salt_air's Mountain Mission Expedition ... " Looney in a Gooney" - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: salt_air's Mountain Mission Expedition ... " Looney in a Gooney"

Leg 27 SCCF - SASA

What to me has been a fabulous journey ... one of my personal favorites ... will draw to a close as we land in Salta later this morning.

Sally, my very capable co-pilot, has asked to stay on with me until we get back to the US ... I have agreed of course.

The cargo for this last flight is being guarded closely by officials from Argentina who will accompany the items ... billed as radio equipment ... I don't know - I don't care ... it's just another load of cargo to me.

Sad that the Andes Airways' mission will be complete, but looking forward to spending some "Quality" time off while I wait to hear what Juan Trippe has in store for me.

Caught by surprise at my arrival ... sooner than expected ... he is currently en route to Salta from New York with several stops of his own to make along the way.

Could be "camped out" in Salta for several days or longer, but by being a guest of the Peron family and thought very highly of by the owners of this DC-3 that I have "brought home", I'll be well taken care of and likely spoiled rotten before he arrives.

I will be receiving messages from Mr. Trippe as he travels via shortwave radio from his aircraft to the Pan American facilities ... then by wire to Salta.

Looking over my shoulder at the last cot, bench or floor that I will be sleeping on for a while, I grab my satchel, and flight bag and start towards the plane.

Taking Off: SCCF - SASA

Maximum Takeoff Weight: 26,200

Takeoff Weight: 23425

Empty Weight: 16,145

Fuel: 940.3

Payload: 6,000

Crew: 340
    salt_air

Quote Originally Posted by Moses03 View Post
    Make sure you get a receipt!

Show me the money!!

salt_air

Austin,
    all the best for this last leg of a long trip done with style.
    It was a pleasure following allong your flights, and learn a thing or two about flying the DC-3.
    Hats off to the Pelican. :salute:

Safe and sound at Salta

Across the room when the engine noise stopped ... a glance at the monitor from there found the DC-3 at a comfortable 17000' and at least 3 or 4 thousand AGL.

Started toward the the computer to switch tanks and ran the toes of my right foot right into the leg on a chair ... now I'm holding that foot up to my belt line (why?) ... with both hands and drawing air in rapidly past clinched teeth ... sounds a little bit like a snake or cat maybe and hopping on the other foot (again why?).

Funny, looking back, but by now the DC-3 is completely out of patience and is pointed upwards to the sky at about 60 degrees doing every bit of 70 kts. under no power at all ... with the exception of what ol' man Gravity is willingly providing while rubbing his hands together with anticipation and drawing air between his teeth much as I described myself.

Already grabbing for keys before I'm completely in the chair, age, fresh injury, and by now a good bit of anxt setting in, I miss the chair landing straight on the floor looking up at the monitor like a small child with butt cheeks getting ready to turn a blueish color for a few days.

My language has drawn a particularly unfriendly crowd to the doorway .... never mind I about came through the floor to the room downstairs below me after dislocating a toe (immediately set when I grabbed it) ... let's just address the language issue that is now getting out of hand ... even by my standards .... the crowd marches off ... Good!

Meanwhile ... turned off the Lear ... caught the plane that had somehow gotten dangerously close to the hard ceiling turning it nose down and switching tanks for an engine restart .... power back up and re trim ... engage Lear and try to figure where I am as the course I was on is a memory.

Lost .... now I get oriented and find a valley I hadn't seen in planning that took me south and west of the airport .... careful wide left hand into RWY 1.

Hope you guys have had the fun that I have ...

All finished ... mission complete ... I'll collect my pay and settle in ... waiting to hear what adventure will get me back to Curacao and on my way home.

Excellent Event! ... One of my favorite parts of the planet in one of my favorite aircraft ... able to participate in an event that "somebody else" put together and managed (icing on the cake).

I've put a few events together myself and know first hand what it takes of everyone involved .... you guys did a wonderful job ... I appreciate it ... had a ball!

Landed: SASA

Distance: 235.5

Fuel Used: 792.9

Flight Time: 01:27:09

Maintenance: 0

Total Airports Serviced: 27

Total Cargo: 162,000

Total Fuel: 12687.8

Total Flight Time: 22:26:31

Total Maintenance: 0

Posted totals are of course subject to review and edit by the General Manager of Andean Airways.

Good Luck All!

Attachment 42722Attachment 42721Attachment 42720

http://fs-duenna.com/flights/ShowFli...RRsfdbyHwm8eO4
    salt_air

Quote Originally Posted by teson1 View Post
    Austin,
    all the best for this last leg of a long trip done with style.
    It was a pleasure following allong your flights, and learn a thing or two about flying the DC-3.
    Hats off to the Pelican. :salute:

Roger on that Gunter!

Get your bags packed brotha ... we got some hikin' to do pretty soon to get back to Curacao.

Thanks mate!
    salt_air

Wooo Hoooo

Outstanding Austin!

:salute: btw

Congratulations Austin. Your narratives have been engaging and truly entertaining. What wonderful cargo manifests. Every post became a "must read." The last story, in particular, had me on the edge of my seat wondering what would happen on the final dramatic leg. Nice save. (You mention the exercise of a certain colorful vocabulary, and the unappreciative reaction of the local observers. How truly familiar is that scene. Not everyone understands. We surely do.) Bravissimo!
    -Mike

Charter Member 2014
    Absolutely fantastic to follow progress and great commentary all the way . One perfect DC-3 at Salta , A great achievement . Still desperately trying to re-skin the belly fuselage on the C-54 . At least the bare-metal finish should be nicely weathered by the time I return it to london

The organisers have certainly produced probably the finest event yet .

First rate Austin . Congrats
    Bry
    Team Avsim RTWR

Congrats Salt. One hell of a flight.

Excellent run, Austin!!

:ernae:
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Great flight my friend, just sorry I didn't get to fly along with you. Well done!
    Mick (G-ACFC)
    PPL(A)

Found more work ...

First off I'd like to say thanks to this great group of well respected pilots for these fine closing acknowledgements.

Secondly ... there's no rest for the weary and I have found more work

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showth...54#post1601754

"Spooky" to me as to how my "Solo Flight" around the world has been able to incorporate (with a tad of imagination) three free standing events that just happened to be be in it's path.

Hope to finish as close to Labor Day as possible ... just shy of the anniversary date of 10 Aug 2011.

Cheers,
    salt_air

SOH-CM-2017

Congrats on a great run and very entertaining commentary. Most economical with the avgas too. I am sure Miss Nellie appreciates that.

Jeff
    "Providence Permittin"

Reread your story Austin. You should write a novel. :mixedsmi:

You guys are too kind! ... all of you.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

We each had our own hurdles to get over ... some a little more than others.

It's all of the parts that make up the whole (group) and what a great group it is.

Everyone that came out did a fantastic job in their own right.

salt_air

Great run Salt!
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Thanks Willy!

Finding my way back to Curacao ... wasn't sure about making additional posts beyond the event and it will eventually tie into me finishing up a flight around the world that's about a year old now.... ... so I'll pile them up on this thread:

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showth...37#post1603637

Hoping to "pick up" some stragglers along the way, but if not then my co-pilot Sally should keep things interesting.

Awesome event ... now back to work!
    salt_air