SOH Team Project - Grumman Tracker, Trader, Tracer - Page 34
Page 34 of 119 FirstFirst ... 2426272829303132333435363738394041424484 ... LastLast

Thread: SOH Team Project - Grumman Tracker, Trader, Tracer

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    Hey guys,

Meet Barney and Fred

cheers,
    jan
    Wow! Those are incredible. Thanks.

Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    Starting thhe C-1A today. Looking for more cabin interior pictures. Have 3, all different of course.
    No hurry, but will need next week sometime. Otherwise will work off these 3 pics from the web.
    Thanks
    To make it more difficult, version 4... ;-) Nice white, however love your 2th version, so very 70's

Marcel

Wow! Great shots Marcel
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

I'm really looking forward to the release of this project!!! I know little or nothing about this bird, so would appreciate one of the resident experts here to help me out. Ultimately, I'd like to have the version Canada used. Is one of the variants under development the version used here in Canada, or is one of the variants close enough?
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by aeronca1 View Post
    I'm really looking forward to the release of this project!!! I know little or nothing about this bird, so would appreciate one of the resident experts here to help me out. Ultimately, I'd like to have the version Canada used. Is one of the variants under development the version used here in Canada, or is one of the variants close enough?
    Aeronca1

The S2F-1 being developed by Javis will be close to it. I'm not sure which type of engine nacelles he'll be using, maybe he'll do both the hawksbill and the earlier one. The earlier one was what the Canadian CS2F's had.

Dave

I think this explains it pretty well:

http://jproc.ca/rrp/rrp3/tracker.html
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Dave:

perhaps you or one of the other fire bomber types might know the weight per gallon for the retardant. Apparently the Firecat could haul up to 1200 gallons (a considerable weight!).

T

Thanks Dave! You to Milton!!!!
    Matt

The C-1A Lives ...

This morning the C-1A began life in gmax. Parts of the fuselage from the E-1B (to be shortened), parts of the fuselage and vtail from the S2F, the htail from the S2F, the antennas as well for a starting point, the wings from the S2F (to be shortened), the gear from the E-1B, and of course an all new interior, save the cockpit from the E-1B.

Spent most of the morning perfecting the fuselage rounded, wider shape. This of course totally messes with the nose door and gear.

So, now the fun begins with the detailed work. Shorten the fuselage, move all the forward parts rearward, cut in windows and doors, shorten the wings, correct all the antennas, build the interior, and remap the complete aircraft.

So, here I go ....
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by fliger747 View Post
    Dave:

perhaps you or one of the other fire bomber types might know the weight per gallon for the retardant. Apparently the Firecat could haul up to 1200 gallons (a considerable weight!).

T
    We had this discussion when doing the F7F tanker. Check the weight used there.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by fliger747 View Post
    Dave:

T
    9.4lbs per gallon, which would be 11,280lbs :salute:

This morning the C-1A began life in gmax. Parts of the fuselage from the E-1B (to be shortened), parts of the fuselage and vtail from the S2F, the htail from the S2F, the antennas as well for a starting point, the wings from the S2F (to be shortened), the gear from the E-1B, and of course an all new interior, save the cockpit from the E-1B.

Spent most of the morning perfecting the fuselage rounded, wider shape. This of course totally messes with the nose door and gear.

So, now the fun begins with the detailed work. Shorten the fuselage, move all the forward parts rearward, cut in windows and doors, shorten the wings, correct all the antennas, build the interior, and remap the complete aircraft.

So, here I go ....
    Milton,

Don't forget to remove the CSD scoops on the right sides of the nacelles! The C-1 had DC generators and inverters vice AC Generators that needed the constant speed drives. Just a heads up! LOL!!!!

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by p3aewguy View Post
    Milton,

Don't forget to remove the CSD scoops on the right sides of the nacelles! The C-1 had DC generators and inverters vice AC Generators that needed the constant speed drives. Just a heads up! LOL!!!!

Dave
    Thanks Dave. Yup, did that early yesterday, but spent most of the day shortening the fuselage and moving all the parts rearward. clipping the wings, and shaping the revised fuselage. Now with all the "heavy lifting" done, I can get focused on cutting in the windows and doors, and the other differentiating aspects of this aircraft.

Now getting ready to cut in the doors and windows. Anyone with issues about how these windows are placed?
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Thanks for the weight on the retardant, I remember it as being surprisingly heavy!

T

C-1A Progress

Yup, still chipping away. Windows now in, TWA added back to port side, now set up in the sim for testing.

Made her a bit more "squatty" to improve appearance.

Next up, passenger and cargo doors.

