SOH Team Project - Grumman Tracker, Trader, Tracer - Page 33
Page 33 of 119 FirstFirst ... 2325262728293031323334353637383940414383 ... LastLast

Thread: SOH Team Project - Grumman Tracker, Trader, Tracer

Quote Originally Posted by gaucho_59 View Post
    Just a little Hi... I've been doing some preliminary work to practice on my skinning... thought you might like to see
    what I have done so far... it still needs weathering... Do you think it can be up to the high standards you have set?

Attachment 50055
    Looks pretty good! One thing, the Tracer didn't have a bomb bay. The left side shows a hinge line that wouldn't be there on the E-1B. Also, the E-1B and C-1A had slightly fatter fuselages and didn't have the bulge behind the cockpit side windows like the S2F did.

Dave

Blog Entries

No problem...

Quote Originally Posted by p3aewguy View Post
    Looks pretty good! One thing, the Tracer didn't have a bomb bay. The left side shows a hinge line that wouldn't be there on the E-1B. Also, the E-1B and C-1A had slightly fatter fuselages and didn't have the bulge behind the cockpit side windows like the S2F did.

Dave
    Thanks for the info... easy enough to correct the bulge and the piano hinge ... I am just trying my hand on it waiting for the real thing to be made available...
    As to the fatter fuselage... the mapping so far available is what it is... the model is like that I think... You might tell Milt about that... but I think his modelling
    is pretty accurate... (don't know much about this... I am just an illustrator artist...):salute:

Milton some new files adjusted for FS9. Some planes do well in both sims with similar files, this is not one of them. Please do not adjust my files, this is highly un appreciated. One thing affects another, especially do not approach within 10 km with Airwrench.

T

Quote Originally Posted by mgr View Post
    Hiya Milton,

Do you have the exact ratio with which you enlarged the textures? Did a quick test seems to be bit more then 150%.

Regards,

Marcel

[EDIT] Nevemind found it, it's 175% duh. ;-) btw Milton this is a very good improvement in resolution!

[EDIT2] Is it possible to fix fuse1.bmp, the bottom mapping to move 3 pixels to the left (based on 1024 pix) to get it exact alignment with the right and top fuselage?

Also for making repainting more strait forward is it possible to mirror/flip on fuse2.bmp the bottem and upper texture part? This way you get a better alignment as well. See below what i mean.

Marcel, I do see your point but you are asking for a lot for me in this situation. The 4th re-mapping of the fuselage and the 10-12 parts that are mapped with it to accommodate higher resolution required most of a full day and part of another to fix some things. I have also remapped one other aircraft the same way so I have about 3 days in remapping those two units. It is not a painless, quick process. So I ask that you accommodate me on this one.

Meanwhile I just finished up the S2Turbo CDF variant. I remapped the wings, nacelles, tails, and fuselage, another 16 hours of mapping. Higher resolution for the fuselage too but you will have the same issue there.

Quote Originally Posted by fliger747 View Post
    Milton some new files adjusted for FS9. Some planes do well in both sims with similar files, this is not one of them. Please do not adjust my files, this is highly un appreciated. One thing affects another, especially do not approach within 10 km with Airwrench.

T
    Gentleman, we have 5 aircraft variants in progress. I ask that you be patient with all of it while we work through the details or I will consider pulling back everything until done. We cannot have you making modifications to WIP variants and sharing results. It just confuses our efforts and the comments in the thread.

Please feel free to provide feedback and input but we need to know your setup when you make comments. Everyone sees things differently, especially on different platforms. If you provide input or feedback, we need to know what you are testing on, weather conditions (standard day for most flight tests), aircraft configuration when you are talking about takeoff, climb, cruise, descent, approach, etc.

Jacking around with MOI's or anything else is not helpful to our efforts. We do not want you to change and test; we want to know what you experience and in what environment, then we will address the issues the best we can. If when the project is delivered, you help yourself to any changes you like. Right now, this stuff can be experienced and commented on; that's it.

I understand the enthusiasm, but we have our hands full and we need sensitivity to the developers' efforts and time.

The S2F-1 and the C-1A are yet to be done. Let's not sour the dough before the projects are completed.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Charter Member 2012 nigel richards's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

Members +
    Blog Entries
    Looking terrific Gentlemen! WOW! Nigel, you're onto something there. Don't give up!. I'll have to muck about with some ideas I'm getting from you chaps about a paraflare now.

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    I understand the enthusiasm, but we have our hands full and we need sensitivity to the developers' efforts and time.

The S2F-1 and the C-1A are yet to be done. Let's not sour the dough before the projects are completed.
    Keep plugging along guys, there's no hurry. It's free , and every ounce of your efforts is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Pat

Quote Originally Posted by gaucho_59 View Post
    Thanks for the info... easy enough to correct the bulge and the piano hinge ... I am just trying my hand on it waiting for the real thing to be made available...
    As to the fatter fuselage... the mapping so far available is what it is... the model is like that I think... You might tell Milt about that... but I think his modelling
    is pretty accurate... (don't know much about this... I am just an illustrator artist...):salute:
    Milton had to go back and rework the S2F-3 to thin the fuselage and add the bulges behind the cockpit windows. He used the E-1B as the base to model it and didn't know about this either. If you look at the wire frames (attached) for the S2F you can see the line marking the edge of the bulge. No problems though.

