SOH Team Project - Grumman Tracker, Trader, Tracer - Page 21
Page 21 of 119 FirstFirst ... 1113141516171819202122232425262728293171 ... LastLast

Thread: SOH Team Project - Grumman Tracker, Trader, Tracer

Quote Originally Posted by p3aewguy View Post
    Milton,

1. an observation- the CSD cooling air scoop should be on the lower right quadrant of the nacelle, on both nacelles. Meaning the scoop on the left engine should be on the inboard side. This was a mistake that Kinetic made with the new model kit in 1/48th scale. Don't know if this is correctible at this point or not. A minor point any way. The rivet counter in me can't find any other issues! You can make out the scoops in the pics below.

2. Why not animate the lower antenne with the landing gear? i.e. gear up / antenna down, gear down / antenna up. Don't know how this affects animations as you have 4 landing gear already.

3. Most all pictures show no armament or external stores, I agree with leaving them off.

4. Radome and mad boom animated together would be ok with me!

Either way, I will love flying this aircraft as I do all of these SOH projects!

Dave
    Hi Dave,

Thanks so much for the input and feedback.
    1. Due to lack of the right pictures, I did not notice the CSD error on the left nacelle. I will change that.
    2. I do have the antenna animated as you suggest.
    3. No stores will be added; all gone now.
    4. Radome and MAD boom are currently animated using the Concorde visor extend/retract; cntrl+U and shift+U as I have them setup.

I have finished all the things on my list and a few more so I am posting some pics so that you guys who are intimately familiar with this aircraft can look it over.
    The next few days I will be optimizing and reviewing mapping and putting some final touches on.
    So, now is a good time to give it a close look.

I did finish the yoke today, at least the first cut. Ignore the gauges; they are temporary for testing.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Quote Originally Posted by ColoKent View Post
    Milton,

Will the S-2T be the modernized ASW variant that was flown by Argentina?

http://www.airfighters.com/photo/256.../0700-2-AS-21/

Hope so!
    The changes to the model will be mainly just the engines. Other features appear to be the same as the S2F-3.

Of course, a new flight model, sounds, and textures would be required, and the panel's gauges would have to be updated.
    We have no commitments from anyone at this time on this project except me to do the exterior model changes.
    If necessary, I can also do a flight model. I am certain others will jump in to make it a reality.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Milton - I agree with Kent about the underwing rockets, and I do not see a need to expend polys on a torpedo. Your solution for the sonobuoys seems to be quite logical and, as you said, inexpensive. That's my two cents worth.

LA

Quote Originally Posted by tankerguy72 View Post
    DRRRROOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLL! Great Job!!!
    Thanks TG; your input and pictures were most valuable.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Looking great, but didn't the S2F have a search light mounted on the right wing?

The one I'm really looking forward to is the C-1 Trader.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    Looking great, but didn't the S2F have a search light mounted on the right wing?

The one I'm really looking forward to is the C-1 Trader.
    Oh wow! You had to state the obvious didn't ya Willy.

Okay, now I know what I will be doing Monday.
    Now, if you must have a search light, then we must have an effect to make it functional, and a gauge to control it.
    I asked the question a few pages back and received no responses.

Who wants to step up for the effect and the gauge?
    I can model it.

The S2T will be next.
    The C-1A will follow.
    The S2F-1 will be done concurrent with the C-1A.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Once y'all are done inventing, I'm planning to do all the lighting effects for those who have shockwave, but for the "general public," standard fs9 lighting could be the default --whatever that is:ques:
    Racartron
    it means something, but I just can't remember what

Charter Member 2012 nigel richards's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoKent View Post
    ....the following regarding the armament:

- I would not have sonobuoys loaded
    - I would animate the radome and MAD boom
    - And most of all, I would not have underwing stores

After all, FS9/FSX is not a "shoot em up", and the vast number of pics do not reflect loaded hardpoints

Just my .02 cents.

Kent
    BULLSEYE!!! particularly if the extra polys will be detrimental to fps! :salute:
    Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

Hey Milton,

While you are taking requests, could you make a float plane version? And one with a soda fountain in the back? And maybe one with the top secret X-Ray vision windshield. And maybe one with great big fat tires...like the balloon tires you see on those trucks that spray sewage sludge on corn fields?

Just kiddin'! Looking forward to this bird. I love radial engines....and a plane that has TWO of them is just that much more to love.

Smoothie has the paint kit under control. I'm sure Nigel has the sound pack thing lined up to some degree. If there's anything I can do to help bring this project to completion, I'm willing and able. Even if it means crash testing the float plane version, or the one with the soda fountain in the back, or the one with the top secret X-Ray vision windshield, or the one with the sewage sprayer balloon tires.

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Charter Member 2012 nigel richards's Avatar
    Blog Entries

thou shalt hear the VOICE!

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    Oh wow! You had to state the obvious didn't ya Willy.

Okay, now I know what I will be doing Monday.
    Now, if you must have a search light, then we must have an effect to make it functional, and a gauge to control it.
    I asked the question a few pages back and received no responses.

Who wants to step up for the effect and the gauge?
    I can model it.

