Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Vettes'

Cool 'Vettes'

Man do I love these cars!

Corvette Sting Ray Convertible by RedTail_Panther, on Flickr

Vintage Corvette Convertible by RedTail_Panther, on Flickr

Well Mr. P., sometimes ya just gotta dream a little bit;

http://www.proteam-corvette.com/

I made a visit a long time ago, 1992 IIRC and I can still remember the feeling of all those lovelry Corvettes waiting to be taken for a spin. If I ever win some Lotto $$$, I'd find a way to get back to Napoleon, Ohio and I wouldn't be flying back home. I'd be getting my kicks on Route 66!

I've always liked the looks of the 1st Gen Corvettes best. Especially the 58 to 62s.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Quote Originally Posted by Meshman View Post
    Well Mr. P., sometimes ya just gotta dream a little bit;

http://www.proteam-corvette.com/

Nahhh.... this is the one for me...

Just passed 230,000 miles....

:ernae:

--WH

Quote Originally Posted by WarHorse47 View Post

Just passed 230,000 miles....

--WH
    That looks a LOT like the Vette I used to have except mine wasn't a convertible (1975). What model is it?
    XP Pro: Intel D975XBX2 /QX6700 @ 3.50GHz / 8800GTX / 2X2GB G.Skill PC2 8500 / Ultra 120 Extreme / 150GB Raptor / 320GB Seagate 7200.10 / PC P&C Silencer 750 PSU / CM Stacker 810 / LITE-ON 20X DVD / X-FI Music

Vista Ultimate 64: Intel D975XBX2 / Q6700 @ 3.6GHz / 8800GTX / 4X2GB G.Skill PC2 8000 / Ultra 120 Extreme / 150GB Raptor / 750GB WD Caviar / PC P&C Silencer 750 PSU / CM Stacker 810 / LITE-ON SATA DVD / onboard sound

Quote Originally Posted by tpet View Post
    here is mine...Attachment 41774
    Now that's a Corvette!
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Quote Originally Posted by David_L6 View Post
    That looks a LOT like the Vette I used to have except mine wasn't a convertible (1975). What model is it?
    Early 1974 L-82. When I say early - it came off the assembly line in August 1973 and arrived at the dealer in September 1973.

--WH

Quote Originally Posted by tpet View Post
    here is mine...
    BTW, I envy you.....

Early 1974 L-82. When I say early - it came off the assembly line in August 1973 and arrived at the dealer in September 1973.

--WH
    Difficult for me to tell the difference between the '74 and '75. I think the only difference is the keyhole for the alarm on the '75.

Mine the the "L" engine too. L-AZY. (L-48)
    XP Pro: Intel D975XBX2 /QX6700 @ 3.50GHz / 8800GTX / 2X2GB G.Skill PC2 8500 / Ultra 120 Extreme / 150GB Raptor / 320GB Seagate 7200.10 / PC P&C Silencer 750 PSU / CM Stacker 810 / LITE-ON 20X DVD / X-FI Music

Vista Ultimate 64: Intel D975XBX2 / Q6700 @ 3.6GHz / 8800GTX / 4X2GB G.Skill PC2 8000 / Ultra 120 Extreme / 150GB Raptor / 750GB WD Caviar / PC P&C Silencer 750 PSU / CM Stacker 810 / LITE-ON SATA DVD / onboard sound

Quote Originally Posted by David_L6 View Post
    Difficult for me to tell the difference between the '74 and '75. I think the only difference is the keyhole for the alarm on the '75.

Mine the the "L" engine too. L-AZY. (L-48)
    The '74 is the last year before electronic ignition and catalytic converter so its considered the last Vette with a real production dual exhaust.

It is the ONLY year Corvette produced WITHOUT an emblem on the gas lid.

It is the FIRST produciton year with the urethane rear end, and is easily distinguishable from the '75 because 1) it was made in two sections resulting in a seam down the center due to the technogy of the day, 2) it does not have the black overrides (crash extensions) and 3) the tail lamps have no screw because they're secured from the inside rather than the outside.

And as you mentioned it was the first year where the alarm switch was relocated to the left front fender. That was because the '73 was the last year for the chrome rear bumper and fiberglass tail, so it was a logical decision to move the switch.

The '74 also had some other differences such as an air pump to reduce emissions, but as I recall that this might be related to state laws such as if it was sold in California. The body mounts were also different as the '74 was reported to have a rougher ride the previous Vettes. Oh yes, one more thing. It was the last year for the 454 big block.

--WH

No apolgies needed, P. The shots are great. If anything I would take a closer look at the paint job or fiberglass work.

Since this thread is on real Corvettes, I thought I'd kinda make a connection here and share one more of my photos. The connection is between my love of autos and historic aircraft, and somewhere inbetween is the flightsimming world.

I've always loved military aviation history starting with building models as a kid and today going to museums and air shows. When I could afford a car I gravitated to sports cars and eventually the Corvette you've seen in my screenshots. After years of ownership including repairs, restorations, show judging, trophies, etc., I know what it takes to own and maintain the Vettes shown in this thread. It awes me to think what it takes to take that to a higher level in the reconstruction and restoration of aircraft we often see at the shows and museums. I definitely have massive appreciation for anyone in either hobby.

Okay, if you want to talk REAL Corvettes, here's one for you..

Anyone recognize this one? BTW, it's the real deal - chassi 03 which was at the time owned by a private collector from Issaquah, WA.

--WH

Hmmm.. Guess I gotta give the answer.

http://www.grandsportcorvette.com/gs/index.html

--WH

my nieghbor had a 1969 roadster,with the 427 and the black side pipes that were functioning,they modified it to take wider wheels and tires.but thats all....i was in the process of buying it when Rosie died suddenly of cancer and the daughter stepped in a kept the car....i was heart broken but i also understood the need for the daughter to keep the car...

Hmmm.. Guess I gotta give the answer.

http://www.grandsportcorvette.com/gs/index.html

--WH
    I like #002 the most!

Shot these with Kodak Portra 160NC film.....

1960s Vintage Corvette by RedTail_Panther, on Flickr

1960s Corvette by RedTail_Panther, on Flickr

Vintage Corvette by RedTail_Panther, on Flickr

There is a shop in Tampa, Fl down Dale Mabry Hwy that restores 'Vettes. You can buy a brand new 'vette there if you checkbook is big enough. These are complete with the proper paint notes on the undercarrage. Some of those you gotta see, Very hard to tell from the original.
    Joe Watson
    Lake Placid, Florida

It's the 2nd generation 'vettes that float my boat. My Dad took me to the Los Angeles Auto Show when I was 9 years old (1963) and when I saw the Split Window model it was pretty much all over AFAIC. I was managing a gas station in Redwood City in 1974 aaand one of my regular customers had a '65 race prepared (but street legal) coupe that I used to beg him to let me drive. Only in my dreams. Still.

LA

Warhorse47 covered the important stuff, so- was hugely fortunate to own a '74 ragtop in 1979 at the ripe old age of 21. Insurance agent got confused over the VIN and thought it was a Chevette, not a Corvette, and being young and dumb, never did correct him, only way I could afford it. 4 and a half years of fun, except for all the mechanical issues. Only got rid of it because the frame was getting soft. Back in the day when I could put all of my valuables into a car that did not have a trunk and move a thousand miles away.
    My 03 Miata is close to the same color of maroon that the Vette was, handles a ton better, costs a lot less to operate, but - the view from the cockpit was awesome in the Vette.
    Sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice.
    (Clarke and Clark)

60s were indeed nice.....

Members who have read this thread: 0