I like your profiles! Do you have a large collection of them or are you starting out?

Dave

Blog Entries

Thank you... for all the info

Quote Originally Posted by p3aewguy View Post
    Milton had to go back and rework the S2F-3 to thin the fuselage and add the bulges behind the cockpit windows. He used the E-1B as the base to model it and didn't know about this either. If you look at the wire frames (attached) for the S2F you can see the line marking the edge of the bulge. No problems though.

I like your profiles! Do you have a large collection of them or are you starting out?

Dave
    I have a large collection of profiles... started doing them back in 2001, I think, there is a large number of them in my site:
    http://westwood.fortunecity.com/chanel/132/index.html

which I have not revised in so many years... (I've been travelling a lot... from Italy where I lived since I retired form the US Army,
    to Germany, Hawaii, Korea, Germany again... etc. so I didn't put in much "puter" time... but now finally in the US for a while...
    I dedicate more time to it... and you can see the progress comparing my present collection to my early ones...
    I am planning to redo my site sometime soon...
    Had to develop a style, so to speak.... and now I am pretty much where I wanted to be when I started the site
    I have literally myriad unfinished profiles to do.. this is a Hellcat I was working on when I got bit by
    the Milton's S2 fever
    Attachment 50091

I've completed both a nice 2d panel and textures for a redo model I am also working on.... to wit:

Attachment 50092

Yes, library objects can be attached.

Just reading the SDK again and it repeats "Scenery Only".

Here is the whole spiel indicating that XML XFILE extensions can be used to use the attachpoint feature:

<snip>

Any ideas that would move this effort forward is appreciated so I appreciate your interest and questions. Keep'em coming. Or if you wish to jump in and try some things, I will send you te necessary stuff.
    Thanks for the encouragement but as a novice in the presence of masters it's a bit intimidating to throw in with you guys. But I do believe in 'from the mouth of babes' sometimes comes wisdom, or in this case a fresh idea. As I've not once used the attach tool nor apparently read the docs with my glasses on I was a bit unaware of the limitations of the uses of the tool, and how aircraft MDL's differ from terrain. It did occur to me this morning that light is an effect not unlike smoke, and may simply be placeable (and editable) like exhaust smoke without a node in the model. <edit> Only 1 smoke system- busted again. I've never created a custom effect controller, is that possible for aircraft ? I mean are we limited to the predefined tokens listed in the aircraft container SDK ?

I realize now that Nigel is truly on to something, and after I install and read the effectsSDK I may take you up on your offer to send me the materials to help out.

Keep up the GREAT work guys,
    "May fortune favor the foolish"
    MaddogK

Hello Tom,

T
    I'm sorry if I, in my enthusiasm did something to offend you, there was no harm indented. I've removed the modified files from my server.

Do not know what you have against Airwrench but my experience is that the accurate most of the time, and really show the effects of change you make either to the aircraft.cfg and/or air-file. Mind i am modifying flightmodels since the good old FS98 days.

Regards,

Marcel

Quote Originally Posted by mgr View Post
    Hello Tom,

I'm sorry if I, in my enthusiasm did something to offend you, there was no harm indented. I've removed the modified files from my server.

Do not know what you have against Airwrench but my experience is that the accurate most of the time, and really show the effects of change you make either to the aircraft.cfg and/or air-file. Mind i am modifying flightmodels since the good old FS98 days.

Regards,

Marcel
    Marcel,

No, you did not offend me in any way. I do appreciate your enthusiasm and all the help. All of you have been super at contributing.

We have a lot of things going on with the team simultaneously and we need to minimize confusion, keep the feedback and input well organized so it will be more beneficial, and not be be confusing the task at hand with comments regarding privately modified files.

Let's keep focused, provide meaningful input and feedback by identifying specifically the aircraft, the conditions, configurations, and your problem or recommendations.

Believe me, we would not be where we are had it not been for all of you doing the research, providing drawings, manuals, reference pictures, input, and feedback along the way, just when needed.

On our part, with so much in progress on 4 fronts, it does get confusing, rework is frustrating, and we have to maintain our sanity, energy levels, and motivation. Keep feedback and input positive and we will try to deliver 6 aircraft that you will hopefully feel part of building, and will enjoy for years to come.

Thanks to all of you for your help, interest, and patience.

For the last two days, I have revisited the S2Turbo military variant and have it about wrapped up.

Meanwhile, I have also take some screenies in gmax of the 4 aircraft for your viewing pleasure.
    Javis is providing a pilot and co-pilot soon, and he will then begin work on the S2F-1.
    Once I get the pilots on-board, I will begin on the C-1A.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

A few more ...

