Iris Raptor Available at Flightsim Store - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Iris Raptor Available at Flightsim Store

be warned with them changes she's nearly twice as responsive so only a feather touch is needed for take-off and climbout, unless you want to display take off (I.e; be a lunatic like me )

Thanks Smoothie, that seems to be a lot more in tune with the real thing

On Another Planet
    Although I LOVE the F-22, and really really want one in FSX, I think I will hold off on this one. The combination of the high price and the unrealistic FDE is a turn-off for me. I just don't think you can do an F-22 justice without using Simconnect and an outside source.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Click my sig for my Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by FlameOut View Post
    Regarding the Night Vision Lighting there is a little bug-a-boo that I'm sure will be addressed in any future update. When I fly with this feature turned on...while in Preview Direct X mode... and I turn on the "console light switch" on the left hand side panel...the pilot's lower G-suit turns white showing that it is not compatible while in Preview Direct X mode. Turing off the console switch fixes the problem.
    I for one would not mind if the pilot's little legs got removed while "inside" the V.C. This could save us a few little polys. Is that ejection seat under his arse modeled?

Attachment 35854

...ha ha you missed me. No, that is not a SAM, but a passing little AI aircraft.

Attachment 35855

I'm sure there'll be a Tyndall repaint soonish by the great repainters.

My reason for purchasing this Raptor is that Smudge showed us all that he'll play hard ball when it comes to Christmas sales....I picked up a load of good stuff over at his shop. However, I had only just purchased the A-10 a little while before the "Great Sale". So I do not mind paying full price for this one. It's the only F-22 for FSX.
    How many of you out there got the great A-10 for only $5.00 ????

I am certain this is a nice simulation, but I paid full price for the A-10 only to have it go on sale for $5 a short while later. IRIS will NOT be getting my money for this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Rezabrya View Post
    Although I LOVE the F-22, and really really want one in FSX, I think I will hold off on this one. The combination of the high price and the unrealistic FDE is a turn-off for me. I just don't think you can do an F-22 justice without using Simconnect and an outside source.
    ...Unrealistic FDE?? Since you don't own the aircraft, and have never flown a real F-22, how can you make this assertion?
    Matt

On Another Planet
    Because I've seen it many times in airshows, and after seeing the demo video David made, I am confident it isn't accurate. I really don't think you can get it close using normal methods for creating FDE's. Also, they cut corners on the Afterburner which I don't like. It should be shooting out, AND have thrust vectoring.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Felixthreeone View Post
    ...Unrealistic FDE?? Since you don't own the aircraft, and have never flown a real F-22, how can you make this assertion?
    There are many videos from airshows on the web that show the special flight dynamics of the F-22 Raptor using its Thrust vectoring, for example this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_Q6Vb9xJM0

You can not fly like that with IRIS F-22, if you can please make a video and upload it to youtube.
    Thank you.
    :salute:

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    Since FsX can't recreate thrust vectoring, extreme high AoA or zero airspeed doing a flight model for the Raptor will always be a compromise.. IMHO IRIS did it pretty well!
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

On Another Planet
    I think FSX could recreate it but I don't think Iris has the skills or resources to do it. I do think Iris did a good job doing what they could, but there is no point buying it if it isn't accurate. Also the high price tag! I may pick it up if it ever goes on sale (along with the A-10 since I missed the last sale).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The simplified way FsX models jet engines and flightlimits no fighterjet is 100% accurate! This isn't just something IRIS 'can't do', but NO company managed to get the extreme limits of aircraft right in FsX. Know any aircraft that can do a perfect tailslide without losing control?
    As for the pricetag: Well it seems we Europeans are on the good side of the exchange rate this time!

Matt: I've just tried your config and it turns much better now. A 9G turn at 400 kts is now possible and it's not too nervous to fly.
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

FS2004 is the only sim so far i've been able to Kulbit an aircraft, and that was an SU-37... as for F-22 i'm just about to fly a sortie and see if i can FSrecorder a file for all you Raptor owners to sit back and enjoy the IRIS demo pilot :salute:

glad thats working for you Ferry.... i enjoy my fighters to be a bit on the manouverable side....

Adding to the FDE discussion, I have had 4th gen fighter in Fs8,9, and X that have a flight envelope closer to the F-22 than the IRIS bird. That being said, they are working on a 'patch', so we'll have to wait and see. I'm sure David can work some magic :salute:

ok guys for those of you who own the Raptor and want to sit back and watch a demo.... here you go an FSrecorder file just throwing the Raptor about at LGTG (Tanagra AB, Greece), don't worry this isn't my actual demo, i keep that for show days

Still having fun... :mixedsmi:

45,000 Feet over Hawaii..

