DHC's Adventures?? In The Andes
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: DHC's Adventures?? In The Andes

DHC's Adventures?? In The Andes

After a weekend in the Cross-Bar Hotel, I was besieged with paperwork the Judge threw at me, all so I could get my pilot's license and Passport back (and in order!) Needless to say, this took longer (a LOT longer) than expected. When I finally did leave the courthouse, a long black (and blacked-out) limo, with my two "friends" (the Brooks Brothers Suit guys) were waiting to pick me up.. I was tossed into the trunk and taken to "an undisclosed location" where I was all but carried onto a windowless "biz jet". A few hours later, we landed (I learned) in Marcaibo, Venezuela. I was given a map, on it was a penciled line from Mercaibo to Merida, and pointed to what I thought was a War-Weary B-24.. Turned-out to be a C-87.. Where's my C-82 Packet I bought??? The "Brooks Brothers" sold it for scrap!!
    A preflight check showed the Left & Right Mains were full (738 gallons each) and the cargo areas were packed to the rafters... Sixteen Thousand Four Hundred and Ninety Eight (Yes, 16,498) pounds worth.. (Will this crate fly with that much stuff??) One Hundred Fifty of it was "The Brooks Brothers" special cargo. I was told that there will be "people", every where I land, that will take the 150lb "package" and will give me another in it's place..
    Well, I buttoned-up the converted bomber and flew to Merida.
    It was an easy flight but a helluva landing.. sort of a "squeeze your cheeks" to fly between two mountains and land in the valley.. I almost missed the airport, believing it to be on the other side of the mountains (so much for my E-6B calculations), but just happened to look out the co-pilots window and caught sight of the PAPI lights.. So I did a decending left-hand "corkscrew" to get down from 25,000' to 7000' for the approach.. And the saying: "A B-24 is a truck" ain't idle talk.. just like an eighteen wheeler.. "Give me forty acres and I'll turn this rig around!" Not a pretty landing, but a "Green Duenna"!!
    I off-loaded Fifteen Thousand, Three Hundred Seventy-Eight pounds (15,378lbs) of commercial cargo (not counting the mysterious hundred-fifty pound package!) and used 2063.1lbs of fuel.
    I reloaded the C-87 with Sixteen Thousand, Nine Hundred Pounds of "Commercial" (not counting the mysterious hundred-fifty pound package!)..
    Next stop Bucaramanga, somewhere.... another map with a penciled line!!
    Charles

Flight #2 SVMD to SKBG

Merida to Bucaramanga is in the book.. I bypassed Bocono due to what I think is a short field (did that with the B-17 in the South Pacific Event.. Tore up a LOT of landing gears!).
    Delivered my 10,000 pounds of Commercial Cargo, still have the "Brooks Brothers" package on board and used 2135.6 Pounds of Fuel (356 Gallons). The flight was a "lengthy" forty-six minutes long..
    Attachment 41158Attachment 41159
    Charles

Flight #3 SKBG-SKBO

Departing SKBG for SKBO.
    Gross Take-Off Weight: 49841.
    Fuel On-Board: 8856.
    Payload: 10,000.
    Crew & Baggage: 340.
    MTOW for C-87: 56,000.

Weather at Palonegro is stated to be:
    Scattered Clouds,
    Wind 057* at 07kts,
    Visibility Ten Miles.

I have not seen the "Brooks Brothers" since leaving Maracabio, but a person with the "correct documents" has exchanged the 150lb "parcel" at both stops, so far.. We'll see what transpires next..
    Charles

Flight #3 SKBG-SKBO..... Finally!

First attempt at Palonegro-Bogota resulted in my poor ol Liberator pancaked into a hill well short of the runway.

Second flight...
    Arrived SKBO Bogota.
    Fuel Used: 1800.
    Flight Time: 1:03:46
    Crew & Baggage: 340.
    Gross Weight on Takeoff: (per MSFS9): 49841
    Gross Weight on Takeoff (per Duenna): 49820.5
    (MTOW: 56,000lbs)Attachment 41260
    Maintenance Points:

The first flight started off bad. Takeoff out of Palonegro used every inch of the runway and my airspeed barely cracked 100mph.. I struggled to climb to 13000' plus the Liberator was "flying level" with an eight degree pitch up. Average "crusing" speed rarely showed more than 100mph.. I stalled (several times) when adjusting throttles/mixture for Normal Cruise.. Stalling out was the cause of my crash..
    On restarting back at Palonegro, the C-87 was a different plane.. I rotated at 120mph well short of the end of the runway..
    There is no doubt in my mind that friends (or enemies) of "Brooks Brothers", or their employer, did something to my plane.. But, after I pancaked into the hill, there were a LOT of "Black Helicopters", including the HUGE Sirkorsky, picking-up ALL the cargo, debris and plane parts. I found a horse to ride to the next town where I rode a bus back to Palonegro where my C-87 was waiting, repaired and looking as good as it ever did... which was marginal, at best!
    Methinks there is something afoot about this "150lb package" I am "trading" at every stop.. not to mention the rather nefarious characters who come to exchange the "package"

