OT- Dog Equipment

Thread: OT- Dog Equipment

OT- Dog Equipment

About six months ago, the boss and I rescued a Beagle. He's younger than was advertised, but that's ok. That just means he's very young and full of energy.

As a result, he's pretty much destroyed two dog leads already. The metal clasps just don't hold up. I've found a few other things just weren't up to the task either. They escape me now. Petco purchased equipment does not seem to hold up.

Does anyone know the website of a good, high-quality dog equipment company?

Just ask Willy...

that man spend fixing engines and equipment longer than my entire life, and can sure help you out with some proper chains for use as leach...:ernae:
    provided you borrow him your dog so he can take it on a hunting trip...
    We can complain about Il2 defects or omissions, but after a quick reality check with the competitors' products we go back to father Oleg as a bunch of prodigal sons.

Insuber

We use a 6-foot nylon strap lead, brand name "Top Paw". This lead has good stitching and a quality spring-lock clip where it attaches to the dog's collar. My dog's collar is the same brand, also same quality. There's a D-ring stitched into the collar to attach the lead. PetSmart carries Top Paw products

Chris, I've got some of that heavy duty chain we used to tie down cars and trucks when I worked for Anchor. If he chews thru it or breaks it, you'd best put him on that 130 and send him to Iraq. He'll clean up and our troops will be home before you know it.

And WalMart on Rt 40 now has that Pedipaws tool to trim dog's nails. Use it on his "needle" teeth too.
    Gary -

Goundcrew Member - Warbirds of Delaware KILG - Member 7G Club
    Member of the War Eagles Air Museum Santa Teresa, NM
    KILG Tour Coordinator and Member of Collings Foundation Stowe, Mass
    Mid Atlantic Air Museum Reading, PA.

Chris, I use one of those retractible leashes, but Sassy only weighs about 7lbs so there's not enough dog there to tear up much. Got it at Petco though.

i have a beagle puppy that i just got. she destroyed her first leash because she is teething, and playful. i bought a harness and another leash, but this time i sprayed the livin sh** out of 'em with sour apple spray. it's 100% organic and it's just granny smith concentrate. she hates the flavor. the leash chewing has ended.

go to your pet stor and ask for "bitter apple spray" it works like a charm.

better to teach the dog what is not acceptable to chew, than to get things she cant destroy by chewing. he'll just move on to other stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by cheezyflier View Post
    he'll just move on to other stuff.
    Like fingers, legs, shoes, carpet, table and chair legs.... You get what I mean. :costumes:

Worse thing I've seen a dog try and chew was a car tire.... the moving kind.
    Gary -

Ain't dogs a hoot? It's always the small, cute ones that surprise ya. We have a female Chihuahua that just turned a year old yesterday. She is everything but what a Chihuahua is believed to be. Hazel is quiet unless she is playing...no yippiness in her at all. She is bold and confident...none of that shakiness commonly seen in small breeds. She fetches like a champion and will bring the toy right back to you and drop it by your hand and sit without having to be told to do so. Great little dog...other than the fact that she is too smart for my own good. A few nights ago, my nephew and I ordered pizza for our gaming night....had the pizza left overs sitting on the kitchen table, in the box, waiting for round 2. Hazel decided she wanted pizza and climbed up in one of the chairs, which was pushed in all the way....stretched and contorted her body until she could get her head up on the table enough to grab the box, pulled the box off the table and onto the floor. When the box hit the floor, it sprang open and Hazel and Brutus (our 3 year old Chihuahua/Jack Russell mix) both grabbed a slice of pizza and had a blast eating it. Unfortunately, Hazel decided that the slice she wanted to eat was the one right in the middle of the box...so she stood on top of the pizza and ate the toppings off the middle square...so much for my nephew and I eating more pizza.

I agree with the use of bitter apple to stop the chewing. Breaking that habit is the key. Buying tougher stuff will not prevent the pup from chewing. Bitter apple works like a charm in most cases.

Hazel, as it turned out, likes the taste of bitter apple. Breaking her of chewing was pure torture...and I still don't have her fully broken of it yet. I have been 90% successful in redirecting her chewing to include only approved items....tough rubber balls, bones....that sort of stuff. She has not chewed any more keyboard cords, electrical cords or furniture for a while. Though she did do a number on the shoe string in my left sneaker the other night.

OBIO

Obio, that pizza hijacking sounds like something our Min Pins would do. I've caught Sassy and Pebbles both working on a similar mission when I've forgot and left food on my desk. Left a couple of hamburgers & french fries on a plate once when I went to answer the phone. When I got back, the plate was empty down to the last fry. Just some smiling puppies hanging around on the floor. The little devils are smart, quick and master thieves.

SOH-CM-2023
    Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    Obio, that pizza hijacking sounds like something our Min Pins would do. I've caught Sassy and Pebbles both working on a similar mission when I've forgot and left food on my desk. Left a couple of hamburgers & french fries on a plate once when I went to answer the phone. When I got back, the plate was empty down to the last fry. Just some smiling puppies hanging around on the floor. The little devils are smart, quick and master thieves.
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=UMU9r2kee5c

:costumes::costumes::costumes::costumes:

Brian

I have bought items made from Planet Dog, and have been impressed with their quality:

http://www.planetdog.com/home/

NC

Quote Originally Posted by OBIO View Post

Hazel, as it turned out, likes the taste of bitter apple. Breaking her of chewing was pure torture...

OBIO
    reminds me of my very first dog. i bought this book called "no bad dogs" it said when you catch the dog poopin in the house give it a dose of hot sauce and they will stop doing it. ha! this dog loved hot sauce sooo much she'd suck the bottom out of the bottle if she could! :costumes:

also, i once had a fairly large iguanna that would fight you for a pizza.
    they're not supposed to have red veggies. she wasn't trying to hear that though

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=VnBjQDeZPag

I checked the coloring on mine to make sure he wasn't the guy above. After all, we don't know much about him...

He did find a "target of opportunity" cheesecake a few weeks back, while we were having a Christmas Party. hehe. That's my boy! My dad wanted to cut the dog eaten parts out and continue eating it....

We were in Pet Smart tonight and found a bunch of dog leads. The biggest problem is that he's all horsepower and we need stronger clasps, but not stronger cables. They just don't sell the clasps alone I guess.

Chris, remember one thing.... he's a hunting dog and has power to spare. His forte is running rabbits and birds. That nose of his will find whatever he wants at that particular moment if he's not trained. If it's a cheesecake or food on the table look out, it's his. :costumes:
    Gary -

Yep, Beagles are Big Block Dogs in Small Block Bodies...pure horsepower! They have energy that seems limitless. Exercise is the key to having a happy, healthy and well adjusted Beagle...same goes for any breed actually. A tired dog is a happy dog. Most dog problems arise from the dog having too much pent up energy. Give that Beagle something to do...fetching, agility...something to drain its energy level. Once the dog is worn down a good bit, then training can be much more successful. We had a Beagle when I was younger....that pooch pulled like a freight train. Once I took over his care from my younger sister, and began running with him every day, taking him for a walk was much more pleasant.

OBIO

SOH-CM-2023
    The other problem with Beagles is once their nose engages, their brain disengages!

I've got a German Shepherd/Malamute mix like that.

Brian

Hals und Bein Bruch
    Goitta say,... OBIO said the smartest thing I've herd about dogs EVER..!

I walk him whenever time and weather cooperate. Once he gets through the terrible twos, he should calm down some.

I had to get him a harness for walking. He took a header off the couch and had to go to the vet a few weeks back. He pinched a nerve in his neck that required medicine and constant neck rubs for a week or so. He seems to do a bit better walking on the harness.