Someone to model a building for me
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Someone to model a building for me

Someone to model a building for me

I considered posting this in the Designers area, although I thought it would get better exposure here considering this is the mainstay of grazing for members.

I don't know the first things about modeling, though I'm wanting a hanger modeled so I can personalize my scenery a little. Basically I want a hanger that reflects what I do for flight sim. Painting. I want to do a virtual "OleBoys Paintshop" where I can display progress and finished schemes in front of my virtual shop.

Is there possibly anyone who might have any free time that could do this for me?

I created a hanger scenery some years ago that would likely suit your purposes quite nicely. Not only can you open close the door with a specific NAV2 frequency, but I've provided the tools and instructions for you to place it anywhere you like.

You can also easily "repaint" the signs for both the hanger and the small "office" that's part of the package.

Eaglesoft Hanger Scenery by Bill Leaming
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations
    http://milviz.com

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by n4gix View Post
    I created a hanger scenery some years ago that would likely suit your purposes quite nicely. Not only can you open close the door with a specific NAV2 frequency, but I've provided the tools and instructions for you to place it anywhere you like.

You can also easily "repaint" the signs for both the hanger and the small "office" that's part of the package.

I have that scenery Bill, had it for a long time but never considered modifying it for personal use since I assumed that was a no-no, lol.:salute:
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Oh my no! Feel free to paint it pink if you wish. You could also replace that tacky corrugated metal roof and side it with something else such as wood cladding if you like...
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

Thanks for sharing this, Bill. I'll surely have a look. But this is kind of new territory for me.

I sent you a pm

Quote Originally Posted by OleBoy View Post
    Is there possibly anyone who might have any free time that could do this for me?

I dunno much about 3D modeling and my artistic skills are limited, but if you need an airport for all those planes I can handle that task. Looked up and KOBA is available for Ole Boy's Airport.

Maybe I can work out a repaint in trade? :ernae:

Meshman, I'm always in for trading. And an airport sounds like a good idea! KOBA I like it!!

Only thing is, I really want a hanger with all the amenities, as a base starting point anyway.

By the way, pm me with your thoughts, repaint-wise

This is the direction I'm thinking. Made with Sketch Up. I don't even know if it will work in FSX, but I'm having fun!! And gutters too boot!! Only thing, I haven't figured out how to cut the doors out yet.

I spoke too soon. Door is cut!

And framed. Window too

Charter Member 2010
    Blog Entries
    I am actually building my own airport now.. Really an island off the Carribean. Taking a real private island with airport, and expanding the runway to handle the type of planes I have, adding navaids and such. Still haven't figured out personal buildings, but think I will put Bills hangar to use! Lots of good stuff on www.fsdeveloper.com if you need tutorials though. Hangar looks good with your sign on it though!
    Steve
    FSX Hours: 3000+

Dang, it's about done already. But is it somehow usable as a model for FSX?
    Answer= Yes

I guess I'm on my own to get it there. Of which I will figure out :salute:

Dang, it's about done already. But is it somehow usable as a model for FSX?
    Answer= Yes

Dang, that looks just like what I was going to make...

You can take the Sketchup work and run it through Arno's Model Converter X and Bingo, Bongo, you'll get a FSX compatible MDL file, complete with proper textures. IIRC, Sketchup uses JPGs and Arno's tool converts those to DDS files. MCX will also cull out the wayward vertices and ploys that *might* affect performance.

Either by making an object library BGL or using a placement tool or direct XML coding will allow you to place "your modeling work" (nice ring to it, eh?) wherever you want in FSX.

You'll find the Model Converter X forum at FS Developer, which has download links and the sorts; http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87

Thanks Meshman. I appreciate your response. For the amount of views, Concerning Sketch-Up, Yours is appreciated.

I already tried to export it. That went fine. But, I accidentally deleted the file in the wrong format which basically deleted the hanger without a back-up!!

