Switch to FSX?

Thread: Switch to FSX?

Switch to FSX?

So I've been using FS9 for alittle while since I've recently found out that civilian flying really is alot of fun and very realistic. I thought I'd never say that. Been flying combat sims since the day's of SWOTL. Besides firing up ROF, all I fly now is FS9. (I love AirHauler)
    Anyway, I would like to make the switch to FSX, but after reading alot of posts, don't really know if my machine can handle it. Is it possible to have acceptable framerates with an AMD Phenom 555 x2 3.2 ghz with 2gig memory Geforce 9600gt factory overclocked with 1gig memory? It'll be awhile before I can upgrade.

Here's to hoping

I'm not a computer whiz, but I think you'll do fine... It's better than what I have, and FSX runs pretty good on mine. (With no scenery or autogen).

It's my uneducated guess.

Walter

My system has an AMD 5000+ 2.6 ghz with 2 gigs ram and a 9600 GT OC 512MB video card. I fly around the Orbx PNW (set to their recommended settings other than AI set to 33%) and I get fps in the range of 20 to 30 with the exception of cities like Vancouver, Victoria and Seattle which I avoid like the plague.

This would be flying with the default FSX aircraft including the Acceleration F/A-18A Hornet, but I get only around 15 fps with addon aircraft like the RealAir Turbine Duke.

Regards, Mike Mann

Your PC should be okay. My system is similar to Mikes...AMD 4400 + 2.3ghz, 3 gig RAM and 1 gig 9800GT video card and get the same sort of results as Mike, although I have done some tweaking to FSX.

I eventually dumped FS9 (somewhat reluctantly with all those addons) as I just wasnt using it. Apart from some biggish urban areas of Orbx scenery (and large urban default areas) I get good results.

I am very careful with the aircraft I buy too as some are FPS killers for me. Since my choice of aircraft are warbirds and GA flying within rural and small urban areas FSX suits me fine.

Quote Originally Posted by mmann View Post
    My system has an AMD 5000+ 2.6 ghz with 2 gigs ram and a 9600 GT OC 512MB video card. I fly around the Orbx PNW (set to their recommended settings other than AI set to 33%) and I get fps in the range of 20 to 30 with the exception of cities like Vancouver, Victoria and Seattle which I avoid like the plague. . . . . . . .Regards, Mike Mann
    Mike, a bit OT here, but was the 9600GT OC'd at the factory or did you do it yourself? I have the same card, but have stayed away from trying to OC it as I don't understand the process well enough.:salute:
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

To the OP, I think you'll do fine, I also had an 9600 GT until this years beginning. The 9600 series were good cards, IMHO.
    You might experience memory related errors (autogen spiking etc) in complex scenarios or with maxed sliders though, because 512mb is a little low.

[Edit: just saw you mentioned you have 1024mb on your card, so disregard my inital comment]

You might want to check out Jesus Altoves FSX config tool at

http://www.venetubo.com/fsx.html

That really did some magic, at least for me.
    Ah, and about OC-ing the video card: I also tried that and never got any results that were worth the trouble or increased temperatures that go along with that.

What OS do you have?

Cheers,
    Mark

Coastie Dolphins/Spartans CG_1976's Avatar
    This is valuable to any AMD users.
    You might want to check out Jesus Altoves FSX config tool at

http://www.venetubo.com/fsx.html

Nice tip Mark
    Are you running W7 by chance? With W7 and AMD I got a massive Frame rush and increase in fluidity over XP. All in all your stats look real good. Oh and im pluggin, Orbyx and OzX is healthy snack for you AMD, just away from Seattle it kills anyone's CPU, even my 6 core.

AMD FX 8-Core Black 4.2Ghz, 8G Ram 2TB HD, W8.1 pending W10, ATI R5 2G X2 Crossfire
    http://www.canadianarcticfse.com/

I have a similar system to you but have given up on FSX for the time being.
    While it works I have to have AI traffic turned down to much for my liking and complex commercial addons (detailed airports) turn it into a slide show.

Seems that if you do not over clock to 4.5 gig the performance is better with FS2004.
    But I suppose it depends on your expectations. For me an intel E8500 and ATI 5870 card with either 2 or 4 gig of ram is no good for FSX.

I am hopeing these new sandy bridge processors end up being easy to over clock to 4.5 gig on air. Then I may give FSX a go again.

To sum it works, but FS2004 works far better.

Cheers MarkL

Charter Member 2010
    Blog Entries
    Here's one for ya!
    I run FSX on my system (after years of thinking that I shouldn't even try) and all I have are the following:
    Core 2 Duo 2.33
    8600 GT 256mg
    3 Gigs ram

All I have is default scenery but with some payware and most freeware planes I get between the mid teens to 30 fps. Only a few Payware planes drop it down too much.
    Most if not all my sliders are at 75%.

Although I'm thinking about finally upgrading to a 512mg video card (what ever the highest my power supply will allow), just not sure if I'd get much gain from it.

Now of course this set up runs FS9 wonderful with payware scenery add-ons.

Thanks guys, I think I'll pick it up and see what it can do. I'll have to get it sometime anyway. I build my computers and keep them streamlined and all cleaned up, so learning how to tweak FSX will be fun. I'll check out that config tool for sure.

I can see this is all gonna start costing me some dough. With all the addons, computer parts, and peripheral's, looks like I won't be playing as much golf this year. But I can't help it now, the bug has bitten me, and I'm sucked in. It'll be cool checking out some freeware tho. Some look really nice and you can see alot of love has went into them. Oh boy, what a hobby we have huh?

(Why does work have to get in the way?:angryfir

How big your monitor is and what resolution you run it at are two important things to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    Mike, a bit OT here, but was the 9600GT OC'd at the factory or did you do it yourself? I have the same card, but have stayed away from trying to OC it as I don't understand the process well enough.:salute:
    The card is a BFG NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT OC 512MB PCIe 2.0 and the OC is BFG's not mine.

Regards, Mike Mann

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    I have the same card, but have stayed away from trying to OC it as I don't understand the process well enough.
    0. Research how much others have achieved with your type of card to get an idea about the performance window.
    1. Increase core, shader and memory frequencies in steps of 10 MHz with a tool like NVidiaInspector.
    2. Run a benchmark (e.g. Unigine Heaven) and watch GPU temperatures (e.g. with Everest and GPU-Z)
    3. Repeat 1 and 2 until the card runs too hot (95°C should be the limit) or you get a driver crash (Hint: Shader clocks give in first, GPU and memory frequencies can be pushed further, though)
    4. Back off the frequencies by 5 MHz or so to have slight safety margin.
    5. Done.