Still much to do.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Yup, still chipping away. Windows now in, TWA added back to port side, now set up in the sim for testing.

Made her a bit more "squatty" to improve appearance.

Next up, passenger and cargo doors.

Still much to do.
    Looks like a COD!!

Dave

Looks like a COD!!

Dave
    You bet!

Finally got the windows and doors 3D and animated, and interior fuselage of cabin built to accommodate them.
    Punching in all these holes means a lot of hand rework of the fuselage so it takes some time.
    Worked on antennas a bit but still need to redo some rigging.

TWA animation had to be adjusted for the port side, works nicely now.

I do have a question regarding the COD passenger door and cargo door workings.
    Is the passenger door hinged on the Cargo door (appears to be).
    Does the passenger door have to be opened before the cargo door is opened as a result?

Thanks for the help.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

You bet!

Finally got the windows and doors 3D and animated, and interior fuselage of cabin built to accommodate them.
    Punching in all these holes means a lot of hand rework of the fuselage so it takes some time.
    Worked on antennas a bit but still need to redo some rigging.

TWA animation had to be adjusted for the port side, works nicely now.

I do have a question regarding the COD passenger door and cargo door workings.
    Is the passenger door hinged on the Cargo door (appears to be).
    Does the passenger door have to be opened before the cargo door is opened as a result?

Thanks for the help.
    Funny you asking that! I was looking that up today in the NATOPS manual. The passenger is hinged on the forward side to the Cargo door, which is hinged on the forward side also and is actually bolted closed. The passenger door latches open at about 90 degrees. When un-bolted the cargo door then opens and is restrained by a bar attached to the door and fuselage. So the answer is yes, the passenger door must be opened and latched before the cargo door can be opened. The cargo door opens about 100-110 degrees. The picture is in figure 8-4 which is on page 8-8 of the flight manual.

Cheers,
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by tankerguy72 View Post
    9.4lbs per gallon, which would be 11,280lbs :salute:
    That weight and lbs per gallon is for the old D-75F retardant. If you would like the weight and lbs per gallon for the new P-100 retardant I can get that for you.

Well, I'm finally movin' on up. I just ordered a copy of FS2004 after all these years, and can't wait to see this beauty flying around in it. Keep up the good work, guys, and thanks.

Funny you asking that! I was looking that up today in the NATOPS manual. The passenger is hinged on the forward side to the Cargo door, which is hinged on the forward side also and is actually bolted closed. The passenger door latches open at about 90 degrees. When un-bolted the cargo door then opens and is restrained by a bar attached to the door and fuselage. So the answer is yes, the passenger door must be opened and latched before the cargo door can be opened. The cargo door opens about 100-110 degrees. The picture is in figure 8-4 which is on page 8-8 of the flight manual.

Cheers,
    Dave
    Ahhh, thank you Dave for doing the reading while I am buried in gmax. I animated the passenger door, but linked to the cargo door so one would have to open before the other. It works fine but one could open the cargo door and do some serious damage to the passenger door and nacelle.

Without xml controlling it, I cannot restrict the sequence of things.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by ktmdudeone View Post
    That weight and lbs per gallon is for the old D-75F retardant. If you would like the weight and lbs per gallon for the new P-100 retardant I can get that for you.
    If not too much trouble, that would be good info to have. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by patful View Post
    Well, I'm finally movin' on up. I just ordered a copy of FS2004 after all these years, and can't wait to see this beauty flying around in it. Keep up the good work, guys, and thanks.
    That's great to hear! I plan however to provide FS2002 versions although in some ways constrained. So, if FS9 causes you pain, all is not lost.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Project Team Roles and Responsibilities, and Assignments

Here is what I have for now for who is doing what based on my understanding of commitments.

There are open slots so if interested, let us know.

I am leaving the slots for the S2F-1 for Javis to fill as I am not sure yet what he wishes to do himself.

Note that I purposely left off all the many source data contributors trying to focus on the aircraft package contents instead.
    We appreciate all the efforts of the SOH members in his thread to help pull this project off in record time.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Blog Entries
    Uncle Milton,

I will be honored to do the FSX conversion for the rest of the models for you. I've been on the sideline for a bit, bit I should get into the groove converting the models over for you:ernae:

I'm with the FAA and I'm here to help you.....................Now gimme a hug!

Quote Originally Posted by euroastar350 View Post
    Uncle Milton,

I will be honored to do the FSX conversion for the rest of the models for you. I've been on the sideline for a bit, bit I should get into the groove converting the models over for you:ernae:
    Thank you euroastar; we appreciate your efforts.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here