Attachment 41260Attachment 41259Attachment 41260

I don't know how I added three "txt" files....
    Charles

Flight #4 SKBO to SKMZ to SKPI

Attempting SKBO to SKMZ followed by a Turn & Burn for SKPI.

Fuel On Board: 11256.
    (Crew & Bags: 340.)
    Gross Weight: 49841.
    MTOW: 56,000.
    Charles

That's a big bird there Charles!

Good Luck!

salt_air

Flight #4 SKBO to SKMZ to SKPI

Attachment 41773Attachment 41775Attachment 41776Attachment 41777 Flight #4 SKBO to SKMZ to SKPI

SKBO-SKMZ
    Fuel Weight on Landing: 11217.5
    Fuel Consumed (Per Duenna) 1012lbs.
    Direct Distance: 81.2nm.
    Flight Time: 00:31:55.
    Payload: 10,000 lbs.
    Gross Weight (on T/O Per MSFS): 49841 lbs.
    MTOW: 56,000lbs.

SKMZ-SKPI
    Fuel Weight on Take-Off: 10065.9
    Fuel Consumed (Per Duenna) 2575.9 lbs.
    Direct Distance: 191.4 nm.
    Flight Time: 01:36:33.
    Gross Weight (on T/O Per Duenna): 51051 lbs. (really??)
    Gross Weight on Landing (Per Duenna) 48475 lbs.

(Me thinks MSFS9 & Duenna ain’t reading the same page!!)

The Wx over Bogota began deteriorating as I was preparing for takeoff. Tho Visability was five miles, actual flight conditions were IFR until I broke thru the clouds/fog at 10,500’AMSL.
    Approach & landing visibility at La Nubia was not much better, but cleared just below 9000’. After a Left-Hand Circuit, a Straight-In approach was made on Rwy 9. After a thirty-minute “turn around”, I was off for Pitalito.
    The “oooo-eeee” moment occurred after passing over San Marino (SK0C).. Below me some several thousand feet was a Beech KingAir. It “bird-dogged” me for several miles then disappeared as quickly as it appeared. I assume “The Brooks Brothers” were keeping tabs on the destination of their mysterious cargo.. who knows??
    Because of the lack of Nav Aids at Pitalito, I had to get “creative” with the NDB’s in the area (six of them, in all), creating a course that took me over Guillermo Valencia (SKPP) then a “measured flight” on a predetermined compass heading” (187*) until I picked-up the NDB at SKPS, where I then turned to a heading of 60* (back course of 240*) that all but took me straight towards the airport (SKPI)..
    The almost catastrophic event of the flight took place on this leg.. The plane is on AutoPilot, I’m working the “Whiz-Wheel” (E-6B), pencil and calculator (fingers and toes) to BE SURE my heading figure was right, when I looked up (just in time!!) to see Stratos Graniteous “cloud” filling my windscreen. I’d been cruising in the 12,500-12,750 range, the map showed NO Mountains above 9000’, so I thought I was okay.. WRONG!! I clicked-off the AP, firewalled the throttles climbed and banked right to go “over” the right side of the mountain.. My altimeter showed 14,500 or so as I “cleared” the side of the mountain (I did NOT go over the top of the mountain).. A bit of a pucker moment, to say the least.
    On the “downside” of that mountain was Pitalito.. There was also fairly dense ground fog below me. I descended to about 7000’AMSL, and began “looking” for the airport, the fog was NOT helping. Fortunately, I was only a few miles northwest and was able to line-up the slow responding C-87 for an easy touch-down.
    Tag It and Bag It..
    Charles.
    Charles

Great flight Charles. Gotta love those surprises.

Quote Originally Posted by robert41 View Post
    Great flight Charles. Gotta love those surprises.
    Robert;
    Thanks.. RE: Surprises.. I love em.. Just not granite ones coming at my windscreen at 150kts ;-} I've had my share of "High Speed Sudden Stops".. I raced motorcycles for ten years.. Three as an AMA Class C Pro..
    Charles.
    Charles

Flight #5 SKPI to SKPS to SEQU to SERB

Attempting Three “Turn & Burn” legs.
    SKPI-SKPS-SEQU-SERB

Fuel On Board: 11256.
    (Crew & Bags: 340.)
    Gross Weight: 52,241.
    MTOW: 56,000.