Now I have to make it again :mixedsmi:

Quote Originally Posted by Meshman View Post

You'll find the Model Converter X forum at FS Developer, which has download links and the sorts; http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87
    Looks like their site has a case of the hiccups (database error)

Yup, saw a posting by Arno about some problems last night. Things appear to be A-OK this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadburner440 View Post
    I am actually building my own airport now.. Really an island off the Carribean. Taking a real private island with airport, and expanding the runway to handle the type of planes I have, adding navaids and such. Still haven't figured out personal buildings, but think I will put Bills hangar to use! Lots of good stuff on www.fsdeveloper.com if you need tutorials though. Hangar looks good with your sign on it though!
    For those who might want it, I've placed the "Paintkit" (layered psd files) here for download:

http://n4gix.home.comcast.net/~n4gix..._templates.zip
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations

Thanks Meshman. I appreciate your response. For the amount of views, Concerning Sketch-Up, Yours is appreciated.

I already tried to export it. That went fine. But, I accidentally deleted the file in the wrong format which basically deleted the hanger without a back-up!!

Now I have to make it again :mixedsmi:
    GSU is an excellent "starter program" and in combination with Arno's MCX program works quite well.

Unfortunately, scenery models in FSX format cannot have user controlled animations, which is one reason I've never bothered to recompile my hanger kit to FSX format.

Of course, ambient animations are supported (what was tick18_ in FS9), so I do have revolving ceiling fans in my 33MO private airport still under development.
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations

GSU is an excellent "starter program" and in combination with Arno's MCX program works quite well.

Unfortunately, scenery models in FSX format cannot have user controlled animations, which is one reason I've never bothered to recompile my hanger kit to FSX format.

Of course, ambient animations are supported (what was tick18_ in FS9), so I do have revolving ceiling fans in my 33MO private airport still under development.
    Revolving ceiling fans!!! NEAT!!!

Regards,
    Robert

This hanger works in FSX?

Dang, don't jump yet Rob. I'm in the midst of finalizing the interior now. Office, benches, shelving, upright posts, etc.. I redid it to scale on an 80'x80' asphalt slab. Building is 48' X 36' Deep.

It will have 16 sky lights in the main roof structure, and 6 in the lower roof.

I fancy myself a pretty creative person with 25 years as a commercial artist for several Advertising Agencies, but even in Sketchup I can't get past making a box, let alone anything that complex. That's amazing stuff, especially since you just advertised for someone to do it for you.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

I think it's safe to return to my regularly scheduled project
    That looks great!
    Regards,
    Robert

I think it's safe to return to my regularly scheduled project
    That looks great!
    Thanks Rob. I respect, and thank you for that. As you know, I'm a picky ole SOB.

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    I fancy myself a pretty creative person with 25 years as a commercial artist for several Advertising Agencies, but even in Sketchup I can't get past making a box, let alone anything that complex. That's amazing stuff, especially since you just advertised for someone to do it for you.

I've got the drive, and the ability to do many things. Mainly, I lack patience. I'm a, "I want it now" type. People think I'm a real prxxk because of it most of the time. If I had the patience to really get to learn modeling for FSX, I know I would do very well. I have Gmax, and FSDS. Have had them for quite some time. I just hate the learning curve it takes to learn it. That's where my "I want it now" phrase wins in most cases and I give up.

Somethings always urked me about this hobby. There are a select few in this hobby that help me along my way. Those people, I am very thankful for what they've shared. Others don't like to share knowledge. Those are the speed bumps in my path. As they read my posts, and offer nothing. So, I am forced to learn for myself. Of which, everything I know, or learn, I'll share for the better of the hobby.

Blog Entries
    patience is a skill thats learned.. I've always stuggled with it yself..
    Awesome looking building.. I could live in a place like that..
    Pam

OleBoy, I've made many buildings with sketchup, even more complicated objects and imported them to FSX using Arno's ModelconverterX. Like this gate-guardian F-84:

And most of the stuff in this picture:

I find sketchup very intuitive and I think you can do lots of stuff with it for FSX.

Your hangar looks great!

If you have any trouble converting it and compiling it let me know, I'd be glad to help.

Quote Originally Posted by skyhawka4m View Post
    This hanger works in FSX?
    Yes. It works just fine!
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations