https://www.avsimrus.com/files.phtml
    https://www.avsimrus.com/f/fs2004-aircrafts-40/ Keep looking.. Some unique aircraft on the pages..
    Page 2 has 2 Myasishev aircraft, the Russian version of the U-2

Then we have: Older more classic aircraft & Russian scenery.. Ideal for Golden Wings.
    http://rusaviagold.narod.ru/index.htm

http://rusaviagold.narod.ru/aircraft.htm

These pages are safe, I've never had any issues with them at all.
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

One More for Your Consideration...

I have looked through several sites in search of previously undiscovered freeware gems, and I'm ready to give up the hunt. This one is the last one I found. The UTVA 75, over at Simviation.com

A two seat trainer in many military paints, but also in civil use. Good model, interesting plane, and good VC:

Now I think I can end my search for more FS9 aircraft and instead focus on flying them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Untitled1.jpg   Untitled.jpg  

I have looked through several sites in search of previously undiscovered freeware gems, and I'm ready to give up the hunt. This one is the last one I found. The UTVA 75, over at Simviation.com

A two seat trainer in many military paints, but also in civil use. Good model, interesting plane, and good VC:

Now I think I can end my search for more FS9 aircraft and instead focus on flying them.

Bit late to the party with that one.... it was mentioned before in the Freeware Gems thread (up in the tweeks and tips section at top of the board)..... here http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...l=1#post358720

Ttfn

Pete

Whoops!

Quote Originally Posted by Motormouse View Post
    Bit late to the party with that one.... it was mentioned before in the Freeware Gems thread (up in the tweeks and tips section at top of the board)..... here http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...l=1#post358720

Ttfn

Pete
    I guess my search isn't quite over then. I'll have to look through that thread more carefully. Thanks!

I guess my search isn't quite over then. I'll have to look through that thread more carefully. Thanks!
    Lots of good stuff in that thread, one issue is a lot of links to er, more diverse websites, are no longer active, so you may have to resort to Mr Google and the Wayback Machine.

Ttfn

Pete

Members +
    It's such a pity that a lot of sites are no more. Luckily, as I've been FS9'ing for many years, I have an extensive library of downloads that I've collected, especially of the older stuff.
    You can PM me if you are looking for anything.

I still, even today, trawl the existing sites and end up remembering what was great, and download it.
    Yes, I end up with duplicates. Rather that, than not having them, in
    case they get lost.
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa