Alphasim Lightning FSX upgrade
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alphasim Lightning FSX upgrade

I am a complete novice but i would love to upgrade my Alphasim Lightnings, I would appreciate any help and suggestions to point me to tutorials on extracting the Cab files to get the Gauges to work.
    I have all the F1 lightnings and the Trainers showing fine, I am haveing trouble with the F2, F3 and F6 texture convertion.
    As for the Cab file extracton for all gauges three options are given, the easiest for me would be to put the cab files in the panel folders and create a directory, then amend the panel cfg, i am not sure how to do this, I would appreciate any advice.

Yeah I am getting into a right mucking fuddle with this too. Haven't managed to get it working at all, my apologies in advance, for my following statement, to those who spent their time & efforts to make the upgrades but the instructions are far from straight forward to a novice or old timer like myself.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Alphasim Lightning Upgrade

Attachment 39394Attachment 39395

The story so far, I have the F1s i have all Gauges but all gauges are not working, same with all trainers, the upgrade readme also said that patience is also required, I am willing to give this challenge my full attention, but as I said before any advice would be welcome.
    How far have you got Checksix !
    I dont, suppose we are the only ones haveing trouble

Yep same here. What we need is a simple upgrade in the form of modified folders that we can easily substitute. So far no luck and the thread is now so long and complex I've lost sight of what I'm trying to achieve.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CavOk View Post
    Yep same here. What we need is a simple upgrade in the form of modified folders that we can easily substitute. So far no luck and the thread is now so long and complex I've lost sight of what I'm trying to achieve.
    Yes, I agree, an idiots guide would be much appreciated!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
    Ian. <o></o>
    <o></o>

Attachment 39400Attachment 39401

Join the club gents, 4 of us so far there must be more, there are some very clever people on this forum but there must be more than 4 wrestling with this upgrade, the frustrating thing is that I am nearly there the shots show my T5 and I am doing an ILS landing in the F1, great models , I really would like to get my head round upgrade.
    I have tried to follow the thread on EE lightnings confusing, at the begining one of the members sends a zip file of the Panel cfg, I have downloaded the file and my system will not open it as it is corrupt, the sender then posts that the file should be renamed to panel cfg removing the zip, for the life of me I cannot rename this file, does anyone know what is going on.
    I would be very grateful to receive any comments.

This is one of the reasons why I'm holding off on buying the AS Lightning. I would buy it if there was a concise "idiot's guide to make the AS Lightning work in FSX" published somewhere or at least an all inclusive download pack.
    Visit my website www.scale-aviation.com

Alphasim Lightning upgrade

Done that, been there, the thread of the topic is so long and confusing, it is no help,again I ask the question in answer to the instruction on one of the threads, how do you change the name on a ZIP file ?

Quote Originally Posted by sammach View Post
    Done that, been there, the thread of the topic is so long and confusing, it is no help,again I ask the question in answer to the instruction on one of the threads, how do you change the name on a ZIP file ?
    Right click -> Rename normally does it for me.

Thanks for your reply, I agree, however in the case in question, the file is invalid when you try to open it , the senders fix for this is to change the file to panel.cfg wereas when he sent the file it was called panel.cfg zip his comments were, " just remove the zip and it will be fine "
    I will try to get a message to the Forum Member in question

Rename to panel.cfg by deleting .zip the icon should change and you have a panel.cfg which can be opened and edited with notepad.

It is not a zip file which is why it says it is corrupt, .zip is a extension acceptable for upload here, it could have been .txt or one of the other acceptable extensions

Thanks Rich, I have it, I learn something every day computers and Flightsim, facinating for an old guy like myself, thank you for your time and interest I will give the cfg. file a try later today i have to tear myself away from the PC and get on with other things.
    I will update, for anyone interested

You are 3 years younger than me.

Alphasim Lightning upgrade

yes, I did notice, I was 3 years younger, I am however a late developer in Fltsim and PC's haveing been mechanical all my life and only owning a PC since I retired.

By the way, that panel.cfg did not work on my models, thanks for the short tutorial, now I know.

back to the drawing board

I am a complete novice but i would love to upgrade my Alphasim Lightnings, I would appreciate any help and suggestions to point me to tutorials on extracting the Cab files to get the Gauges to work.
    I have all the F1 lightnings and the Trainers showing fine, I am haveing trouble with the F2, F3 and F6 texture convertion.
    As for the Cab file extracton for all gauges three options are given, the easiest for me would be to put the cab files in the panel folders and create a directory, then amend the panel cfg, i am not sure how to do this, I would appreciate any advice.
    Hi sammach,

I have just read this thread.

First of all - we should all hugely applaud Henk and Chris for taking the time, effort and great skills to show how the 'old' Lightning might be put into FSX.

Anyway, if you can let me know which Lightning pack you are having a problem with - and exactly what problem you are having, then I will try to help you.

Cheers

Paul

Attachment 39589
    Hi Paul thanks for contacting me, I have been trying to find out what exactly I have done to cause a no show on 4 Gauges. Originally I had all gauges showing all gauges showing this is on all F1's, this after I unpacked EELightning(3).Cab, to a folder named EELightning(3)then replaced EElightning (3).Cab with the unzipped folder. Then I copied the contents of the portoverkit cabfolderto the EELightning(3) folder, overwrite files.
    I then placed the EELighning folder into the FSX Gauges folder.
    I used WinRAR to open the cab files.
    I have had my FS9 Alphasim Lightning download for some timebut as shown in previous posts I had a full show on all gauges.
    I agree with you about the authors of this upgrade, I thank them for giving me the opportunity to have these superb models on my sim. if it has seemed that I have whinging at these people I apologise and assure you this was not my attention by raising the topic. I have found the thread EELightnings and am in the process of trying to take in all this information and fixes that have been posted. this is the biggest task I have attemped since I became hooked on fltsim. I would be very grateful to any suggestions and pointers to any fixes.
    In the list requirements for this upgrade and I agree with author the most important is patience.
    By the way I have a full show of all gauges on theTrainers

Original Alphasim Lightning

Is the original Alphasim Lighting still available anywhere? I would like to get this bird in my FSX. Thanks

Alphasim Lightning is now sold by Virtavia, can be purchased from the Pilot Shop on the Flight Sim site . That si the FS9 Lighning that you need for the FSX upgrade

Attachment 39589
    Hi Paul thanks for contacting me, I have been trying to find out what exactly I have done to cause a no show on 4 Gauges. Originally I had all gauges showing all gauges showing this is on all F1's, this after I unpacked EELightning(3).Cab, to a folder named EELightning(3)then replaced EElightning (3).Cab with the unzipped folder. Then I copied the contents of the portoverkit cabfolderto the EELightning(3) folder, overwrite files.
    I then placed the EELighning folder into the FSX Gauges folder.
    I used WinRAR to open the cab files.
    I have had my FS9 Alphasim Lightning download for some timebut as shown in previous posts I had a full show on all gauges.
    I agree with you about the authors of this upgrade, I thank them for giving me the opportunity to have these superb models on my sim. if it has seemed that I have whinging at these people I apologise and assure you this was not my attention by raising the topic. I have found the thread EELightnings and am in the process of trying to take in all this information and fixes that have been posted. this is the biggest task I have attemped since I became hooked on fltsim. I would be very grateful to any suggestions and pointers to any fixes.
    In the list requirements for this upgrade and I agree with author the most important is patience.
    By the way I have a full show of all gauges on theTrainers
    No problem. I will have a look at this tomorrow for you.

Cheers

Paul

I have basically got everything working except for the F.1 model, it won't show. I converted the .mdl file as stated but model is still a no-show. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by paulb View Post
    No problem. I will have a look at this tomorrow for you.

Cheers

Paul
    OK, I have had a quick look.

I assume that you put Pack 1 into FSX and then used the Lightning Pack 1 FSX update - overwriting all files?

If so, then I assume that the F1 and the F1A are OK, but the panel issue is with the F2?

Can you confirm please before I look further.

Cheers

Paul

You wrote.

I assume that you put Pack 1 into FSX and then used the Lightning Pack 1 FSX update - overwriting all files?

yes, correct but the guage no show is on all models F1, F1A and F2, all textures and effects are OK

The trainers no problem

You wrote.

yes, correct but the guage no show is on all models F1, F1A and F2, all textures and effects are OK

The trainers no problem
    Hmmm................... I tried a fresh reinstall. The gauges were fine on the F1 and F1A for me, but a few were missing (as you suggested?) on the F2.

I don't really know why you are seeing something different. I am not sure what to suggest now. I assume that you have both pack 1 and pack 3 gauges (cab files) in your FSX gauges folder?

Attachment 39685

Done it! Many thanks Paul, I left out the Pack 1 Gauge cab. file, originally I had them in the gauges folder, thats why they all showed before, for some reaon don't ask why I removed them, I misunderstood the instructions.
    Please anyone reading this for the first time, both Pack 1 and Pack 3 cab.files must be fitted to get a full show of Gauges on the F1's and Trainers. I also have a full show on the F2.
    Thank you Paul for your time interest and above all patience I will now start doing afew queaks and check through the EELightning thread.
    Can I ask one more question, Paul can you suggest an Image converter or whatever to convert the F3 and F6 textures
    And again many thanks

Members who have read this thread: 1