Pics taken in gmax of the 4 aircraft ...

You can get a sense of the many parts. I just noticed the S2Turbo military version has 1150 parts and I know the round engines variants have over 1200 parts each.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Blog Entries

Artwork!

Pics taken in gmax of the 4 aircraft ...You can get a sense of the many parts. I just noticed the S2Turbo military version has 1150 parts and I know the round engines variants have over 1200 parts each.

Sir, may I ask you to please, please retain those views somewhere safe on your HD. When the dust is settled after all the hard work is behind us, I for one would appreciate a couple of those and have them framed as 'line drawings'.

Thankyou.

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

What can I say? I'm in awe by what The Stoof Team has achieved so far. Thank you so much for all that great work and patience.

Cheers,
    Maarten

Quote Originally Posted by Maarten View Post
    What can I say? I'm in awe by what The Stoof Team has achieved so far. Thank you so much for all that great work and patience.

Cheers,
    Maarten
    Thank you Maarten,we have some really great SOH members helping us get this done, some great expertise here. That we got this much accomplished since the August 1st start date, is a testament to that.

Frankly though, I am looking forward to what Jan will bring to the table with the S2F-1.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Blog Entries

Sound progress update...

Wright R-1820-82WA sounds

Having aquired significant new sound recordings, work on the re-make of these sounds has been pushed forward enough to convice me of the validity in cutting a final version. They are predominantly changes to exterior sounds.

On completion these will be forwarded to Milton.

Garrett TPE331 turbo sound

Good progress is now being made; completion now well within sight.

Question:
    Can the startup pt1 (pre-ignition) and shutdown sequences be extended by about 7 seconds each, without;

1.) Causing new headaches for Milton?

2.) Gauges or other time consuming side-tracks?

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

What I have against Airwrench? It is a good tool and Jerry has contributed much to the sim world over the years. However run Airwrench and it changes everything, in ways you do not know about. A lot of things need to be individually handled, such as the engine friction and power curves, the airfoil lift curves and many others. Run Airwrench and everything is changed, everything, using some other assumptions. I ultimatly rely on a lot of calibrated test flying for performance (this takes a long time!) and some 22,000 hours as a pilot from everything to light aircraft on high mountain glaciers, landing Herks on the Arctic Sea Ice, to flying the 747-Dreamlifter to get them to fly like planes.

These things go through a lot of iterations, a lot.

T

Blog Entries

Proof of the pudding is in the eating...

What I have against Airwrench? It is a good tool and Jerry has contributed much to the sim world over the years. However run Airwrench and it changes everything, in ways you do not know about. A lot of things need to be individually handled, such as the engine friction and power curves, the airfoil lift curves and many others. Run Airwrench and everything is changed, everything, using some other assumptions. I ultimatly rely on a lot of calibrated test flying for performance (this takes a long time!) and some 22,000 hours as a pilot from everything to light aircraft on high mountain glaciers, landing Herks on the Arctic Sea Ice, to flying the 747-Dreamlifter to get them to fly like planes.

These things go through a lot of iterations, a lot.

T
    You do get them to fly like planes indeed Tom!

Infact it's this most rare combination of Milton's supreme modelling craftsmanship, together with your unmistakable expertise and talent in creating a true flight envelope that provides the community with these truly unsurpassed aircraft.

Your knowledge and expertise is recognizable to anyone fortunate enough to be flying them.

Thankyou Tom.

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

C-1A Trader

Starting thhe C-1A today. Looking for more cabin interior pictures. Have 3, all different of course.

No hurry, but will need next week sometime. Otherwise will work off these 3 pics from the web.

Thanks
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Hey guys,

Meet Barney and Fred :

(don't mind the shoes, hidden behind the panel )

In FS9 :

USN APH-5 Helmets, gold with day-glow striping. Color can be easily changed. USN-Mk2 life vest.

Head cushion can be re-colored easily too if you like.

Tick 18 head animation for both pilot and co-pilot. For the moment no lims anims yet, maybe later.

Milton : i'll have them report to your office asap. Be sure to check their credentials. Who doesn't wanna fly a Tracker, Trader, or Tracer these days !

Btw, great pics of the C1A cabin ! First time for me to see some ! :ernae:

cheers,
    jan

AMAZING WORK Jan!!! they look great!

talking about the hand animation.. any way to have the pilots right hand hanging from the throttle levers?

Awesome work, squared! You are quite the designer, mapper, and texture artist my friend. Excellent work! Thank you so much from all of us.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Thanks, Tanker !

Yeah, thought about that but he would get awfully tired like that, wouldn't he... If i get a chance to do the lims anims i'll try and have him grab the throttle only when it's applied.

cheers,
    jan

Thank YOU, Milton, Sir ! :salute:

Awfully glad to contribute my 2 cents to your exiting Stoof project ! It's a great pleasure ! :ernae:

cheers,
    Jan