SOH Team Project - Grumman Tracker, Trader, Tracer - Page 31
Page 31 of 119 FirstFirst ... 2123242526272829303132333435363738394181 ... LastLast

Thread: SOH Team Project - Grumman Tracker, Trader, Tracer

Now I'm really excited about this project. I hope you don't mind, I grabbed your E-1B update hoping there would be a model in there. I'm happily flying her around with your AC560 flight model. Just beautiful, screenshots are nice, but there's nothing like the real thing on the hard drive. I can't wait for the final package. Obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by patful View Post
    Now I'm really excited about this project. I hope you don't mind, I grabbed your E-1B update hoping there would be a model in there. I'm happily flying her around with your AC560 flight model. Just beautiful, screenshots are nice, but there's nothing like the real thing on the hard drive. I can't wait for the final package. Obviously.
    No problem. Check your PM's; I sent you a link for the download of the WIP package.

Have fun :-)

Milton
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Nigel, I can only offer beer

- H52
    A tad high and a tad hot is better than a tad low and a tad slow - H52

Progress a bit slow on my end at the moment, in Sydney about to blast off for HKG so no rest for the weary! Should have some data in hand for the ESS TOO soon so can adjust that a bit.

Cheers: Tom

Charter Member 2012 nigel richards's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye52 View Post
    Nigel, I can only offer beer

- H52
    Much obliged H52!...Good gracious, is all that for me?

...reckon it should be shared,..buurrrp...(pardon)...you guys have been doing some pretty thirsty work here...

just a drop though, there's still plenty more work before the party.

This rounds on me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Miyde...eature=related

come on Milton you too, just a drop then its back to work fellas.
    Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

Quote Originally Posted by nigel richards View Post
    come on Milton you too, just a drop then its back to work fellas.
    only a drop? we talking a regular drop or a squaddie 'drop'

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    Have fun :-)

Milton
    I am indeed having fun. Thank you so much, Milton, and everyone else involved in the project.

Pat

Quote Originally Posted by fliger747 View Post
    Progress a bit slow on my end at the moment, in Sydney about to blast off for HKG so no rest for the weary! Should have some data in hand for the ESS TOO soon so can adjust that a bit.

Tom,

Check your email. Sent D/L link for manuals a little while ago! Same to Milton and Marcel!!!

Dave :salute:

Thanks Dave; trying to knock out the last few items with the S2T-CDF variant. Almost there. :salute:
    Cant wait cant wait cant wait!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoothie View Post
    only a drop? we talking a regular drop or a squaddie 'drop'
    LOL He deserves a squaddie 'drop', but we'll try and get him blotto at the PARTY.

Till then, he's the only one keeping us other wayard gentlemen focused, so just slip a wee drop into his frappeccino while he's looking the other way, to keep him going.

And as for you little buddy, just one drop! The Ruperts want this aircraft well weathered and dirty, NOT stained with liquor all over the perspex!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

Quote Originally Posted by fliger747 View Post

Tom,
    Good things come to those who wait; thank you for the updates. Progress never comes cheap. We appreciate all your efforts.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by p3aewguy View Post
    H52,

Acording to the E-1B flight manual the AN/ARC-38 HF trailing wire antenna had 4 preset extention lenghts. They were 9, 26, 45 and 65 feet. The lenght depended on the HF channel selected. The antenna was deployed when the antenna selector was placed in the trailing position automatically retracted when the antenna was set to fixed, the set was turned off or the landing gear was extended.

There is a caution in the manual stating that the maximum airspeed for retraction was 130 knots indiated airspeed. Exceeding that could result in reel motor clutch failure and erroneous indication of retraction.

My suggestion would be to tie it to the water rudder command or another exit command if it is decided to do this.

Hope this helps!

Dave
    Once you guys get a chance to check out the TWA, let me know what you think.

I can make some adjustmentsto length but I can't go too far as "rolling the wire up on a spool" does not cut it in gmax/FS9. Once we have something we can live with, I will complete the animation in retraction to hide the wire.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by tankerguy72 View Post
    Cant wait cant wait cant wait!
    Ha! Gotta wait!

I have added the antennas, the nacelle air intakes, the access panels on top of the nacelles, finished up the wing to nacelle interfaces, reshaped the exhausts, and finished the retardant tanks.

Once I add the wig-wag lights, I will remap the wings, nacelles, and fuselage and she should be ready.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Searchlight

Hi All,

I see Professor Milton is at it again with another magnificent project. Looks great so far and I can't wait to see and fly the final outcomes.

As for the searchlight it should be a fairly narrow beam and was steerable. THe carbon-arc lamp was some 3 million candlepower and could supposedly set the grass on fire beside the ramp if used on the ground.

The Canadian Forces CP-121 Trackers were quite regular visiters to CFB Winnipeg in the late 1980's.

Regards, Rob
    "I do not know with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein

"He who can lead you to believe an absurdity can lead you to commit an atrocity." - Voltaire

Once you guys get a chance to check out the TWA, let me know what you think.

I can make some adjustmentsto length but I can't go too far as "rolling the wire up on a spool" does not cut it in gmax/FS9. Once we have something we can live with, I will complete the animation in retraction to hide the wire.
    Looked good to me! Thanks Milton!

Dave

Charter Member 2011
    Who could guess that a TWA could be Orsim?
    Well, it is, and not just because it has a kink.
    Details like this make a jaded palate perk up, long live FS9...

