SOH Team Project - Grumman Tracker, Trader, Tracer - Page 22
Page 22 of 119 FirstFirst ... 1214151617181920212223242526272829303272 ... LastLast

Thread: SOH Team Project - Grumman Tracker, Trader, Tracer

Members +
    Blog Entries
    Bugger. That was not supposed to be in there. I'm going to have to ask that any one who saw this remove and eat their hard drive straight away. National security, you know!

Just what Harry said. Back in the day every time I'd see some kind of cheepo gag box like that I'd snap up a few and velcro 'em in to the cockpit someplace out of the way. A stress reliever for the guys. The bird dog and Securite Civil guys really liked 'em because they were fitted with a whelan siren/loudhailer and could broadcast sound effects in flight- zooooommm-ratta-tatta-tatta-boom-shut up Beavis! comming from the airplane as it ripped past. Good clean fun untill the wheels up stairs caught wind of it

Heres some pictures from Steve Whitby of the S-2As from Hemet. I guess they depict life and death

Attachment 49091Attachment 49092

Quote Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
    Bugger. That was not supposed to be in there. I'm going to have to ask that any one who saw this remove and eat their hard drive straight away. National security, you know!

Just what Harry said. Back in the day every time I'd see some kind of cheepo gag box like that I'd snap up a few and velcro 'em in to the cockpit someplace out of the way. A stress reliever for the guys. The bird dog and Securite Civil guys really liked 'em because they were fitted with a whelan siren/loudhailer and could broadcast sound effects in flight- zooooommm-ratta-tatta-tatta-boom-shut up Beavis! comming from the airplane as it ripped past. Good clean fun untill the wheels up stairs caught wind of it
    lazarus - Okay, I as you requested, I ate BOTH of my hard drives. I thought about it for a few minutes and then went ahead and ate the rest of my computer, too. A couple of questions: 1. Now how do I run FS9? and 2. Do you ave any TUMS?

Members +
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by andersel View Post
    lazarus - Okay, I as you requested, I ate BOTH of my hard drives. I thought about it for a few minutes and then went ahead and ate the rest of my computer, too. A couple of questions: 1. Now how do I run FS9? and 2. Do you ave any TUMS?
    I know where the boot disc goes in. You won't like it.....

Oh, man. you made coffee come out my nose!

To prove I didn't go AWOL lol work is getting slowed down by real world stuff but its progressing. Paint kit is really close guys!

Attachment 49113Attachment 49114
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks for the update on the paint kit. It seems everything is coming together about the same time. We appreciate your efforts.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Quote Originally Posted by ColoKent View Post
    Milton,

Will the S-2T be the modernized ASW variant that was flown by Argentina?

http://www.airfighters.com/photo/256.../0700-2-AS-21/

Hope so!

........and Taiwan!

- H52
    A tad high and a tad hot is better than a tad low and a tad slow - H52

Favorite Picture of the Trader

Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Favorite Picture of the Trader

Mine would be these simply because of the colors, US Navy trainer scheme(my favorite military AC types(trainers)).
    http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...meda_1978.jpeg

I'm hoping/wishing to see these colors on the projects Tracker in the future

Horus J

You can see where my interest lies....

Always been drawn to anything 'Big-E' related:
    Attachment 49145

...But the Lexington scheme is wonderful !!!
    http://www.s2ftracker.com/images/Pal...frt-128w-1.jpg
    "May fortune favor the foolish"
    MaddogK

Interesting how the fuselage is bulged behind the cockpit windows to fair in with the window, as opposed to the earlier style.

T

Quote Originally Posted by fliger747 View Post
    Interesting how the fuselage is bulged behind the cockpit windows to fair in with the window, as opposed to the earlier style.

T
    Yes, Jan Visser reminds me as well :-)

Great shots everyone. Keep them coming to feed the repaint ideas.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by HorusJ View Post
    Mine would be these simply because of the colors, US Navy trainer scheme(my favorite military AC types(trainers)).
    http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...meda_1978.jpeg

I'm hoping/wishing to see these colors on the projects Tracker in the future

Horus J
    I vote for this picture! Its beautiful!

That's the US-2A variant. Basically a S-2A made into a utility aircraft.

Quote Originally Posted by fliger747 View Post

T
    If u are referring to the "Trader" pic posted by Johndetrick, take a look at the bottom of the fuselage: it is flat, as opposed to the Trader's rounded belly. Also, note the presence of the crew entry door on the starboard side. All of which leads me to suspect that it is in reality a converted -1 Stoof. All Stoofs had the side cockpit window fairing which extends back to the wing leading edge.

