First time round world trip. Tips?

Thread: First time round world trip. Tips?

First time round world trip. Tips?

Hey guys

I've been lurking these forums for a little while now and I'm loving seeing the adventures rolling out in this page.

I've decided that it's now my time to have a crack at the round world trip. (i can't believe I havn't done this before after being a MS flight sim participant for about 10 years now.

Just wondering if there's any tips that can be offered not only to make this trip more enjoyable, but to make it a legit trip.

Is there software I should use to track it? Certain hardware you have to fly in?

Appreciate your help.

Cheers

Hi cputters, and welcome to SOH.

World trips in flight sim can be very enjoyable and relaxing. I have done it twice (once in FS9 and again in FSX). For me, I picked a route that had interesting places to visit or the geography was challenging. The goal is to not bite off too much for each leg to keep things fresh. I prefer the "meander" style. Wherever the wind takes me that particular day.

To give you an idea, I documented my last attempt here:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...ght=cape+verde

I used the duenna flight tracker to help manage the stats for each leg. Here is a thread about getting up to speed on the duenna utility if you choose to try it out:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...quick-tutorial

I'm sure some others can chip in with some good advice. Good luck and keep us up to date on your progress.

Moses

PS: My first trip was in a Avro Shackleton and I went through Australia (Broome, Alice Springs, Townsville as I recall) before making my way up through Hawaii back to Texas.

Hello cputters,

You came to the right place with that question.

There are several here that have done it ... I am in the process right now:

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showth...-to-Weeksville

... and happy to help with any of it.

I'd trade email addys with ya ... but I think (if Moses is okay with it) you should be asking those questions right here as they come up ... maybe just a bit before so you don't have to wait.

That way anybody else that is thinking about it too, but is still planning or otherwise silent, can gain from your effort ... you be sharing and that's what we do.

Moses has given you the best info for flight tracking and matters of record.

If you need any help getting it to install or work in any way give a hollar ... when you are ready to go that program will allow you to create a named event that can be followed in google earth ... flight by flight ... live!

Find a comfortable aircraft that has some descent "legs" on it, get the duenna program up and running, try to come up with a theme for the journey ... then report back.

Good Luck,
    salt_air

If you like flying online one of the SOH FS Host servers (we run four servers at the moment) is currently hosting a very long round the world trip. It gives you the starting location and the heading, distance and ICAO code of the next destination. Once you get there the server automatically gives you the next one and so on.
    Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Tako_Kichi View Post
    If you like flying online one of the SOH FS Host servers (we run four servers at the moment) is currently hosting a very long round the world trip. It gives you the starting location and the heading, distance and ICAO code of the next destination. Once you get there the server automatically gives you the next one and so on.
    Ah cool.

That might be the go. Sounds fun.

I've done about a half dozen RTWs. I'm like Moses, the meandering "where are we going today" walkabout flights seem to work best for me.

One tip. If you're going to fly the same aircraft for the whole trip, then pick one you really like. There's been a few that I quit flying after going around the world in them. It was almost 6 months before I got back into the Beech 18 and it's my favorite FS aircraft.

I've got an idea for my next trip bouncing around between my ears. Multiple aircraft in all kinds of paint schemes. Still sorting out the details.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Quote Originally Posted by cputters View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tako_Kichi View Post
    Ah cool.

That might be the go. Sounds fun.
    Just for information the connection info for the SOH MP servers can be found at the 'SOH Flight Center' (a.k.a. sim-outhouse.net). The SOH FC is on a different server to this one and requires a second registration to access the forums as the memberships between the two forums are not interchangeable although you can use the same forum name if it is available on both.

Here is the connection info to access the first server:

http://www.sim-outhouse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8

Currently the main server, on port 23456, is running a hop list in Norway. This server usually changes the hop list on the first of the month. The hop list status and who is flying where can be found at this link:

http://www.sim-outhouse.net:8181/

The second server, on port 23457, is currently running a hop list from the east coast to the west coast of the USA using water runways only! The hop list status and who is flying where can be found at this link:

http://www.sim-outhouse.net:8182/

The third server, on port 23458, is currently running the round the world hop list. The hop list status and who is flying where can be found at this link:

http://www.sim-outhouse.net:8183/

The fourth server, on port 23459, is currently running a hop list in Alaska which includes both land and water runways so correct aircraft choice for each leg is essential otherwise you could find yourself with nowhere to land! The hop list status and who is flying where can be found at this link:

http://www.sim-outhouse.net:8184/

We also run a TeamSpeak 3 server for online communication purposes. Set-up and connection info can be found here:

http://www.sim-outhouse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=40

Hope that helps.
    Larry

I have all my ports forwarded correctly. (According to FS Port Test)

In connection settings have port 23459 selected

IP address 72.233.79.242

Yet it isn't connecting. Anything you guys can see I'm missing?