Dave/P3:

Thanks for the manuals, have the same great data as for the E-1B. Of course none of the manuals ever tell you what the empty weight is, which is even true of our manuals for the big jets, as every plane is slightly different. Had a chance to read through them on the way back from YSSY to VHHH yesterday.

Milton, the TWA looks great! This HAS GOT TO BE A First! in FS. :salute:

I'm guessing you modeled the 9-ft extension. Is it within the limits of FS for you to model the full 65 feet that p3aewguy reported? Then there would be no doubt that it is a TWA!

BTW, I'm trying to locate my ARC-80 manual -- more out of curiosity than anything else -- to verify the length of the TWA used on the Hawkeye, as I'm sure it was well over the length used by the ARC-38 on the Fudd. I finally found a source which pretty much verifies the data provided by p3aewguy.

http://staff.salisbury.edu/~rafantini/618S1.htm
    (about two-thirds down the page)

"...while connected to the aircraft's 40 to 100 foot wire antenna..."

-H52

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye52 View Post
    Milton, the TWA looks great! This HAS GOT TO BE A First! in FS. :salute:

I'm guessing you modeled the 9-ft extension. Is it within the limits of FS for you to model the full 65 feet that p3aewguy reported? Then there would be no doubt that it is a TWA!

BTW, I'm trying to locate my ARC-80 manual -- more out of curiosity than anything else -- to verify the length of the TWA used on the Hawkeye, as I'm sure it was well over the length used by the ARC-38 on the Fudd. I finally found a source which pretty much verifies the data provided by p3aewguy.

http://staff.salisbury.edu/~rafantini/618S1.htm
    (about two-thirds down the page)

"...while connected to the aircraft's 40 to 100 foot wire antenna..."

-H52
    Hawkeye52, I can do it but not sure of the ultimate value. The wire would have to be segmented every 5-6', and each segment must be animated to hide it inside the aircraft. So, probably 10 animated wire segments to wrap/unwrap, and guide it out of/into the aircraft. Yes, can be done but ultimately to what end. That's why I chose the shortest of the lengths.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

WHAT(!) was I thinking/smoking?

Found my ARC-80 manual and it sez: "Trailingwire (0 to 145 feet) ejected and retracted at 70 feet/minute (minimum speed)." Case closed! :redf:

"...not sure of the ultimate value. The wire would have to be segmented every 5-6', and each segment must be animated to hide it inside the aircraft. So, probably 10 animated wire segments to wrap/unwrap, and guide it out of/into the aircraft. Yes, can be done but ultimately to what end. That's why I chose the shortest of the lengths."

Grateful for what you've done. I'm not gonna argue!

- H52

Feedback E-1B flightmodel

Hiya,

Did some test flying with the ops-manual at hand. Things i noticed so far:

- Plane is very unstable when parkingbrake is on, vibrates a lot and sometime start to jump, fixed this by updating the MOI (values suggested by AirWrench tool):
    empty_weight_pitch_MOI = 85000
    empty_weight_roll_MOI = 57500
    empty_weight_yaw_MOI = 112500

- Plane seems to be overpowered in cruise and underpowered in climb. Tried some tweaking to fix this but not much success so far <g>.

- Already reported i believe, tailhook value is to short, show be:
    [TailHook]
    tailhook_length=7.9

Now back to test flying :-)

Marcel

Thanks Marcel. I sent your comments on to Fliger747.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

There are at least five different versions of FS that we might encounter, perhaps more when we consider individual setups. Glad to have some feedback, as I generally develop and do most testing in FSX Accel (afer all this IS a carrier aircraft). It is helpful to indicate whether one is testing at ISA, version, realism settings, crashes on or off etc. An example is the difference between how versions compute engine internal friction, enough that some versions will continue to have the props spin after shutdown. How the plane sits with a given MOI set of values is yet another one. The plane is programmed to be flown at 100% realism, crashes on, automixture on, auto rudder off etc. It is especially important that ISA conditions are selected (clear, weather esentially off). The AFSD utility is helpful in monitoring performance values.Cheers: T

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by viking3 View Post
    Hi All,

I see Professor Milton is at it again with another magnificent project. Looks great so far and I can't wait to see and fly the final outcomes.

As for the searchlight it should be a fairly narrow beam and was steerable. THe carbon-arc lamp was some 3 million candlepower and could supposedly set the grass on fire beside the ramp if used on the ground.

The Canadian Forces CP-121 Trackers were quite regular visiters to CFB Winnipeg in the late 1980's.

Regards, Rob
    Thanks for the interesting info Rob. :salute:

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

Blog Entries

no light being shed....ideas anyone?

Attachment 50000 Attachment 49999 Attachment 49998
    Gentlemen this has become most frustrating. After spending a fair few hours/days getting the appearance of a powerful searchlight, it suddenly dawned on me that no directional cast light was actually being shed.

Initially assigned in the lights section as a landing light, as in the picture on the right, I eventually discovered that the light being cast was actually coming from the small, 'built in' one on the model.

So I opted for strobe assignment (lefthand pic) and my suspicion was thus confirmed.

Finally, I experimented with a host of landing lights known to be effective (example; middle pic). Still no light!

What am I doing wrong???

edit: This pic shows a B-17 using the stock landing lights in the above pics; 2 & 3.

Probably a dumb question but could the model's 'in-built' landing light be overriding the designation of an extra landing light?

Attachment 50002

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "