SOH Team Project - Grumman Tracker, Trader, Tracer - Page 26
Page 26 of 119 FirstFirst ... 1618192021222324252627282930313233343676 ... LastLast

Thread: SOH Team Project - Grumman Tracker, Trader, Tracer

Fliger, if you can track down any Stoof drivers, ask them about coupling. I remember one chap telling me that because of the Stoof's short fuselage, there was greater-than-normal coupling between two axes. That was 45 years ago, so I'm not sure which two.

Milton, I've got the 4 animations: wing fold, tail hook, crew door and radome/MAD/antenna. Are there any others I've missed?

This is a fabulous model, even without the squadron paints. When combined with its other siblings (-1, Willy, COD and a possible turbo variant) the set will become a true collector's must-have. Congratulations!!! :salute::salute::salute:

- H52
    A tad high and a tad hot is better than a tad low and a tad slow - H52

You Guys are All Wonderful :)

That's why I love doing things for SOH members and friends.

While we await other progress, I thought I would try to make some progress on the military variant of the S2T.

Later I will do the civilianized one.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye52 View Post
    Now that I understand the source of the trembling, I can live with it. Realistic "hanging" and "riding" are my preference.

I actually had my cockpit value set at 36%. When I went to 100% I did not notice any change; reloaded the a/c and still no change. (NOTE: I'm referring to INTERIOR sounds; exterior is fine). I'm not clear on what you mean by "on the computer".
    - H52
    I meant how high do you have your audio volume turned up for music or videos. By default, it is at 50%. I have mine at 100% so that may be why mine was so loud.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Charter Member 2011

...says it all, really.
    It's wonderful watching the gestation of this project, seems to have gotten a life of its own.
    I think this is going to be a very special FS model...
    Edit: IS a very special FS model...

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye52 View Post
    Fliger, if you can track down any Stoof drivers, ask them about coupling. I remember one chap telling me that because of the Stoof's short fuselage, there was greater-than-normal coupling between two axes. That was 45 years ago, so I'm not sure which two.

Milton, I've got the 4 animations: wing fold, tail hook, crew door and radome/MAD/antenna. Are there any others I've missed?

This is a fabulous model, even without the squadron paints. When combined with its other siblings (-1, Willy, COD and a possible turbo variant) the set will become a true collector's must-have. Congratulations!!! :salute::salute::salute:

- H52
    Thank you Sir :salute:

The bomb bay doors should open using the second door or rear canopy key sequence. It has not worked on mine but I usually have trouble with the shift+e, 2 openings.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    That's why I love doing things for SOH members and friends.

While we await other progress, I thought I would try to make some progress on the military variant of the S2T.

Later I will do the civilianized one.
    Nicely done!

Quote Originally Posted by tankerguy72 View Post
    Nicely done!
    And soooooon, ill be drowning myself in a new airtanker, lalalalalalala!!!

But more importantly, the E-1B! then the TTracktor.
    "If three-holers are gas guzzlers, why are there four-holers now???"
    "But what do i know? I'm just the 800 pound guerrilla in the room."

Fire! Fire! Your pants better not be on fire....

Quote Originally Posted by Cag40Navy View Post
    And soooooon, ill be drowning myself in a new airtanker, lalalalalalala!!!

But more importantly, the E-1B! then the TTracktor.
    Got her in the sim and flying

I'll put a new flight model together tomorrow as a starting point if I get time.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Blog Entries
    Outstanding Uncle Milton

To those painting these aircraft, I'll need revised schemes for when I redo the FSX conversion on the entire lineup.....I hate flying with wireframes

I'm with the FAA and I'm here to help you.....................Now gimme a hug!

I will be sending the S2F-3 package to Smoothie and simkid22 today. The mapping is very similar in layout to the E1B but lots of differences obviously.

I have the basic flight model ready for the S2Turbo. I will ask Fliger to check it out before sharing.