Have not picked this one up yet, but I'm sure it flies great. I'm not sure it is realistic to expect FSX to replicate the entire flight-envelope of the F-22. Being able to pull 9Gs with thrust vectoring and be smooth and stable in formation are not really compatible in this sim.

I'm sure the real F-22 has more lines of code in its flight computer than the entire FSX game does. Lockheed Martin will always produce a better aircraft than anything we can get in FSX...... but I'm confident this will be a fun one to fly.

I'm looking forward to picking it up when I have the funds; I flew Lockheed Martin's F-22 demonstrator at their offices in Crystal City for about an hour, and I would be interested to see the similarities and differences with IRIS' flight dynamics.

Cheers,

Chris

David aka Smudge,

Great job on this beauty! I have to say I was on the fence initially, but am elated to have finally purchased her. I am a bit bummed that there are no weapons of any sort to display. I saw on the FSS site the weapons bays open with a nice bivvy of AMRAAMs hanging out! It looked so sinister. Are there plans to relase an update with weapons attached, such as the AMRAAMs and some external tanks? I had to refuel twice on my flight to Hawaii from McChord Field. Also, in the manual, there are mention of inop buttons for future expansion, anything in particular?

Matt

Matt,

the weapons are there you have to edit the station weights in the aircraft fuel and payload window... set station 2 to 2390lbs to get ordnance to appear in the Air to Air config. 5050lbs for A2G load. station 3 set to 1000lbs gives you 'training load' which is 2 wing tanks, 4000lbs gets you ferry load and 3340lbs gives you ER CAP load.... hope that helps.

EDIT; oh and 5000lbs gives dynamic load to be uses with droppable ordnance, it's all in the manual, section 8 - Normal Procedures

Blog Entries
    Skyblazer. you pit the right dynamicist behind the calculator, and the right programmer behind the coding, and there isnt anything you cant do with FSX. O'm not curtain of the raptors ability to do flat spins using its thrust alone as it only has 2D vectoring ( which doesnt point sideways ) but i do know that with the right level of insanity, the raptor could be very real indeed..

Yeah, its still not quite there, but it is a lot better with Smoothie's tweaks than it was before. Id love to be able to do a backflip with the Raptor, but Im not sure that its even possible in FSX. Is there any way to edit how the aircraft behaves during a stall? Im almost able to do a backflip, but when the aircraft goes into a stall it all goes haywire, and bounce all around the sky.

That's a typical Ms Fs quirk unfortunately..

oh MS CAN do backflips, this was Pams FDE on the SU-33 which i then put into FS9 to test:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/AynAOmpBZBw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

again i had to modify the elevator effectiveness to the point of non-control-ability but it 'sort of' can be done, i'll take a look at the .cfg later see if i can get her really twitchy on the pitch rate so only a feather touch is needed... only issue there is theres gonna be a lot of sim fatalities with you lot

Yes, that's pretty much what Im looking for

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Agg View Post
    Yeah, its still not quite there, but it is a lot better with Smoothie's tweaks than it was before. Id love to be able to do a backflip with the Raptor, but Im not sure that its even possible in FSX. Is there any way to edit how the aircraft behaves during a stall? Im almost able to do a backflip, but when the aircraft goes into a stall it all goes haywire, and bounce all around the sky.
    Its Possible, but ( big but ) its extremely difficult as it incorporates a whole different approach to flight physics ( called Dynamic instability ( which is a meteorological term )) wherein the CG in non stationary ( but stays within a broad limitation of range ), the Center if Lift is totally non stationary, and in FSX, the controls compensate for the lack of vectored thrust. My SU-37 backflips ( Ask Smoothie ). The problem is though, Iris, ( like most payware developers ) works according to a schedule, and when your making minute adjustments across several parameters, it can take a very very long time.. Its just not something that can be done in a normal production environment at this time..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sd2weQFRBYw

Pam

EDIT:: ::LOL:: Ya beat me too it Bro ... Nice video

Blog Entries
    Smoothie points out a very good point ( for lack of a better term ) when he says there'll be a lot of fatalities. The real F-22 and the real Sukhoi's have at least three computers each, augmenting the pilots input. Still, these aircraft are quite difficult to fly in real life. In FSx, the difficulty rises to a whole new level as there is no augmentation.

Quote Originally Posted by warchild View Post
    Smoothie points out a very good point
    wait?! me? good point?....and the apocalypse draws nearer as a result