Charles.
    Charles

Flight #5 Completed SKPI-SKPS-SEQU-SERB

Leg: SKPI-SKPS. Duenna 11-25-08
    Landing Weight: 50782.5.
    Fuel Used: 1374.7.
    Direct Distance: 79.9nm.
    Flight Time: 00:42:18.
    Max Altitude: 14,325’AMSL

Leg: SKPS-SEQU. Duenna 12-36-50
    Landing Weight: 49346.3.
    Fuel Used: 1270.3.
    Direct Distance: 117.3nm.
    Flight Time: 00:43:25.
    Max Altitude: 14,192’AMSL.

Leg: SEQU-SERB. Duenna 13-32-15
    Landing Weight: 48223.1.
    Fuel Used: 1018.0.
    Direct Distance: 92.3nm.
    Flight Time: 00:31:15.
    Max Altitude: 14,951’AMSL.

In the scheme of things, this group of legs
    was a fairly “easy” flight. I had NDB’s to
    aim at (for the most part), only one
    “intersect” point (south out of NDB “AMB”
    to intersect & turn to the Reciprocal of 220*,
    the approach heading to SERB).
    All would have been really easy is I wasn’t
    Feeling like Juan Manual Fangio racing the
    Millia Miga in a overloaded ‘50’s Cadillac
    Fleetwood. In other words, I’m “yankin’ &
    bankin’” this 50,000lb truck in and around
    these mountains, looking for saddles in the
    mountains, valleys going “my direction” or
    just plain flying around a mountain to avoid
    tagging the “Hard Ceiling”.
    The only “Aw Sh… ucks” moment was when I
    Intercepted the RIO NDB. My Radio Compass is
    telling me I’m “on the beam”, the mountain in
    front of me was saying otherwise. I opted to go
    left around the mountain and minutes before I
    would have been totally committed to the direction,
    I realized the Radio Compass was pointing to my
    “Other Left!”
    The good news, no strange planes, no blacked-out
    Limos, no “Brooks Brothers” this trip.

Attachment 41923Attachment 41924Attachment 41925Attachment 41926Attachment 41927Attachment 41928
    Charles

Flight #6 SERB-SETM-SPJE-SPJB-SPHZ

Attempting a Four Leg jaunt. I plan on refueling at SPJE, we’ll see.
    Departing SERB for:
    SETM-SPJE-SPJB & SPHZ.
    Total Fuel: 11256 lbs.
    Total Payload: 10,000 lbs.
    Gross Weight: 52241 lbs.
    MTOW: 56,000 lbs.
    Charles

Flight #6. Wanna make the gods laugh? Make Plans!!

Attachment 42386Attachment 42385 So much for my Four Hop Flight..

Arrived SETM

SERB-SETM
    Fuel Weight on Landing: 49979.4
    Fuel Consumed (Per Duenna) 2147.2
    Direct Distance: 147.0.
    Flight Time: 01:09:48.
    Gross Weight (on T/O) 52126.7 lbs.

Take-Off from Chimborazo was, without a doubt, one of THE worst runways I have ever been on.. I’ve taken off and landed on PSP, dirt strips, grass strips and even vacant fields, but nothing matches SERB for “sea sickness”, except the USAT Transport Breckenridge in a typhoon in the South Pacific (circa 1949)!!
    As my cargo was being off loaded and ten thousand pounds of fresh fruit and other perishable commodities were waiting (in the hot sun) to be loaded, here comes that blacked-out limo.. Yup, out steps “The Brooks Brothers”. I figure I’m going for another ride in the trunk, but no, the “Brooks Brothers” go over and talk to the customs official (and part-time Alcalde, night watchman, street sweeper, etc.), then the next thing I know, the Alcalde takes my passport and pilots license because they “look suspicious”.. The “Brooks Brothers” must have pulled an inflatable pilot out of a briefcase (I really don’t know where the guy came from), HE fires up my C-87 and takes off, leaving the cargo and me on the tarmac..
    I’ll tell more when I know more. Anyone got a Credit Card number they can send me?? The hotel won’t take travelers checks nor American money.. only “American Express Gold Card”
    Charles

Flight #7 SETM-SPJE

Don’t know what the seal was, but my C-87 is sitting on the tarmac, loaded and ready to go. I’ve been “released” by the Alcalde and I’m getting’ the hell outta Dodge!

