'Shooting the Duck' - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 'Shooting the Duck'

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    I've seen the texture mapping for both. They're not anywhere near the same. They're so far off that one takes one bitmap for exterior textures, the other takes three bitmaps to cover the exterior.
    In that regard, case closed, those that 'bend' meshes with third party after tools are generally lazy...if they were not then they'd build their own...and remapping takes one hell of a lot of effort, on top of any mesh alterations. Too much work for scent throwing efforts IMHO.

Kindest

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    I've seen the texture mapping for both. They're not anywhere near the same. They're so far off that one takes one bitmap for exterior textures, the other takes three bitmaps to cover the exterior.
    This is great to hear!!! Now, can we have the topics re-enstated along with the file libraries files related to this? I was looking forward to getting this new freeware quacker.

I think the mods have to say what Michael is saying for that to happen

meanwhile - all around the boat

might as well trap

hard to do without striking the main float towards the nose - but it can be done
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by heywooood View Post
    I think the mods have to say what Michael is saying for that to happen

meanwhile - all around the boat

might as well trap

hard to do without striking the main float towards the nose - but it can be done
    Thats called "flying" Sandman.. Nice work..

Love those pics Heywood, full of atmosphere - metaphoric and simulated !

I really want this bird...errr Duck. She looks amazing and really looks like fun to fly. I hope the links are put up soon. Great pics Heywooood. She sure is purtty

Remember guys, in order to get the plane back on the Avsimrus.com website (which is the only place that I am aware it was released), it is going to have to take the cooperation of SWingman to re-upload the plane, and Avsimrus.com to understand the circumstances that led up to them being told to remove it by Icarus.

As I have stated, I have already sent an e-mail off to SWingman, to hopefully get him to re-upload the aircraft to Avsimrus (and also urging him to contact them in reference to the comparison/quick conclusion reached here), or if not on Avsimrus, perhaps elsewhere. I have however not yet received a reply.

I hope it passes too as I will hate to delete it should the impossible be true...

I will not keep it if it was taken from Icarus in any way.

I have to say though, I wouldn't be posting screenshots of it if I thought there was a whisker of a chance that it isn't bona fide
    enter..the Sandman

Based only on my quick comparison that I posted in the other thread (How Are These One in the Same?), it was already plain as day to see they are two completely different builds. Willy's confirmation that the two have no texture-mapping in common, only seals that conclusion (thank you Willy!).

To fully understand just how much work, or 'rework' would have needed to occur, to transfer from the Icarus production to the freeware production - there is just no way that happened. Even if you study the lines of the bottom of the main float, or even the vertical tail fin, perhaps the easiest parts to 'get away with', the amount of faces/splines/what-have-you, are completely different, and make two different shapes between the two, one depicting the original design in higher fidelity above the other. No aspects of the modeled mesh nor the textured mesh have anything in common at all.

this is good news - now hopefully Swingman will return to Avsim.ru and we can all enjoy this nice roasted Duck...
    enter..the Sandman

Bomber_12th is correct in that the gear sounds of the F4F Wildcat would be totally appropriate for the Grumman Duck. They both had hand cranked, gear and chain driven landing gear set ups. No hydraulic rams on these birds to extend and retract the gear. The pilot had to hand crank them up and down.

Which is why I used the gear extension and extraction sound files from Lawdog's F4F sound pack when I created the Grumman Duck sound pack...which is safely resting in the FS2004 Sounds library right now.

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

thank you for those and the other files you provided OBIO - much appreciated
    enter..the Sandman

Doubtless and irrespective of the outcome of the investigation, it will appear on a certain planetary website in time......
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Has a final determination been made by SOH staff regarding the accusations?

Provided the outcome shows no conflict between the two models, and in advance of that happening:

OBIO,
    were the flight model tweaks ever completed?

Yes Nice pics....Great "QUACK,QUACK,QUACK"......So to is ROBH's fine MUSTANG!..
    This RAUCH MUSTANG is a ZOOOMER BOOOMER also!...Cheers1

When you are young and foolish, speed and flash may seem a good thing....
    When you get older and smarter, dull and comfortable doesn't seem so bad!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    Based only on my quick comparison that I posted in the other thread (How Are These One in the Same?), it was already plain as day to see they are two completely different builds. Willy's confirmation that the two have no texture-mapping in common, only seals that conclusion (thank you Willy!).

