Speaking of P-51's......

Thread: Speaking of P-51's......

Speaking of P-51's......

"The Friendly Ghost" ; )

That's a beautiful paint scheme.

Hopefully, we can also get John to do a postwar racing Mustangs pack, including Strega and the Galloping Ghost.

Maybe I shouldn't say anything, but it has been a goal of mine for quite some time now, to produce a pack of 1950's/1960's era Mustangs, done up with accurate tuck n' roll upholstery and two-tone civilian schemes, though I don't know how much of a reception there would be for them. There would certainly be an almost endless supply of schemes to choose from. There are some in the warbird community that wonder when we will see the day that it will become popular to paint Mustangs in those 50's/60's era schemes again.

And man, I would love to recreate Galloping Ghost!! What a sexy-aircraft that is, with no belly radiator, and chopped wings. The engine is run on a boil-off system for keeping it cool, and as the temps begin to pick up, it spews steam out of ports on the side of the aircraft, and it sounds like it is a very effective system too!

I'd be glad to see the TF-51 but also....a P-82 would be the shizznit :salute:

John, I'm not sure if you have seen it or not, but here is a video slide show of C&P Aviation's P-82, located here in Minnesota, which is under advanced restoration at this time, with the goal of having it flying by 2013. There is also another P-82 (an XP-82), under restoration to fly by 2013 as well, in Florida, however it is not nearly as far along yet at this stage, though they are making amazing progress as well.

These photos were taken shortly after the center section was finally mated with the two fuselages for the first time since restoration began.

http://www.vimeo.com/21704963

The only stumbling block that was in the way of both P-82's from completing restoration, was resolved late last year, with a well-known prop manufacturer, I believe in Germany, agreeing to reproduce the rare/extinct propeller blades for them. The reason for this is because on the P-82 they had a left-hand set and a right-hand set, and blades for the unconventional set simply cannot be found.

In 2013, both P-82 groups plan on getting their Twin-Mustangs to Oshkosh that summer, C&P's P-82 running Allisons, as originally, and the XP-82 running Merlins, as originally.

I have a very good friend and he was a crew cheif on the nightfighters and has some great stoies to tell. I hope he has the chance to see these planes fly. I still see him from time to time and will pass this along,.

great news..