SOH Team Project - Grumman Tracker, Trader, Tracer - Page 83
Page 83 of 119 FirstFirst ... 3373757677787980818283848586878889909193 ... LastLast
Results 2,051 to 2,075 of 2967

Thread: SOH Team Project - Grumman Tracker, Trader, Tracer

Cat Launches are possible in FSX Accel, the bridle would be part of the ship animation (I think).

T

Quote Originally Posted by fliger747 View Post
    Cat Launches are possible in FSX Accel, the bridle would be part of the ship animation (I think).

T
    Well, it appears the bride is part of the plane animation.
    I have just launched the S2F3 from the Clemenceau, and the bride doesn't appear. However, when I try to launch the Wyvern or the Etendard, the bride is there. So that means that the bride is part of the plane model.

Come to think of it, what was the first aircraft to use a launch bar? The Phantom, Crusader, Skyhawk and Vigilante (as well as other types) used strops/bridles up until their retirement as did all of the RN fixed-wing up to the Harrier, and the French still use them for the Super Etendard. Might have been the A-7, as it uses a launch bar, or possibly the Hawkeye/Greyhound.

As far as animation, the IRIS Phantom FG.1 has a launch animation as well, activated by using the Concorde visor angle keys:

Reference the bridal, I'm not 100% sure how you'd work it in FS9 as I can't remember what variables are available that are appropriate.
    In FSX what I've done is model the bridal as part of the aircraft and then set the visibility based on the aircraft being attached to the catapult, the code looks something like this:

<PartInfo>
    <Name>strop</Name>
    <Visibility>
    <Parameter>
    <Code>
    (A:SIM ON GROUND,Bool) 0 >
    (A:LAUNCHBAR HELD EXTENDED,Bool) 0 &gt; &amp;&amp;
    if{ 1 } els{ 0 }
    </Code>
    </Parameter>
    </Visibility>
    </PartInfo>

I can't remember why I checked if the aircraft is on the ground or not but it seemed to work better that way...

Quote Originally Posted by SkippyBing View Post
    Reference the bridal, I'm not 100% sure how you'd work it in FS9 as I can't remember what variables are available that are appropriate.
    In FSX what I've done is model the bridal as part of the aircraft and then set the visibility based on the aircraft being attached to the catapult, the code looks something like this:

<PartInfo>
    <Name>strop</Name>
    <Visibility>
    <Parameter>
    <Code>
    (A:SIM ON GROUND,Bool) 0 >
    (A:LAUNCHBAR HELD EXTENDED,Bool) 0 &gt; &amp;&amp;
    if{ 1 } els{ 0 }
    </Code>
    </Parameter>
    </Visibility>
    </PartInfo>

I can't remember why I checked if the aircraft is on the ground or not but it seemed to work better that way...
    Well, thank you SB. I will try this once converted to FS9 format.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

I converted the code to FS9 format xml and tried the following:

<!-- custom anims for Hiding Bridle by SkippyBing -->
    <Part>
    <Name>strop</Name>
    <visible_in_range>
    <Parameter>
    <Code>
    (L:SIM ON GROUND,Bool) 0 >
    (L:LAUNCHBAR HELD EXTENDED,Bool) 0 > &&
    if{ 1 } els{ 0 }
    </Code>
    </Parameter>
    </visible_in_range>
    </Part>
    I get an error on open as follows:

A name was started with an invalid character. Error processing resource
    'file:///C:/gmax/plugins/mkmdl.parts.xml'. Line 43...
    (L:LAUNCHBAR HELD EXTENDED,Bool) 0 > &&
    Any ideas?
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Megadog

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    Thanks for that input. Frankly, I have never heard of the bridle, and of all the pictures I have and scoured, I do not recall seeing it. Interesting.
    Milt,

I am a little late in giving all of you on the Grummans project a Bravo Zulu on an outstanding job! The Fudd needs the same yoke as the S-2s and that is the only change that i would make. I have included the best vatapult holdback/bridle info i have seen.

http://warships1discussionboards.yuk...catcher?page=1

Megadog: Wonderful illustrations. Just what we were looking for.

