SOH Team Project - Grumman Tracker, Trader, Tracer - Page 4
Page 4 of 119 FirstFirst 1234567891011121454104 ... LastLast

Thread: SOH Team Project - Grumman Tracker, Trader, Tracer

SOH-CM-2020
    Milton,

Can't help with the engine pics.

The closest we have in our museum is a Wright Whirlwind J5 , 220 Hp , ex Lockheed L-10a.

Or a pair of P&W 2800's

Pete.

PS : I knew we had another one ..... it was shifted to a different location in the complex ....

A Wright Cyclone 9 1200 Hp off a Hudson.

Uncle Milton! Wow! That was fast!!! Its looking so good!!!
    "If three-holers are gas guzzlers, why are there four-holers now???"
    "But what do i know? I'm just the 800 pound guerrilla in the room."

Fire! Fire! Your pants better not be on fire....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    Making some basic progress (i.e. just the basics) on wings and nacelles.

Attachment 45780Attachment 45781Attachment 45782Attachment 45783

OY!!!!!!!!!!!! She is looking fabulous, not as fabulous as getting her into FSX once she is completed for FS9 first:mixedsmi: Awesome work Uncle Milton:ernae:

I'm with the FAA and I'm here to help you.....................Now gimme a hug!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    Stickies are usually reserved for new releases and other special announcements that need to stay at the top even if they haven't had recent replies. This thread doesn't need to be stickied because there's plenty of activity to keep it at the top anyway.
    Yep, and should this thread slip into the "no new posts" category, some wise guy like me will it back to the top.

Looking great, Milton!
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteHam View Post
    Milton,

Can't help with the engine pics.

The closest we have in our museum is a Wright Whirlwind J5 , 220 Hp , ex Lockheed L-10a.

Or a pair of P&W 2800's

Pete.

PS : I knew we had another one ..... it was shifted to a different location in the complex ....

A Wright Cyclone 9 1200 Hp off a Hudson.
    No problem Pete. There must be pics out there somewhere ... just need to find them.

Quote Originally Posted by Cag40Navy View Post
    Uncle Milton! Wow! That was fast!!! Its looking so good!!!
    Well, these are the basics shapes of the objects; just getting started. I hope to get the control surfaces cut in this weekend and get started on the gear. Like closing in a house, the real work is ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by euroastar350 View Post
    OY!!!!!!!!!!!! She is looking fabulous, not as fabulous as getting her into FSX once she is completed for FS9 first:mixedsmi: Awesome work Uncle Milton:ernae:
    I appreciate your help with the native FSX side. Will you be wanting to do your own mapping, or use the FS9 mapping as a start?

Quote Originally Posted by stansdds View Post
    Yep, and should this thread slip into the "no new posts" category, some wise guy like me will it back to the top.

Looking great, Milton!
    Thank you Sir
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Here are some lit wireframes of my current status as a starting point. Now the work begins.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Just did a test export to "audit" the mesh. Looking good so far.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    Would a Shvetsov engine from an An-2 do (As it is a development of the R1820)? There's one not too far from here. Will also try to take a few shots from the two Trackers at the Aviodrome next weekend!

Do you need any specific details on the outside?
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    Just did a test export to "audit" the mesh. Looking good so far.
    Yep!

Doesn't the Tracer have the same bulging side windows on the cockpit like the Tracker has?
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

The only thing prettier than a radial engine is 2 of them! Looking forward to this bird.....maybe not the E-1, but the others without the radome luggage rack for sure. I fly the DSB/IRIS Grumman S-3B Viking a lot...and the Tracker/Trader/Tracer has a very similar look, but with real engines...meaning RADIALS....instead of hair dryers.