Departing SETM for SPJE
    Total Fuel: 8995.2 lbs.
    Total Payload: 10,000 lbs.
    Gross Weight: 49979 lbs.
    MTOW: 56,000 lbs.
    Charles

Flight #7 Arrived SPJE

Arrived SPJE

SETM-SPJE
    Fuel Weight on Landing: 4874
    Fuel Consumed (Per Duenna) 1174.1
    Direct Distance: 102.9.
    Flight Time: 00:39:34.
    Max Altitude: 14,023’AMSL.
    Gross Weight (on T/O) 49979 lbs.

Doing a quick turn-around, heading for SPJE Pampa Grande.
    Attachment 42450Attachment 42451
    Charles

Screen Shots for Flight #7

Finally found a Screen Shot Program that Works for me!!Attachment 42455Attachment 42456Attachment 42457Attachment 42458
    Charles

Flight #7 SPJE-SPJB

Doing a quick turn-around, heading for SPJE Pampa Grande.

Take-Off Weight: 48740.0
    Fuel: 7755.0
    Payload: 10,000. Departing SPJE

Crew & bags: 340.
    Charles

Flight #7 SPJE-SPJB

Gob Smacked into granite wall at end of SPJB Runway.. Landed long and could not fly out. "Maintenance Points": 4! Anybody got a spare C-87??
    Charles

Quote Originally Posted by DHC120 View Post
    Gob Smacked into granite wall at end of SPJB Runway..
    ˇAy, caramba!

Dang Charles... hate hearing about these... from anyone.

Yeah you get down in that hole and "Papa" Grande is a one shot deal...

Kind of like Lukla.

"Shake it off"

Quote Originally Posted by Great Ozzie View Post
    ˇAy, caramba!

Dang Charles... hate hearing about these... from anyone.

Yeah you get down in that hole and "Papa" Grande is a one shot deal...

Kind of like Lukla.

"Shake it off"
    Ozzie;
    Yeah, it's an aggravation.. I purposely by-passed SVBK Bocono because of a short runway, then I see the C-54 guys going to these short fields with no problems (do C-54's have Prop Reversers??).. I did a couple of 4500' runways and stopped passed the end and had to begin my take-off a couple of plane lengths before the start of the runway. The C-87 is slow to gain speed, on the ground and in the air.. Having mountains at the end of a runway makes it tough.. At one airport, I had to do a "tight spiral" to gain altitude and airspeed to get out of the "bowl".. But, SPJB Jaen, at 3445' with a granite "Arresting Wall", is just too short for my plane and my (limited) skills..
    Oh Well, gotta climb back on that horse ;-}
    Thanks for the encouragement.. It's appreciated.
    Charles

Flight #7B SPJE-SPJB

Reflight of Flight #7.

Take-Off Weight: 48734.0
    Fuel: 7749.0
    Departing SPJE
    After spending much of the day practicing “STOL’s” (and crashing, a lot) at SPJB, I’m giving it an official “go”.. (

Check List: Crossed fingers, lucky rabbit’s foot, four leaf clover, lucky horseshoe, had the Medicine Man cast spells to ward off evil spirits.. Yup, Ready to go!

Charles

That's quite a challenge, getting the big Liberator Express into the small dirt field.
    Knocking on wood...
    -Mike

Flight #7B SPJE-SPJB ARRIVED!!

Arrived SPJB!! YEAH!!

Gross Weight T/O (Duenna): 48583.7.
    Fuel T/O (Duenna): 7589.7
    Gross Weight (Landing): 46854.
    Fuel Used (Duenna): 1729.5
    Flight Distance: 128nm.
    Flight Time: 00:50:59
    Max Altitude: 16,409.

And I forgot to take a screenshot!!

Charles

Quote Originally Posted by MM View Post
    That's quite a challenge, getting the big Liberator Express into the small dirt field.
    Knocking on wood...
    Mike;
    "Quite a challenge" ain't the half of it.. Talk about "creative flying"...
    I doubt, very seriously, ANY AAF Instructor would have passed a cadet doing the type of flying I did to land AND take-off..
    Like I said in my Departure post, I spent the better part of today "learning" this strip.. what would and would not work.. I left a lot of flaming holes in that granite wall and a lot of flaming debris from the house, on the hill and down the hillside.. It wasn't pretty..
    I just considered the "landing strip" as a suggestion.. I came over the hill right at 9000', I aimed for a "hump" that put me on a track right between the house and the tree on the left. That's where I tried to touch down so I'd be able to roll-out and stop without nosing over.
    I'll tell you about the take-off after the next leg..
    Charles

Quote Originally Posted by DHC120 View Post
    Arrived SPJB!! YEAH!!
    :salute:

:ernae:

Excellent!