Libyan Mig 23 (I think) crashes in city

Thread: Libyan Mig 23 (I think) crashes in city

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hYzH3seLnU I think we have rehearsed enough, time to go now Go!! Mirages Go!!
    ----------------------------------------
    Good hunting lads!

Yep....that's a Mig 23!!

Here's a close up.

Cheers.

Unfortunately that was an Opposition Mig, not a Loyalist one. Also unfortunate is that you can clearly see in the last shot that the pilot punched out too late for his chute to open. Reports on Al Jazeera are that he died.

I certainly would not want to be a member of the Libyan Air Force , either in the air or on the ground . :salute: to the French who I believe the news said this morning are starting to fly missions over Libya .

Things should heat up this weekend. Too bad the UN dragged it's feet so long that the Opposition was pushed back from their gains but maybe they needed the situation to worsen so the resolution could be pushed through?

Quoting an email from a friend regarding where they can fly from: "The French and Italians can maybe fly from their home soil. The <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comffice:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on">US</st1:country-region> base on <st1lace w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Sigionella</st1:City>, <st1:State w:st="on">Sicily</st1:State></st1lace> is probably one of the main bases. Not to mention the Greek Air bases just a stone throw of the coast of <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1lace w:st="on">Libya</st1lace></st1:country-region>. And the Brits have RAF Akrotiri on <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1lace w:st="on">Cyprus."</st1lace></st1:country-region>
    <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1lace w:st="on"></st1lace></st1:country-region>:ernae:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>

Made in France

Fireworks

At that time U.N. forces are flying above Benghazi, it shouldn't be a "Milk run" because Lybian
    forces have some AA potential with quality Russian weapons and detection systems, as the AA rocket SA-6...

Some french Tv news :

http://www.bfmtv.com/video-infos-act...libye-1058883/

From a space-time breech.
    Free French Designer - Alain95
    North American planes addict

I see the Dassault Rafale units are now in action ... Mike

Made in France

Yeaaahh !

RAFALE : They are far from being the best in the world but I really Enjoy them, there is a Dassault factory few kilometers from my home.

http://www.bfmtv.com/

cheers

US begins assault against Libyan air defenses
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_us_lib...2xhdW5jaGVzbWk

Can we get an big happy/sad Libyan info sticky thread? Every time somthing happen there we have 2 or 3 thread about it. This way we could keep the fourm clean from multiple threads about the samne thing.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Blog Entries
    Wellll, the thing i question is that, even though this is breaking news, and even though aircraft are used is this really something that needs to be here at all?? I dont feel that war death dieing and politics belong on SOH.. We cant make whats happening in the outside world go away, but we can choose to focus on more relatively pertinent subjects.. Its the governments that are at war, not us, and I'd like to avoid that possibility.
    Pam

Besides the Rebel Mig-23 getting downed, there are other reports starting to surface of fratricide in air to ground strikes. No confirmation as of yet but time will bear out if this is true or not. This risk was warned of well before hand that it would be very difficult if not impossible to tell one side from another even with FAC air & ground assets in place and especially so this late in the game.

The biggest problem is that dislodging Gaddafi with airpower alone isn't going to happen. That will take a ground invasion of at least moderate size. Doing so in the midst of a civil war or worse, getting fully drawn into it is another possibility. History has clearly shown that most hasty response operations end badly whether in the near or long term. Caution being the key in all of this.
    "Soon to be Expat"

THere's been a bunch of talk on the news about the US possibly sending the F-22 into the region to enforce the no-fly zone. Probably unneccesary, since the Libyans can't muster a serious challenge to the Mirage 2000 much less a Rafale or Typhoon, but... man. If I were one of Qaddafi's fighter pilots with some of the best fighters in the world already after me and the ultimate airborne habringer of death thinking of coming my way too, I might be seriously thinking of finding someone to break my arms & legs about now...
    What military aircraft are you?

You are an EA-6B. You are sinister, preferring not to get into confrontations, but extract revenge through mind games and technological interference. You also love to make noise and couldn't care less about pollution.

With a bit of luck, at least a few allied pilots will be able to rise to ace status!!

Made in France

First french ace of the 21th century...

Quote Originally Posted by IanMCD View Post
    With a bit of luck, at least a few allied pilots will be able to rise to ace status!!
    Funny perspective Ian, I just hope there we will be no friendly fire...

Regards

Question

Quote Originally Posted by warchild View Post
    Wellll, the thing i question is that, even though this is breaking news, and even though aircraft are used is this really something that needs to be here at all?? I dont feel that war death dieing and politics belong on SOH.. We cant make whats happening in the outside world go away, but we can choose to focus on more relatively pertinent subjects.. Its the governments that are at war, not us, and I'd like to avoid that possibility.
    Pam
    I find this a strange comment on a predominantly military forum, really.

I was just looking through the threads and wondering why there wasn't more activity after 'we' have finally started acting as we should have some 2 weeks ago already...... But maybe you have to have had personal experience with being suppressed by a dictatorship to be able to get worked up over these sort of things.

Am I to understand that we are NOT to discuss these happenings here?
    Just curious... I'll continue to stick my opinions unabridged on Facebook and Twitter of course :salute:
    François A. 'Navman' Dumas
    Retired - FSAddon Publishing
    Umbria, Italy

https://fssupport.com/fsblog/

Quote Originally Posted by Lazerbrainz2k3 View Post
    THere's been a bunch of talk on the news about the US possibly sending the F-22 into the region to enforce the no-fly zone. Probably unneccesary, since the Libyans can't muster a serious challenge to the Mirage 2000 much less a Rafale or Typhoon, but... man. If I were one of Qaddafi's fighter pilots with some of the best fighters in the world already after me and the ultimate airborne habringer of death thinking of coming my way too, I might be seriously thinking of finding someone to break my arms & legs about now...
    Libya falls under the NATO umbrella of operations.
    And as things stand, I believe the UN have left any decisions too late, as usual.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Quote Originally Posted by Francois View Post
    Just curious... I'll continue to stick my opinions unabridged on Facebook and Twitter of course :salute:
    Francois, a topic like this can easily lead to heated discussion. I have been around long enough to remember what happened with Netwings after September 2001. I think nobody wants to have something similar happening here.

I don't know why but when people discuss a topic like this there is an tendency that an opinion suddenly becomes the truth for some people .

Therefore staff will be very present in threads like this and when the temperatures rises to an unhealthy level we will not hesitate to close the discussion.

Cheers,
    Huub

No worries, Huub, I was just wondering. So you are considering changing the name of the forum to Newsdoves maybe ?
    François A. 'Navman' Dumas
    Retired - FSAddon Publishing
    Umbria, Italy

https://fssupport.com/fsblog/

Made in France

Hello Huub

I trust in you to keep a good level of water in the pools, and to control the reactor cooling system.
    Just a little logo that says : Nuclear power ? no thanks

Attachment 33572
    Unfortunately the news are very hot this week...

Blog Entries
    after a lot of talk in the staff forum, it has been decided to lock this thread. Huub has it under control, but all it would take is a few postings when no-one is looking for this to get out of control.
    So far it has been neutral and peaceful and we want to keep SOH out of the shores of Tripoli.

sorry
    ickie
    Look What I Have Become!