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SOH-CM-2024
    Blog Entries

E-1B Info

Attachment 45853Attachment 45849Attachment 45850Attachment 45851Attachment 45852

I found an R-1820 pic for a T-28. Maybe they can be used. Also have added the only close up picture I have found of the E-1's inbound flap. These are different than the units used on the C-1 and S-2. They were tested on a modified C-1 that had been used to test the E-1's aerodynamics. It had a modified tail section and this flap. However the wings still folded over the top of the fuselage and the nose section was not stretched. I also added one of the better in-flight shots of E-1.

Milton:

Looks like almost something to make flyable soon!

Cheers: Tom

she's looking fantastic! already grinning from ear to ear in anticipation! Bravo Zulu!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferry_vO View Post
    Would a Shvetsov engine from an An-2 do (As it is a development of the R1820)? There's one not too far from here. Will also try to take a few shots from the two Trackers at the Aviodrome next weekend!

Do you need any specific details on the outside?
    Any 1820-82 should do, I think. I forget what the WA stands for.
    I have many detailed exterior pictures. Any interior shots should be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferry_vO View Post
    Yep!

Doesn't the Tracer have the same bulging side windows on the cockpit like the Tracker has?
    Yes it does. I just haven't gotten that far yet. Just getting started here.

Quote Originally Posted by AJ-2P View Post
    Attachment 45853Attachment 45849Attachment 45850Attachment 45851Attachment 45852

I found an R-1820 pic for a T-28. Maybe they can be used. Also have added the only close up picture I have found of the E-1's inbound flap. These are different than the units used on the C-1 and S-2. They were tested on a modified C-1 that had been used to test the E-1's aerodynamics. It had a modified tail section and this flap. However the wings still folded over the top of the fuselage and the nose section was not stretched. I also added one of the better in-flight shots of E-1.
    That looks great ... some I haven't seen. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Westcott View Post
    Thanks Richard. Some good stuff there.

Quote Originally Posted by fliger747 View Post
    Milton:

Looks like almost something to make flyable soon!

Cheers: Tom
    It is flyable, but hope to have gear by Monday. Still working on control surfaces, windows, fuse tail.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoothie View Post
    she's looking fantastic! already grinning from ear to ear in anticipation! Bravo Zulu!
    Thanks Matt. It'll be a month before I can get to the mapping. I appreciate your enthusiasm.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Blog Entries
    Uncle Milton,

I'll use the mapping you'll be applying on this model as it will be easier for painters to switch textures from one sim to another, if this is okay with you:ernae:

Quote Originally Posted by euroastar350 View Post
    Uncle Milton,

I'll use the mapping you'll be applying on this model as it will be easier for painters to switch textures from one sim to another, if this is okay with you:ernae:
    That's okay with me mate. I'll proceed.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Lots of progress today on control surfaces of wings and tails, plus windows.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Charter Member 2012 nigel richards's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Lots of progress today on control surfaces of wings and tails, plus windows.
    :salute: Stunning work, Milton!

Looks like I'll have the real testbed for checking out the sounds soon.

I have a rough-cut 100% exterior sounds now. If you wish, I could pass them over to you for a wringing out.
    Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

Blog Entries
    That's okay with me mate. I'll proceed.

Works well for too. Awaiting the final release mesh for conversion:ernae:

Hi Milton. I just came back from our Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum and lo and behold - they have a Tracker in their collection. So I took some reference photos for you which you might be able to use. If you need any particular shots, let me know and I'll drive over and get them. Anything I can do to help you out, just ask.

Doug

and a couple more...

Thanks Doug; great shots!
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

wow and a thanks from me Doug! any chance you can zip 'em up and shoot them in an e-mail (or two) to me for paintkit creation usage when the time comes?
    :salute:

Milton, I'll be working with euroastar350 on the FSX conversion since we both work together on projects. Since he informed me about this project, I was able to get some photos of the landing gear as well as the gear bay when I visited a retired aircraft carrier a few days ago. Got a few snaps of the engine as well, but probably not exactly what you need. He should be sending them to you shortly. Cheers. :ernae:

By the way, the modeling work so far looks fantastic!