@euroastar350, I will package up the models for you today.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

S2Turbo

Okay, I seem to have the turbo settled down, and breathing better with the new exhausts.
    Temporarily using KA350 sounds and 2D panel.

Also adjusted the ladder to be shorter.

I do need a better prop texture; this one was small and blurry.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Milton:

Will send you a revised S2 airfile , probably today. In the S2 docs I have there is no performance data, but the Willy Fudd data should be a good start with the revised weights etc, will just reduce the CD0 a bit.

Hawkeye: Suspect that the yaw and roll couple, but will ask if I run into any of the S2 drivers.

Cheers: T

Milton:

In attempting arested landings in FSX (accel) I get no hook engagement, I don't see any significant erros or omissions as compared to say the F7F in the cfg file.

Any ideas?

T

Props

Okay, I seem to have the turbo settled down, and breathing better with the new exhausts.
    Temporarily using KA350 sounds and 2D panel.

Also adjusted the ladder to be shorter.

I do need a better prop texture; this one was small and blurry.
    Milton,

Here are a couple of prop pics. Don't know if they'll help.

Dave

S-2 Turbo variants

I've been researching information and pics of the turbo prop variants for awhile. There appear to be basically three main turboprop variants.

1. The Marsh/IAI version Milton has done, which was used by the Argentine Navy. (the only military user of this variant) This version retained the vibration damper on the left horizontal stab and was converted from the long fuselage and long stabilizer S-2E/G Tracker. In my previous post, I included a pic of the prototype in USN markings still.

2. The Marsh tanker conversion used by the CDF, most of which appear to be converted S-2E/G Trackers. Notably, the CDF birds do not have the vibration damper on the left stab. This would be a de-militarized version of Milton's bird with a more pointy nose cap and pointy chromed spinners. Marsh also converted a few S-2A's to Turbo Tracker configuration as tankers, which retained the S-2A stabilizers.

3. The Grumman conversion used by the Taiwanese forces, which used the same engine (Garrett) as the Marsh conversions but had a 4 bladed prop and different exhausts. The nacelle is similar to the Marsh conversion. Notably, these didn't retain the searchlight.

4. The Conair conversions which used the PT-6 engines with 5 bladed props. This engine has exhausts on both side of the nacelle near the front (due to the PT6 being a reverse flow engine, inlet at the aft end and exhaust at the front). These were conversions of CS2F's and S-2A's with short fuselages and stabilisers. These appear to have retained the vibration dampers on the stabilizer. These also have the more pointed nose cap.

Just putting this out there to help clarify versions and available color schemes, especially for the version Milton has produced. Information is good!

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by fliger747 View Post
    Milton:

In attempting arested landings in FSX (accel) I get no hook engagement, I don't see any significant erros or omissions as compared to say the F7F in the cfg file.

Any ideas?

T
    I see that you got this corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by p3aewguy View Post
    Milton,

Here are a couple of prop pics. Don't know if they'll help.

Dave
    Thanks Dave; I used a prop from your first picture originally but it is too small for any clarity.

Quote Originally Posted by p3aewguy View Post
    I've been researching information and pics of the turbo prop variants for awhile. There appear to be basically three main turboprop variants.

1. The Marsh/IAI version Milton has done, which was used by the Argentine Navy. (the only military user of this variant) This version retained the vibration damper on the left horizontal stab and was converted from the long fuselage and long stabilizer S-2E/G Tracker. In my previous post, I included a pic of the prototype in USN markings still.

2. The Marsh tanker conversion used by the CDF, most of which appear to be converted S-2E/G Trackers. Notably, the CDF birds do not have the vibration damper on the left stab. This would be a de-militarized version of Milton's bird with a more pointy nose cap and pointy chromed spinners. Marsh also converted a few S-2A's to Turbo Tracker configuration as tankers, which retained the S-2A stabilizers.

3. The Grumman conversion used by the Taiwanese forces, which used the same engine (Garrett) as the Marsh conversions but had a 4 bladed prop and different exhausts. The nacelle is similar to the Marsh conversion. Notably, these didn't retain the searchlight.

4. The Conair conversions which used the PT-6 engines with 5 bladed props. This engine has exhausts on both side of the nacelle near the front (due to the PT6 being a reverse flow engine, inlet at the aft end and exhaust at the front). These were conversions of CS2F's and S-2A's with short fuselages and stabilisers. These appear to have retained the vibration dampers on the stabilizer. These also have the more pointed nose cap.

Just putting this out there to help clarify versions and available color schemes, especially for the version Milton has produced. Information is good!

Dave
    Thank you Dave; great stuff here. I appreciate all your efforts in research.

I plan to do the first and second versions, maybe the fourth. The first military conversion looked easiest to do so that is the start for me.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

I plan to do the first and second versions, maybe the fourth. The first military conversion looked easiest to do so that is the start for me.
    Oh lala! Cant wait, but i got those "new toys" to play with right now!
    "If three-holers are gas guzzlers, why are there four-holers now???"
    "But what do i know? I'm just the 800 pound guerrilla in the room."

Fire! Fire! Your pants better not be on fire....

Wing Fold Operation Question

Based on videos I have seen, the wing fold ops are very slow. When I mimmick this in the sim, it makes the folding ops jerky.

1. Does anyone know how to improve this with gmax animation changes?

2. If you want to smooth out the folding ops, you can speed up the process by changing these parameters in the aircraft.cfg:

[folding_wings]
    wing_fold_system_type = 4
    fold_rates = .02,.04

Numbers like .2, .3 (% per second per wing (left,right I think)

Some have asked about the pilot figures.
    JAVIS is working on replacements for both.
    I am working on "disappearing xml code" (Thank you Lionheart) to make them disappear at your discretion.

JAVIS has the gmax source to start the S2F-1. Thank you Sir for doing this one.

Regarding wing lights, not the best as they are gmax lights required because folding wings cannot use effects lights.

I have sent euroastar350 the gmax source for the FSX native conversion.

I have sent Fliger the new S2T model to check out the flight model.
    Does anyone have performance data for the S2T military version?That would be a great help.

We are awaiting the E-1B paint kit from Smoothie and simkid22; shouldn't be long. :mixedsmi:
    I sent simkid22 the materials to build the same for the S2F-3. These guys are really busy so we should be patient.

Nigel has created an awesome sounds package. I think you will love this one.

Regarding sounds for the S2T, I borrowed the KA350 sounds for testing but I hope we can do something better. They may be realistic (if so, okay) but if not, ... maybe someone can recommend something else.

Does anyone have credible performance data for the S2F-3? Fliger could use it to tweak the FM.

Thanks to all of you for your interest and support.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

There is a lot of nice detail and aging going on there TG.

Great progress!
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

I looked and flew and looked and flew,did the VC walk-through,checked all animations in and out(in flight and on the ground)and found only one teenie-tiny problem.By the way they both fly sweeeeeeet,and that sound - WOW!
    The animation for the port(left)elevator is a little off(as seen in attached screen capture). Not a big problem,I can live with it.I wasn't sure if it had been addressed all ready.
    To all involved:
    Horus J(Joel)
    Attachment 49547

Quote Originally Posted by HorusJ View Post
    I looked and flew and looked and flew,did the VC walk-through,checked all animations in and out(in flight and on the ground)and found only one teenie-tiny problem.By the way they both fly sweeeeeeet,and that sound - WOW!
    The animation for the port(left)elevator is a little off(as seen in attached screen capture). Not a big problem,I can live with it.I wasn't sure if it had been addressed all ready.
    To all involved:
    Horus J(Joel)
    Attachment 49547
    Hey Joel,

Great catch! I must have messed that up along the way unknowingly. Thanks.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Happy to help Milton.

Charter Member 2011

It has a Hook...

...and I haven't had a carrier plane since the last Big Flush.
    I remember there were various options for this, ranging from 3-wire addons to special gauges.
    What would be best for this one, to trap and launch?