Iris Raptor Available at Flightsim Store - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Iris Raptor Available at Flightsim Store

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    Weapons testing:

Bomb away!:

Ka-boom!:

:d
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Copyright © Bill Campbell is the creator of the Weird-ohs
    Good show! IIRC, didn't they dabble with a "stretched" version of this thing to be evaluated as a strike/bomber. Or was that a bunch of "Photo-shop" edits on the 'net?

Okay guys, my texture problem is solved, thanks to everyone who helped. SOOOOO...one more thing, afterburner. On my screen it does not appear conical as it does on the real bird. Is this just me? can it be elongated/made conical? Anyways, this is a very good aircraft, and if you are on the fence, don't be afraid to hop in.

JP, the issue was do we (IRIS) have 3D (Ie; move with nozzles, and don't look as good) or do we have Effects driven? eventually effects won out but is confined to the inner portion of the Petals on the rear end, this way they are still seen but due to effect limitations they do not travel beyond that, otherwise the effect would be seen THROUGH the petals if you pulled high alpha, therefore deflecting the Petals into the reheat stream so summed up..... they're confined to space as there is no way for effects to be deflected and therefore match the petal angles....

Quote Originally Posted by Agg View Post
    ........ Id love to be able to do a backflip with the Raptor, but Im not sure that its even possible in FSX. ................

The ALS-SIM Flanker does a pretty good job of doing this, a whole barrel of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferry_vO View Post
    Weapons testing:
    Great series of images. I especially like the JDAM's inside the fuselage bay. Alphasim hung them under the wings. Keeping it smooth on the outside is the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoothie View Post
    JP, the issue was do we (IRIS) have 3D (Ie; move with nozzles, and don't look as good) or do we have Effects driven? eventually effects won out but is confined to the inner portion of the Petals on the rear end, this way they are still seen but due to effect limitations they do not travel beyond that, otherwise the effect would be seen THROUGH the petals if you pulled high alpha, therefore deflecting the Petals into the reheat stream so summed up..... they're confined to space as there is no way for effects to be deflected and therefore match the petal angles....
    Moving the nozzles with the elevators (and increasing the elevator effectiveness appropriately) and keeping the effects inside the nozzle area was the approach Alphasim took. Still an awesome model five years down the road. This one also introduced the Thunderbirds scheme. Has anyone tried it in FSX? Should be able to get around that radar issue these days.

Attachment 35977

:ernae:

Quote Originally Posted by fsafranek View Post
    Great series of images. I especially like the JDAM's inside the fuselage bay. Alphasim hung them under the wings. Keeping it smooth on the outside is the way to go.

Moving the nozzles with the elevators (and increasing the elevator effectiveness appropriately) and keeping the effects inside the nozzle area was the approach Alphasim took. Still an awesome model five years down the road. This one also introduced the Thunderbirds scheme. Has anyone tried it in FSX? Should be able to get around that radar issue these days.

Attachment 35977

The afterburner effects could be attached to an attachpoint when modelling, I don't know if this has been tried at all, but if the attachpoint is a child part of an animated part the effects should swivel up and down on the animation.

I've joined this thread quite late, apologies if the Iris version does this already.

Maybe a personal preference but the whole point of stealthiness is to minimise protrusions - the forward fuselage of the Iris bird from the screenshots in this thread has some fairly large bump mapped panel lines - but on the real bird those deep panel lines are smooth and not visible except for changes in panel colour.

fsafranek, where can somebody find alphasim's F-22?, is it a FSX compatible model or it needs some changes in files?

The AS F-22 was an Fs9 model and is sadly no longer available.
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferry_vO View Post
    The AS F-22 was an Fs9 model and is sadly no longer available.
    Correct. Like all the other models by Carl Edwards, aka ninjamouse, it is not currently available.

Shame as he did some of my favourite aircraft: The B-2, F-117, PBY Catalina.. Guess there's some copyright issue?

SOH-CM-2023
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoothie View Post
    oh MS CAN do backflips, this was Pams FDE on the SU-33 which i then put into FS9 to test:

<IFRAME title="YouTube video player" height=390 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/AynAOmpBZBw" frameBorder=0 width=480 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

again i had to modify the elevator effectiveness to the point of non-control-ability but it 'sort of' can be done, i'll take a look at the .cfg later see if i can get her really twitchy on the pitch rate so only a feather touch is needed... only issue there is theres gonna be a lot of sim fatalities with you lot
    Perhaps it wuld be possible to have two FDE's? One for 'normal' flying and one for extreme maneuvres. It would be a pity if we end up with an unrealistically uncontrollable plane for 'normal' flight, which is 99% of the flight time.

