Ruff Stuff repaint

Thread: Ruff Stuff repaint

Ruff Stuff repaint

I just wanted to ask if anyone out there would mind doing a Ruff Stuff repaint for the FSD P-38. Bomber 12th had one for the Skyunlimited P-38 but I no longer use FS2004 and would love to have one for FSX.
    Thanks for time and consideration

If you wouldn't mind seeing this repaint made by me again, though now for the FSD Lightning, I would love to - its been something I've wanted to do for a while, though haven't gotten around to it yet. It actually shouldn't take all that long to do.

I'll be seeing this aircraft again next week!
    Lenovo Legion T730 / Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6-5.0 GHz / 130W Liquid Cooling / GeForce RTX 2800 / 32GB DDR4 / MSI 550W PSU / 4K 43" TCL LED TV

I saw it last year up in Duluth and talked to Steve Hinton without knowing til later(dammit). Then she was at the ANG anniversary this last weekend and missed her. So thats what got the want going again. Where is she going to be this weekend?
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    If you wouldn't mind seeing this repaint made by me again, though now for the FSD Lightning, I would love to - its been something I've wanted to do for a while, though haven't gotten around to it yet. It actually shouldn't take all that long to do.

I'll be seeing this aircraft again next week!
    At KOSH I presume? (I'll be flying by Friday on my way back to Minnie to visit my family. No time for KOSH this year.) Enjoy.
    Jay
    USNR-Ret; Former Airline Migratory Worker; Builder, Owner, Operator RV-8 N817J
    Comp Spec - ASRock Steel Legend WiFi M/B, Ryzen 7 5800X, RX 6900 XT, 32GB RAM, M2 SSD for DCS, SATA SSD for MSFS2020

That's correct. Onwed by Ron Fagen, and based in Granite Falls, Minnesota, he has made his growing collection of warbirds regulars at Oshkosh. This year he will be bringing his newly restored P-51D "Twilight Tear" as well (the real, newly restored example - not the old TFC Mustang), which will surely be one of the top contenders for the Grand Champion WWII award - for how detailed, complete, and authentic the restoration is. Although the aircraft has been flying since early Spring, they have been waiting to apply the nose art until doing so at Oshkosh, so that the public can view how it was originally done (just as they did with Ruff Stuff).
    Lenovo Legion T730 / Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6-5.0 GHz / 130W Liquid Cooling / GeForce RTX 2800 / 32GB DDR4 / MSI 550W PSU / 4K 43" TCL LED TV

Twilight Tear? that was one my favorite repaints for A2A and Warwick Carter's Mustang. That is really cool. I hope he does well. Is there a chance Twilight Tear will show for the Little Friends Pack. May have to purchase it after all.
    By the way one question about purchasing payware aircraft. When purchased warbirdsims site I presume the money goes directly to warbirdsim developers. My question is this, if purchased from an online retailer for the same price as at warbirdsim does the same as above apply or does the retailer get a cut of the price? Just curious. Thanks
    Randy

Randy, I can say with some great degree of certainty that there will be a repaint released by me within the first days of August, depicting this plane, in as close to original form as it has been seen before (for Little Friends). ; ) I know Ron Fagen is a stickler for accuracy, and a photo actually just surfaced earlier this year, that for the first time shows how the artwork of the name "Twilight Tear" really appeared on the side of the aircraft during WWII. It should end up being recreated as the photo shows. It's one of those restorations, where the most minute detail practices that were common to P-51D production during WWII, are recreated - if you are familiar with the restoration of "Happy Jack's Go Buggy", well it is essentially another restoration of that caliber/level of authentic details throughout.

About your last question, all vendors take a part of the cut, though I don't want to deter you from supporting your favorite vendor. : ) Personally I always try to buy direct if I can - though even then, with some companies, a large chunk of the price you pay isn't going straight to the developer(s) - due to taxes, licensing fees (if in effect), promotional fees, and web site fees - all of which has to be considered with the price of one of these products.

Although the aircraft has been kept under wraps ever since, this is how "Twilight Tear" appeared fresh out of restoration early this past spring, and before all of the paint application was made. Again, this is the example owned by Ron Fagen, here in Minnesota, which is considered the "real Twilight Tear", and is not the same airframe that TFC once owned and was thought to have been "TT".

And here is the 'new' photo that surfaced earlier this year, that finally shows exactly how the original artwork looked.

Thanks for the honest reply John. I have recently been trying to buy direct (no slam on the retailer sites) because in this economy it occured to me I should be more supportive of the developers. I bought the B/C and the first P-51D pack from the Warbirdsim site.
    In regards to the Minnesota warbird scene I have been out of it until recently (was avolunteer at Planes of Fame and the Air Guard museum) so when Ruff Stuff came on the scene I was very suprised and pleased and now another Mustang plus the Howard 500 and "secret" project up at Anoka County airport I am slowly getting reeled back in. Have a great time at Oshkosh
    Randy

Well thank you very, very much all around, Randy! Though older releases, I hope you enjoy them!

It is interesting to hear that you were a volunteer at the old Planes of Fame East museum! It is a great shame all of those warbirds went west, though of course becoming what is now the Palm Springs Air Museum. I was quite young still when the museum closed and moved to California, so I never got the opportunity to check it out while it was still here.

In Granite Falls, Ron Fagen has been building an extremely impressive collection of warbirds, while at the same time running one of the best P-40 restoration shops in the world. So-far they have completed both a P-40K and a P-40E (not to mention their P-38), which are the finest of their types. They have about 5-6 more P-40's in the restoration queue, as well as an SB2C Helldiver, which has been progressing along (right now their focus is the Helldiver and a P-40K). The plan with their P-40 restorations, is that they are each restored to the highest degree of originality and authenticity, and painted in accurate historical markings to the company's strict specifications - they are then flown for a while before being offered for sale later on, as work begins on the next project(s). The flying/operational side of the company is called "Fagen Fighters", and the restoration side is called "Warhawks Inc." Their website can be found here: http://www.warhawksinc.com/

Up in Anoka, I'd assume the 'secret project' you mention is that of the amazing P-82 restoration nearing completion and flying status. The same group had the two B-25's for a long while, but "Betty's Dream" was sold to a new flying museum based in Houston, TX late last year. It perhaps provided a good jolt in funding for the P-82 and other projects. If you haven't seen it yet, this photo-compilation was put together of the status of the restoration earlier this year. (It probably has advanced along quite significantly since): http://vimeo.com/21704963

It has been reported, within a tight warbird circle, that Roger Christgau's old P-51D "Sierra Sue", which has been based in Minnesota for many years and used to be seen at a few Minnesota shows up until the early 2000's, has switched hands and will be under restoration soon, if not already. It is of course one of the few WWII-combat vet Mustangs still left, and has not been torn-down since WWII. The restoration will see the aircraft finished with the same level of authentic details as seen on the restoration of "Happy Jack's Go Buggy", being exactly as it was during its time of service in WWII. Just as it was during WWII, it will be remaining as "Sierra Sue".

Finally, another bit of Minnesota warbird news - it has been rumored, and may be about to be confirmed, that Dan Martin's P-51D "Ridge Runner III" has been sold, and will be coming to Minnesota!
    By the way, I might try to get the first paint laid on the "Ruff Stuff" repaint, this coming weekend - I just have to ensure that prior commitments are adhered to first. ; )

Yes the P-82 is the "secret project" was semi-joking about, that will be great to see fly. No rush on Ruff Stuff repaint I know you are busy. Have a great time at Oshkosh!