SOH Team Project - Grumman Tracker, Trader, Tracer - Page 19
Page 19 of 119 FirstFirst ... 911121314151617181920212223242526272969 ... LastLast

Thread: SOH Team Project - Grumman Tracker, Trader, Tracer

Need Better Drawings of Wing Mounts/Hard Points

Before adding the hardpoints to the wings, I need better drawings of what these look like. The 3-views and pictires I have just are not clear enough.

This is the best closeup I have.

Also does anyone have better definition of what is in front of the oil cooler door?

Thanks in advance.Attachment 48817
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

shes really getting there now Milton, great work as always from yourself... makes a rookie who can only model basically feel envious, but i gotta admit with inspiration like yourself, it's a goal... 7P's always work in these scenarios...

on another note, weathering is done and the decals are going on, not long now painters! :salute:

Quote Originally Posted by Smoothie View Post
    shes really getting there now Milton, great work as always from yourself... makes a rookie who can only model basically feel envious, but i gotta admit with inspiration like yourself, it's a goal... 7P's always work in these scenarios...

on another note, weathering is done and the decals are going on, not long now painters! :salute:
    Thanks for the Progress and Persistence Matt.
    Oh, you might want to list the 7P's as I seem to have forgotten some of them.

Thanks
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

7P's.... simple, taught by armies around the world;

Proper Planning and Preparation Prevents P**s Poor Performance :salute:

back to my paint hangar to get some more done before a few of the locals get poking around in there....

Milton:

Not so sure what the oil cooler looks like on the 1820, but for the R-2800 a sort of barrel shaped unit, that would look sort of honeycombed from the front or rear. Looked to see if one was shown on an exploded view I had of the Wildcat (which used the 1820 only in the FM2 version. No soap, but will keep my eye open.

T

Quote Originally Posted by tankerguy72 View Post
    Found this in the book on the hardpoints
    Attachment 48819
    Excellent TG! Thank you.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by fliger747 View Post
    Milton:

Not so sure what the oil cooler looks like on the 1820, but for the R-2800 a sort of barrel shaped unit, that would look sort of honeycombed from the front or rear. Looked to see if one was shown on an exploded view I had of the Wildcat (which used the 1820 only in the FM2 version. No soap, but will keep my eye open.

T
    Tom,

I was asking about the oil cooler door (bottom rear fo the cowl, in front of the gear bay doors), and for better detail for what is in front of that door.
    There is also what appears to be a door about 20-30 degrees around the side in teh attached picture. Any ideas?
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

That's probably an exit for cooling airflow from the accessory drive area. That should normally be fixed. If I recall correctly, all the accessories like the generators, hydraulic pumps etc, were mounted on the backside of the motor and needed cooling airflow.

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    Thank you Dave for the info on the fixed radome. I will put that in place. It is interesting that it is "seated/recessed" like the larger one, and maybe, due to its location, it was "extendable" for maintenance purposes.

I am aware of the hstab antenna position being more inboard; I just haven't gotten back there to relocate it yet. But, great heads-up; I appreciate that.

And thanks for pointing out the info on the C1A flight station windows and longer hstabs. I haven't gotten to that model yet so the differences are not yet clear to me.

The retractable antenna fact is appreciated too. I copied it over from the E1B. My only unasked question about it is, did it retract forward or aft. I set it up to retract forward.

Thanks for taking the time for the input and feedback.
    Milton,

They retract aft.

Dave

Just went and shot these at the airport, this should be what you need. On the last picture the slots are fixed, no doors or anything.
    Attachment 48822Attachment 48823Attachment 48824Attachment 48825Attachment 48826

Ahhhh, awesome shots TG!!! Thank you very much.

I guess I get to redo the oil cooler doors, again.
    One just can't have enough reference pictures when the "real McCoy" is not within reach.

I really appreciate all you efforts TG.
    Thank you
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Before adding the hardpoints to the wings, I need better drawings of what these look like. The 3-views and pictires I have just are not clear enough.

This is the best closeup I have.

Also does anyone have better definition of what is in front of the oil cooler door?

Thanks in advance.Attachment 48817
    Attachment 48827Attachment 48828
    These racks are mounted on an early S2F-1. The middle rack has been removed to accommodate the sway braces. Interestingly, note that these pics were taken EXACTLY 51 years ago today.

- H52
    A tad high and a tad hot is better than a tad low and a tad slow - H52

No problem Milton! Great that you want all the little details right! The antenna does fold aft on the bottom of the fuselage.

Attachment 48830

Members +
    Blog Entries
    The oil coolers are oval shaped and narrow ways up, long ways side to side, the cooler flap is driven with the usual screw-jack actuator , with the usual 3 way switch- open-close(manual) and automatic on a thermostat. Its covered with a screw om panel that has the exhaust trough for the pair of exhaust stacks forward. The oil cooler is ducted up to inlets in the intercylinder baffles . The slots in the accessory section are plain slots to vent the accessory section-no door or ducting

Quote Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
    The oil coolers are oval shaped and narrow ways up, long ways side to side, the cooler flap is driven with the usual screw-jack actuator , with the usual 3 way switch- open-close(manual) and automatic on a thermostat. Its covered with a screw om panel that has the exhaust trough for the pair of exhaust stacks forward. The oil cooler is ducted up to inlets in the intercylinder baffles . The slots in the accessory section are plain slots to vent the accessory section-no door or ducting
    Thank you; excellent response.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

I think I got the antenna wiring correct; y'all check it for me please.

Down to two additions left and then to remap the whole aircraft ...
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

I am ready to model the pedestal yoke for the S2F-3.

I have two pictures only and the yoke looks like this.

Is this the correct yoke for this aircraft?
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Not sure, but that like a "warbird/firebomber" panel by the look of the instruments.

Cheers: T

I am ready to model the pedestal yoke for the S2F-3.

I have two pictures only and the yoke looks like this.

Is this the correct yoke for this aircraft?
    That yoke belongs to a newer model S-2D... seems to me the older Stoofs have more of a pretzel shaped yoke, reference these two pics from A.net;

http://www.airliners.net/photo/KLM--...2a023e21bfeef3

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Provi...290a3cf7cff2c8

Yeah i would say thats the newer style aswell! That version that you have pictured is also in the S-2F3AT (S-2T) Airtanker version. Looks like a more modern layout.
    Attachment 48857Attachment 48858

I have probably 30-40 C1A, S2F-1/2, E1B cockpit pictures and all but two have the earlier installed "pretzel" styled yoke.

I just do not have pictures of the S2F-3G/E cockpits so if anyone can help out here, we can make some progress.

I have started mapping the exterior model (again) and hope to have mapping completed this weekend (if Visser doesn't push me over the edge). :salute:
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

The earlier versions had the pretzel style yoke with the control tube coming through the instrument panel. The later variants with the fuselage stretch had the updated yoke with a control column attached to the floor.

Milton,

Might help or not (most of Dutch tracker)

Picture of the opened crew door:

Crew in the cockpit:

Opened bomb bay:

Details of throttle part:
    http://www.vlaggeschipsmaldeel5.nl/h..._assembly.html

Marcel

Quote Originally Posted by johndetrick View Post
    The earlier versions had the pretzel style yoke with the control tube coming through the instrument panel. The later variants with the fuselage stretch had the updated yoke with a control column attached to the floor.
    Hi John,

I am familiar with the differences but need an authentic picture of the S2F-3G/E cockpit yoke so that I can model it. I have no authoritative guide to help me through this piece. Maybe you can have a source for this yoke.

Quote Originally Posted by mgr View Post
    Milton,

Might help or not (most of Dutch tracker)

Picture of the opened crew door:

Crew in the cockpit:

Opened bomb bay:

Details of throttle part:
    http://www.vlaggeschipsmaldeel5.nl/h..._assembly.html

Marcel
    Marcel, excellent pics and website. Thank you very much. It will be useful to Diego I'm sure for the textures in teh overhead controls.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Members who have read this thread: 131