I have some of the virtavia (ex-AS) products. Model-wise they're so good!!!. However there isn't a dedicated forum for supporting or even discusing them, whereas there are plenty on the market and they have a very good potential for improvements, or customer experience based updates/fixes.

There are also other fine product developers with the same lack of forums and a lot of posts between us is centered on these products.

I think that I have an idea that may work on this issue:

Is it possible/interesting for the developers and SOH to host such forums in SOH, like Avsim has ?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickshaker View Post
    Perhaps it wuld be possible to have two FDE's? One for 'normal' flying and one for extreme maneuvres. It would be a pity if we end up with an unrealistically uncontrollable plane for 'normal' flight, which is 99% of the flight time.
    Having two flight models would indeed be possible, but it wouldnt be real.. As is, the flight models using dynamic instability as a foundation are only capable of being half real. Until someone can simulate the computer controls to monitor and interpret joystick and power inputs and modify them into the actual flight itsself, your gona be stuck in this half real world.. Flight models deal only with lift thrust drag and yaw, and they take into account the physical properties of the plane. Thats all though.. As soon as you have computers added into the equation your looking at something completely different that has never been done before.. I was able to do the flight models or at least lay the foundation work for other dynamicists to work from, but i cannot script or program and never have been able too.. You'll find that often though. Numbers do not directly correlate to lines of code. I can take two variables in a flight model, and in changing them, watch how those changes effect the rest of the plane and make adjustments accordingly, but beyond writing a "hello world" program I'm lost when it comes to programming.. stick around though, the future holds promise..
    Pam

The alphasim F22 works great in FSX. The only thing I had to do was chamge the panel conf. VCcocpit from 1 to zero. The stock aircraft file will let you do a (think its called) negitive g push over. I later downloaded a new aircraft file ( don't remember where) that will allow you to do some what of a backflip. But that file is on a disk some where in 1 of 10 boxes. But I might have to find it seeing I won't be getting the IRIS bird.

I am not normally a fan of modern stuff, but after reading this thread I am tempted! I have been looking at vids on YouTube of the astounding ROC after take off and the huge cloud of vapour produced around the aircraft, I remember AS fast jets had this effect, does this have it? If not, would someone be able to add it to this model (if you own an AS model with it, that is), like some folks have done with smoke!

Here are some good examples from YouTube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16ti9...eature=related

Has anyone been doing any cool flights with the new IRIS F-22?

It looks like a beauty in the screen shots.

What have people been doing with her? Is she a high-altitude cruise bird for long cross countries? Or have people been flying aerobatics? Anyone doing formation yet?

I have been flying the balls off it in every conceivable fashion. Airshow 'demos', x-country, etc...no MP yet, though. I am very glad i decided to drop the $$$ for it, as I wasn't going to initially. Wooooohhooo this thing is a ton of fun to toss around, and looks and sounds great. I can say if you have the means, and like modern jets, and like to have fun in FS from time to time, then you should purchase this.
    Matt

SOH-CM-2023
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by warchild View Post
    Having two flight models would indeed be possible, but it wouldnt be real.. As is, the flight models using dynamic instability as a foundation are only capable of being half real. Until someone can simulate the computer controls to monitor and interpret joystick and power inputs and modify them into the actual flight itsself, your gona be stuck in this half real world....
    Pam
    Pam., I get your piont. What I meant was: airfiles and cfg files that the user could choose from before starting FSX. I understand that what you are talking about is changing control laws in flight, is that right?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
    VRS Simulations, I think, computes some of the control logic outside of FSX, as I understand it. I suppose that means: sensing the control inputs in FSX, then compute control surface deflection outside of FSX and then inserting the result in FSX again. Would that make a – simplified – simulation of a fly-by-wire aircraft possible?

Blog Entries
    Actually, thinking back, We had this 747 pilot flying with us at UVA who was also qualified in the A-310 or 320 ( its been a while so i cant remember well ), and when feelthere came out with their first airbuses, she was surprised to find that they got the fly by wire aspect of it very close..
    What your suggesting would be easy, just create two folders n( one for realistic and the other for normal flying ) and make copies of your airfiles in each folder, then simply copy the model you wanted to fly into the main directory before flight.. For a cruise model, i recommend the super bug's dynamics.
    Pam

Blog Entries
    Oh Jesis Cody... Damn, you certainly know how to make a movie.. Thank you for those few minutes of sheer joy
    Pam

Quote Originally Posted by warchild View Post
    Oh Jesis Cody... Damn, you certainly know how to make a movie.. Thank you for those few minutes of sheer joy
    Pam
    Thank you very much Pam. This means a lot especially from you. I am getting very good responses to this video, which is always nice. I hope I can continue to make impressions.

Speechless... In fact the video adds value to the product