Milton: There was ALWAYS a holdback cable, in addition to the bridle. In fs9, using either "ARRCab 2.6", "3 wire" etc., the "holdback" feature (which would I would think should also display the bridle) was using the set brakes key combination (Ctrl + .). The launch command (which released the brakes) was triggered by depressing the period key. Depressing this key would also make the bridle disappear.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Wings of Gold View Post
    Megadog: Wonderful illustrations. Just what we were looking for.

Milton: There was ALWAYS a holdback cable, in addition to the bridle. In fs9, using either "ARRCab 2.6", "3 wire" etc., the "holdback" feature (which would I would think should also display the bridle) was using the set brakes key combination (Ctrl + .). The launch command (which released the brakes) was triggered by depressing the period key. Depressing this key would also make the bridle disappear.

Bill
    Bill,

Although I understanding what you are saying, from a modeler's perspective, I have no clue what you are talking about re: "ARRCab 2.6", "3 wire". I have never seen these things in FS9 from a modeling standpoint in the SDK's or in FS9 commands.

If these have been implemented on other aircraft, they were custom coded through XML as far as I know.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    Bill,

Although I understanding what you are saying, from a modeler's perspective, I have no clue what you are talking about re: "ARRCab 2.6", "3 wire". I have never seen these things in FS9 from a modeling standpoint in the SDK's or in FS9 commands.

If these have been implemented on other aircraft, they were custom coded through XML as far as I know.
    It seems to me that this type of thing should be part of the ARRCab addon, instead of the aircraft.
    looks more like an addition to the carrier to me.
    JohnH_049

Hi Milton,

I should have explained that in order to catapult or "trap" any airplane in Fs9, you need to have a freeware program that lets the airplane stop when it lands in the area that has the aircraft wires (and catapult by using a couple of key commands). The most common of these programs is "ARRCab 2.6" (available at the normal download sites) and "3 wire". These were so popular that FSX (the "Acceleration" version) has this feature built in. That's the reason that Skippy had FSX SDK codes for these features. In my previous post I told you the key command that are needed in either ARRCab 2.6 or 3 wire to start and complete the catapult function. If the S-2 (and the others) will display the Bridle and hold back cables when those command are given, then those cables will be displayed at the appropriate times when the S-2 etc. is launched (catapulted) using either of the Fs9 programs necessary (ARRCab 2.6 or 3 wire). I think that this will accomplish what is necessary for fs9 (unless there is something in your modelling magic that I don't understand). I'll try to get Skippy to review my comments here. Bill

If that is the case, then I am sure that the program has to communicate with FS9 through an interface, then the modeled "parts" would have to be named appropriately, and would have to have some code to hide/unhide the parts.

Depending on the requirements to make this work, I might consider giving it a shot for the S2F-1 only, as time allows. I have three other projects going, two in final phases, and the Lockheed Harpoon in "heavy lifting" stage right now. :-)
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Back on the job after a wet, wet, weekend and although still drying out I managed to get the fuselage panels almost done tonight.

Attachment 65565 Attachment 65566

Attachment 65568
    Duckie

"I hate to see you go, but I love to watch you leave!"

Intel i9-9900K; Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Cooler; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi;
    ASUS Dual RTX 2070 Super OC EVO; Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB 3200;
    WD Black 500GB PCIe M.2 SSD; 3 Samsung 860 EVO SSD; WD Black 2TB HDD;
    Corsair RM 850x Gold Full Modular PSU; Phanteks P600S Mid Tower; Win10 Pro
    My SOH Downloads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=79620&sort=d