Thanks for your help

Chris

edit: I can connect, but not connect directly to the IP

Hi Chris,

Congrats on passing the FSHost Port Test .... even some ol' timers struggle with that.

UDP 23456 is the default port for multiplayer, but in order for the same server to have multiple simultaneous sessions running it needs to use additional ports like 23457 ... 23458 ... and so on.

I will be corrected if wrong, but I believe the SOH server uses the range of multiplayer ports from 23456 to 23460 ... this would of course include the one in question.

You can go back and change the 23456 to what ever port is required per session (why mess up the port test) ... or you can simply go back to the 23456 assignment in your router and change it to open the range and not be concerned.

Cheers,
    salt_air

I have all my ports forwarded correctly. (According to FS Port Test)

In connection settings have port 23459 selected

IP address 72.233.79.242

Yet it isn't connecting. Anything you guys can see I'm missing?

Thanks for your help

Chris

edit: I can connect, but not connect directly to the IP
    Are you using FS2004 or FSX?

With FS2004 you can connect directly but make sure you lock your frames to 24 FPS otherwise you will block out other users due to a bug in the FS2004 MP code.

With FSX you need to run a client application with FSX in windowed mode. The client is available from here:

http://www.chocolatesoftware.com/fsh...ostclient.html

As salt_air said you need to open a range of ports in your router (23456-23459) in order to access all the servers.

If you are still having problems let us know and tell us which FS version you are running so that we can walk you through the connection process.
    Larry

Thanks guys,

I'm using FSX with Acceleration.

I'll dl the program and give it a shot.

Cheers
    Chris

edit: I now ave FSHOST and FSHOST client working. (I can see myself as joined to my own game as per the instructions.)

Now...how do I get THAT, onto FSX? (Do I need to use another IP address apart from the one FSHOST assignes me?)

Over at the A2A forums someone made it around the world in the Cub.

http://a2asimulations.com/forum/view...p?f=62&t=19649

edit: I now ave FSHOST and FSHOST client working. (I can see myself as joined to my own game as per the instructions.)

Now...how do I get THAT, onto FSX? (Do I need to use another IP address apart from the one FSHOST assignes me?)
    You don't need the FSHost software unless you want to host your own server, to connect to our servers using FSX you just need the FSHost Client software.

Here's how you connect:

1. Start FSX, select your required aircraft and any airport where you start on the ground. Then select the weather you want and time of day. Start the flight and wait until the sim loads all data.

2. Once you are in the 3D world make sure FSX is in 'windowed' mode (ALT+ENTER) as it needs to be in that mode and not full screen mode so that you can see the pop-up FS Host chat box where you will get instructions for each leg.

3. Now start the FSHost Client software and you should see a dialogue box as shown below:

4. Enter your player name and the IP address shown in the relevant boxes and enter port 23456 (assuming you have opened up ports 23456 to 23460 in your router) then click the <Search for IP sessions> button.

5. You should then see the following information:

6. This screen is showing that you have successfully connected to the main MP server and shows the four current hop lists running on the various ports.

7. Select the hop list you wish to join (23458 for the round the world hop list) and click the <Connect> button.

8. Once connected you will see the following dialogue box:

This shows the 'chat box' where you can 'text chat' with other players and where information pertaining to your specific hop list is displayed (the server tracks users based on their player name so that if you leave and come back later it will remember where you are on the list and display the correct information for the next leg).

9. Type ?hop in the text line and hit 'Enter' and the server will provide information on where to start the hop list. In FSX use the 'Go to Airport' menu item to switch to the specified airport and then once there switch back to the chat box and type ?hop again. This time the server will give you the heading, distance and ICAO code for the destination airport. Enter the ICAO code into the GPS and fly the leg. When you land the server will automatically pop up the chat box with instructions for the next leg. Continue in this manner until you complete the entire hop list.

Hopefully that will sort you out but if it doesn't SHOUT!
    Larry

Awesome, thank you. Looks to all be working.

Seems I was under a confusion cloud over all the programs.

What is with Duenna in that case? I thought you needed that to record your flight's data? (BTW, that program is saying I have settings set that aren't. haha)

You only need the Duenna if you're racing. It's to keep everyone honest during our events.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Oakey Dokie

Thanks for your help guys.

I'm currently doing a test flight to see if I have it all set up for my RTW attempt.

DC-3 from Hervey Bay Queensland (My home airstrip) to Townsville International.

We'll see how we go I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    You only need the Duenna if you're racing. It's to keep everyone honest during our events.
    Does Duenna supply those cute little maps with the flight route on them? If not where do they come from?
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Quote Originally Posted by Naismith View Post
    Does Duenna supply those cute little maps with the flight route on them? If not where do they come from?
    Yes it does. On the completion of a flight (good or bad) the Duenna will produce a detailed text file containing data recorded during the flight and the graphic summary file.
    Larry