To fully understand just how much work, or 'rework' would have needed to occur, to transfer from the Icarus production to the freeware production - there is just no way that happened. Even if you study the lines of the bottom of the main float, or even the vertical tail fin, perhaps the easiest parts to 'get away with', the amount of faces/splines/what-have-you, are completely different, and make two different shapes between the two, one depicting the original design in higher fidelity above the other. No aspects of the modeled mesh nor the textured mesh have anything in common at all.

Next thing will be Charmin TP accusing Scott paper of copying their Toilet tissue (white paper on a roll)or Firestone Tire makes a black round tire that Goodyear makes (black and round).
    I can take sugar and water and a little red food cloring and make humming bird juice
    so do the commerical people. Both attract hummingbirds but the one I made was free.
    Does the commerical brand have a right to tell me to stop making my own humming bird juice, I don't think so. Where does it end? In todays world, of "me first" it's all about those almight Benjamins.
    I tithe (three figures) every Sunday to my church and thank God for my job. I get that Sunday sermon from
    my Pastor on parables and being kind to my fellow man, come Monday morning, it's all about stepping on each other toes.
    Do ya follow the logic here?

AZ1USN

Originally Posted by Bomber_12th

Next thing will be Charmin TP accusing Scott paper of copying their Toilet tissue (white paper on a roll)or Firestone Tire makes a black round tire that Goodyear makes (black and round).
    I can take sugar and water and a little red food cloring and make humming bird juice
    so do the commerical people. Both attract hummingbirds but the one I made was free.
    Does the commerical brand have a right to tell me to stop making my own humming bird juice, I don't think so. Where does it end? In todays world, of "me first" it's all about those almight Benjamins.
    I tithe (three figures) every Sunday to my church and thank God for my job. I get that Sunday sermon from
    my Pastor on parables and being kind to my fellow man, come Monday morning, it's all about stepping on each other toes.
    Unfortunatly this is sort of like the OldWest quick draw showdown. You know the two cowboys stand out in the street and draw their guns, fastest draw wins. The problem here is ounce the trigger is squeezed, it's hard to stop the bullet, and the good guy isn't always the fastest, and in a lot of cases there is no clear good or bad guy. There was a thread here a short time ago that was discussing why developers have stopped coming here. Well there might be one clue right here. "You got a duck and I got a duck they both are white with feathers and both quack like a duck, Mother Nature says obviously you have both taken my duck design, the Lord steps in and says " Hey it was my duck first, I will just punish anyone who raises ducks." . Yes I for one follow your logic, I am waiting for someone from Grumman to chime in. :salute:
    T Square

The Load Toad

WEAPONS
    LOADER CREED
    We, the unwilling
    Led by the unknowing,
    Are doing the impossible,
    For the ungrateful.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ1USN View Post

nice try - but it would be more like Scott stealing Charmin off the line and repackaging it as Scott - or Goodyear renaming stolen Firestone tires...
    Same if you were to make your bird juice and slap an existing commercial label on it and sell it (or give it away) as your own.

no need to tell me of the hippocracy of organized religion...but to speak of it so snidely and yet pay your tithing and take your selfish, insincere comfort from it nonetheless is mildly nauseating....

I wonder if with that attitude you are more likely to step on throats than toes...

If we are going to draw property lines and build fences as a society - the we have to be ready to support that idea all the way, or not at all - cant have it both ways just to suit selfish wants
    enter..the Sandman

Quote Originally Posted by heywooood View Post
    no need to tell me of the hippocracy of organized religion...but to speak of it so snidely and yet pay your tithing and take your selfish, insincere comfort from it nonetheless is mildly nauseating....
    Nicely worded, a bit harsh, but true nevertheless!

I apologize for the harshness...I know no other way to express my profound disappointment in that kind of outlook.
    enter..the Sandman

Moderators/Administrators, as this thread is no where near the atmosphere and discussion I originally wanted it to be at the start - remember when I posted this thread, we still hadn't even had the accusation that everyone now knows about, and 'Shooting the Duck' simply meant 'Shooting Images'. Now the discussion has completely turned, started by a member 5 posts back that under the circumstances I now know about him, I have the least of respect for, I request that this thread is locked so that it can move down the wayside, as beyond anything, there is no real purpose for it anymore.

Request Granted