The S2T will be next.
    The C-1A will follow.
    The S2F-1 will be done concurrent with the C-1A.

Blessed be thine wise man Willy, for he hath seeth the light.

And then so sayeth the devout wiseman Willy; "Thou shalt go forth, Yay Monday Milton and maketh THE light in ITS image! Thou shall see the LIGHT!" (...and behold; he doeseth see the light is good!)

Verily, I say then unto you; "Go forth to thine place of good tidings and receivals, and see ye tally not!
    For there be great haste!"

Therefore I sayeth unto you; "thou shalt hear the VOICE! Yay, HEAR the voice about thee as if thunder from the heavens or the rushing of mighty waters!"

And thou shalt weep from great joy for the fruits of your toils and labours and be blessed with new strength from within!

Nigel (chapter 1)

Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

Nigel, You are a trippy cat. middle
    There are 2 constants in the universe:
    Hydrogen and stupidity!

Quote Originally Posted by middle View Post
    Nigel, You are a trippy cat. middle
    Yeah, I worry about Nigel sometimes as well. Too much Ouzo maybe?
    Racartron
    it means something, but I just can't remember what

Search Light Ready for Inspection

Okay Willy, et al :-)

Here is the result of 4 hours work. Hope this is good enough.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

definitely good enough!!! Now to throw on some paint

Quote Originally Posted by tankerguy72 View Post
    definitely good enough!!! Now to throw on some paint
    It is painted, white1, with some parts darkgray, and one part chrome.

Your drawiing was very instrumental in getting this done. Thank you.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Blog Entries
    Regarding the searchlight, I can add the effect and gauge to it if no one steps up to the challenge. Is there a shot of searchlight control so I can draw the gauge in photoshop?

I'm with the FAA and I'm here to help you.....................Now gimme a hug!

Members +
    Blog Entries
    Stand by for a bit. When I get home this afternood I'll crank up the cellphone camera and U/L some shots of the controller. In the mean time, wish I'd found thispage earlier, an list and some photos of mission equipment on CS2F-1's

http://jproc.ca/rrp/rrp3/tracker_equipment_details.html

edit: following some links around. A wee bit OT, ahhh, the sound of 4 3350's at full honk...
    http://cp107argus.com/

Quote Originally Posted by euroastar350 View Post
    Regarding the searchlight, I can add the effect and gauge to it if no one steps up to the challenge. Is there a shot of searchlight control so I can draw the gauge in photoshop?
    No gauge for the search light. It is a joystick type controller with 3 switches. This is documented in the manual. No need for a visible gauge here, just the xml to turn on/off the effect. I can add teh joystick controller with that switch.

I think we have agreed that we do not need a gauge for the other things mentioned.

Thanks
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

How many virtual candlepower is available in FS9 and FSX?

T

Quote Originally Posted by fliger747 View Post
    How many virtual candlepower is available in FS9 and FSX?

T
    May take an extra bus or two. This light puts out a minimum of 70 million candlepower.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Members +
    Blog Entries
    AVQ-1 aerial serchlight controller. The joy stick was stowed elsewhere in the aircraft during T/O and landing. The unit mounts to the co-jo's window sill with a butterfly dzus fastener, right about where your fist would be sitting strapped in, arm to your side down and vertical, forearm at 90deg. On this unit, the mounting bracket has been flipped 180deg, opposit normal for the S-2. the box with the grip is pivoted, about 5deg up, 30 deg down, controlling elevation, the grip twists about its axis on the box, about 25deg side to side, about the same range of motion at the searchlight. The switch on the back of the unit is down to off, up to start. That cranks up the power supply. The button on top armed the drive servos so you could point the light, and the trigger switch fired the light. This was so the light could be slaved onto target before illuminating. Some of the installs- notably the -5 Neptune had a targeting radar carried under the searchlight that allowed the light to be slaved to the nose turret for gunlaying purposes. Effective range against a schnorkel sized target, under ideal conditions was about a mile and a quarter. Sub skippers on Ex were known to become rather agitated about having their night vision fried when the periscopes were illuminated- some XO's swore you could see the shadow of the Skippers brain on the back of his skull when it happened. Ground operations were limited to a few seconds; with out cooling airflow the plexiglass fairing melted, causing much highly creative invective from the plane captain.
    The 2 boxes are the left and right wing stores selector, rocket intervalometer, master arm, bay doors control and heat control, and jetison. These were in the center console on either side on the Bay control box, forming a visual schematic of the airplane. I never could find that box. It had the station selectors for the torp bay. I think they were pulled at de-milling because some of them would have been wired for the PAL box for the Nuclear depth bomb.
    Hope that helps some.

Great stuff Lazurus! Thank you for taking the time for the pictures and explanation.

Can you explain the guns at the bottom of the bay door control box.

"Death Ray" has peeked my curiosity. :-)
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    . . . . . ."Death Ray" has peeked my curiosity. :-)
    Hmmm maybe a Laser Designator?
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

The control box marked Death Ray, Guns etc looks like a joke gadget I got given to fit in my car. The various buttons produced sound effects, it was intended as a release for frustrations caused by the antics of other drivers on the road.