That's looking great Sir! I know it involves a lot of tedious work and the effort sure shows. Thank you so much!
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Members +
    Blog Entries
    Lovely! The project is looking fantastic. I did notice a small glitch in the rudder animation-sorry! If you look at the Stoofs rudder, you will note that there are 2 segments, forward and aft. The aft section is the flight rudder, that is to say, it is the segment connected by cables to the rudder pedals, and is the only segment moving in normal flight. The forward segment is normally locked in trail unless the SERA-single engine rudder assist- switch on the center console ( moved to the yoke in Firecats) is on, in which case, a hydraulic servo (on the right side under the stab in that big fairing) powers the forward segment of the rudder. The actuating 'signal' comes from a walking beam/cam and roller mess in the back that engages on a solinoid that powers up when the switch is thrown. The rudder goes over normally, and about a second and a half latter, the forward segment starts to follow. It takes about 4-5 seconds for the powered section to travel from stop to stop. The system was engineered to avoid excessive rudder forces from a big barn door on the back end, but will give the pilots enough rudder authority to control the aircraft with an engine out. Trivia-the SERA actuator also incorperates the rudder trim electric jack screw.
    It looks fantastic. Waiting eagerly for the finals of the project.

Question

Hiya,

Quote Originally Posted by Duckie View Post
    Back on the job after a wet, wet, weekend and although still drying out I managed to get the fuselage panels almost done tonight.
    Looking good!!!

@ALL/Milton: does anyone volunteer for the MLD (Marine Luchtvaart Dienst) repaint of the S-2F1? More than happy to give it a go.

Regards,

Marcel

Quote Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
    Lovely! The project is looking fantastic. I did notice a small glitch in the rudder animation-sorry! If you look at the Stoofs rudder, you will note that there are 2 segments, forward and aft. The aft section is the flight rudder, that is to say, it is the segment connected by cables to the rudder pedals, and is the only segment moving in normal flight. The forward segment is normally locked in trail unless the SERA-single engine rudder assist- switch on the center console ( moved to the yoke in Firecats) is on, in which case, a hydraulic servo (on the right side under the stab in that big fairing) powers the forward segment of the rudder. The actuating 'signal' comes from a walking beam/cam and roller mess in the back that engages on a solinoid that powers up when the switch is thrown. The rudder goes over normally, and about a second and a half latter, the forward segment starts to follow. It takes about 4-5 seconds for the powered section to travel from stop to stop. The system was engineered to avoid excessive rudder forces from a big barn door on the back end, but will give the pilots enough rudder authority to control the aircraft with an engine out. Trivia-the SERA actuator also incorperates the rudder trim electric jack screw.
    It looks fantastic. Waiting eagerly for the finals of the project.
    Thanks for that explanation; well described. It is true that both are acting as rudders with the aft rudder linked to the leading one. I am aware of the purpose having read the Pilots Handbook but had no way of implementing that feature. The forward rudder does act as a catalyst of sorts amplifying the moves of the aft rudder as implemented in the sim. That's the best I could do without gauge programming. Hope you can continue to enjoy the stoof series in spite of that shortcoming. I appreciate the added knowledge in your highlight.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by mgr View Post
    Hiya,

Looking good!!!

@ALL/Milton: does anyone volunteer for the MLD (Marine Luchtvaart Dienst) repaint of the S-2F1? More than happy to give it a go.

Regards,

Marcel
    Hello Marcel :-)

Duckie is hard at work on the initial paints and paint kit (although interrupted with water heater issues). Please communicate with him regarding his intentions for the 2-3 paints that will be part of the package. It would be great to have your talents exhibited on the S2F-1. Your work on the C-1A was spectacular.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Paintshop still open!

While patiently( :mixedsmi: ) waiting for the S2F-1, I'm still slappin' paint on the S2F-3 and have a couple C-1's in the works. This S-2E of VS-23 "Black Cats" will be up this weekend some time.

Dave

VS-37 S-2G

Another one in the paint locker. VS-37's last Tracker cruise in 1974. The CAG's bird.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Rallymodeller View Post
    Come to think of it, what was the first aircraft to use a launch bar? The Phantom, Crusader, Skyhawk and Vigilante (as well as other types) used strops/bridles up until their retirement as did all of the RN fixed-wing up to the Harrier, and the French still use them for the Super Etendard. Might have been the A-7, as it uses a launch bar, or possibly the Hawkeye/Greyhound.
    The Grumman A-6A Intruder was the first introducing the launch bar ( late 1950's !)

Cheers,
    Hank

Beautiful work Dave. Thank you for all these variants. Great stuff!
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here