- H52

Members +
    Blog Entries
    A bunch of color profiles from squadron-signal.

Trader Pix

Members +
    Blog Entries
    Just some general tidbits.

'All Stoofs had the side cockpit window fairing which extends back to the wing leading edge.'

The hull is bulged from the lap line up, rather than a fairing for the front windows, so the GIB's had a bit of elbow room, as one sat on top of the torp bay, and the other sat on a black box bay.The machine has a rather clever structure, not really evident externally. All the gear in a Tracker was stuffed in from under the wing forward to the cockpit aft bulkhead. A lot of it. All that was in the back was the radome gear and MAD boom, a couple of aerials, the SERA actuator , bumper wheel and hook/snubber gear, fairly light stuff, because of the weight of all the mission equipment forward. It was the devils own time to keep the Cof G in the right place when converted to air tanker- and the Turbocat resorted to some really hairy messures to keep C of G. Pointy nose to hide the batteries under, and a machined steel ring on the end of the engine mount truss around the engine that was 7 inches thick and about the same deep for ballast, skid instead of bumper wheel; a mod that was applied to the piston cats latter. They even asked Grummans if the shot-put dampner could be ground off, which is when we found out about the structural resonance thing. Even then, the C of G range is short.If you peck the brakes too hard, the nose gear rebound will thump the bumper on the ground with a hell of a bang. Big trim change when the gear cycles, too. The aircraft has rather a clever shrink link to compress the main gear struts as they retract to keep the CG shift managable, and the nacelles short with space for the sonoboy launchers.( And if the link bolt shears, the strut bangs out to full extension and jams the wheel against the bulkhead, nothing except deflating the strut will shake it loose.) Even a couple of inches helped. I think the only other airplane I'd ever seen thats as cleverly packaged- and even more tightly packed, is the S-3.
    Looks fantastic Gents!

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye52 View Post
    ... snipped... take a look at the bottom of the fuselage: it is flat, as opposed to the Trader's rounded belly. ... snipped ...- H52
    I thought that might be the case; it really urks me that I have read no mention of this in any of the "differences" docs or websites, and it doesn't show clearly on the 3-views.
    After all the hours I now have in the S2F-3, essentially done for my part, it seems that I need to rebuild the fuselage to include the flatter bottom and bulged top, and therefore the interior-vc, windows, doors, animations, and remap it all.
    This is very frustrating.

I guess the good news is that I haven't sent the texture templates out to the painters yet.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Attached is a picture of a relatively-rare S2F-2, the one with the bulged weapons bay for a nuke. I took the pic at a 1995 Stoof auction at one of the scrap dealers which adjoin D-M AFB in Tucson. Several Stoofs were sold that day including two to a Canadian who planned to use them for fisheries patrol sponsored by the (Canadian) government. As I recall, the top bid was 35,000 USD. So, for the (1995) price of a couple of plain minivans, you could've had your very own Stoof!

There are many VERY colorful liveries for the US-2C, the utility conversion of the S2F-2.
    Attachment 49155
    BTW, those auctions are still conducted every few months.
    YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

- H52

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    .....After all the hours I now have in the S2F-3, essentially done for my part, it seems that I need to rebuild the fuselage to include the flatter bottom and bulged top....
    Milton, you modeled the E-1B* with a rounded bottom and the S2F with a flat bottom, right? I don't follow your comment.

- H52

* Which has essentially the same hull as the C-1A / TF-1 Trader

Quote Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
    Just some general tidbits.

'All Stoofs had the side cockpit window fairing which extends back to the wing leading edge.'

The hull is bulged from the lap line up, rather than a fairing for the front windows,
    Valid clarification, Lazarus. Poor choice of words on my part.

- H52

Charter Member 2012 nigel richards's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    There's nothing worse, psychologically speaking, than having to remake something which we have already put so much into.
    Been down that road more times than I wish to recall.

Take strength and heart Milton; Your work on this project is truly outstanding. < frappacino's on me!
    Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

I flattened the botton from the side view but it is not as flat as the S2F-1/2/3 as I scrutinize the pictures now.

I may have to allow the bottom go as is. I have looked at the upper fuselage bulge based on Jan Visser's comments. I invested 4 hours on a trial to see what I could do. (See attached and note the old curvature from the inside parts vs the exterior) Probably another six-eight hours I could get the bulge correct (whatever that means with no meaningful data to measure against) on the exterior model. The real pain is the cockpit inside, redoing the windows and overhead, and remapping the cockpit. That was an 8-hour job the first go-around.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here