Flying the Boeing B-29 Superfortress

Thread: Flying the Boeing B-29 Superfortress

Flying the Boeing B-29 Superfortress

Can anyone here Explain on how to get this plane off the runway.
    What is the secret on setting the settings and so-forth.

Hi John Pirnie,
    To which Boeing B-29 Superfortress are you refering? Is it one that is set up to for use in CFS2?

I ask because some FS versions have a payload weight built into their aircraft.cfg and if you then add a CFS2 payload the whole lot ends up too heavy to fly.

Assuming you have a plane that is designed to fly in CFS2. for a heavy you need a nice long runway, some flaps extended but not fully, you need to know what speed you need to be going before you pull back
    "............................................. .. V1................................................ ................. V2................................................ . Rotate "
    Be gentle Only pull back a little bit

Quote Originally Posted by simonu View Post
    Hi John Pirnie,
    To which Boeing B-29 Superfortress are you refering? Is it one that is set up to for use in CFS2?

I ask because some FS versions have a payload weight built into their aircraft.cfg and if you then add a CFS2 payload the whole lot ends up too heavy to fly.

Assuming you have a plane that is designed to fly in CFS2. for a heavy you need a nice long runway, some flaps extended but not fully, you need to know what speed you need to be going before you pull back
    "............................................. .. V1................................................ ................. V2................................................ . Rotate "
    Be gentle Only pull back a little bit

I am trying to fly the
    Boeing B-29 Superfortress pack for CFS2

Quote Originally Posted by John Pirnie View Post
    I am trying to fly the
    Boeing B-29 Superfortress pack for CFS2

The mission I am Trying use is [B29JapanRaid]

I'm affraid I will have to defur to an expert in the field as I can only offer very general advice on flying heavy bombers.

Library Staff
    Hi John,

Ghostrider made an update for his B-29 package entitled "Ghostrider's B-29 DP and CFG v1.1". It's in the same SOH section as the package. More take-off power is provided.

Kevin

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...52&linkid=2254

That's DP, CFG and AIR v1.1. You should use them. Read your readme file. Use your checklists. As KDriver stated, 1.1 has slightly more thrust for takeoff. v1.0 will take off too, but it's a little more of a near-run thing. Flying the B-29 has been described as follows: "Takeoff is a struggle for airspeed, flight is a struggle for altitude. But once you are speeding through the stratosphere higher and faster than anyone has ever flown before, in a warm, pressurized cabin in your shirtsleeves, with no oxygen mask, there's nothing like it."

You need a nice, long runway, like Maskrider's Marianas fields on Saipan, Tinian, and Guam, or Iwo Jima, you need 2-3 notches of flaps (10-15 degrees) depending on your loadout, nose trim slightly up, Mix full rich, be sure to spool up your engines to full MP - you'll get 48" Hg at sea level, and 2600 propeller RPM while holding your brakes, before starting your takeoff roll. Rotate at 115 MPH. Easy on the stick until you get some airspeed. Gradually clean flaps up at about 150 MPH. This will get you airborne with 8 tons of bombs and full fuel tanks, I promise. Keep your climb rate below about 500FPM until you're doing a couple of hundred knots, then you have some airspeed to play with.

This is the challenge and the fun of flying the heavies, hauling serious iron. You don't have the surplus thrust and maneuverability of a fighter you can pretty much throw all over the sky. It takes a little more skill to get and keep these babies in the air!
    Best Regards,
    Ghostrider
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostrider View Post
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...52&linkid=2254

That's DP, CFG and AIR v1.1. You should use them. Read your readme file. Use your checklists. As KDriver stated, 1.1 has slightly more thrust for takeoff. v1.0 will take off too, but it's a little more of a near-run thing. Flying the B-29 has been described as follows: "Takeoff is a struggle for airspeed, flight is a struggle for altitude. But once you are speeding through the stratosphere higher and faster than anyone has ever flown before, in a warm, pressurized cabin in your shirtsleeves, with no oxygen mask, there's nothing like it."

You need a nice, long runway, like Maskrider's Marianas fields on Saipan, Tinian, and Guam, or Iwo Jima, you need 2-3 notches of flaps (10-15 degrees) depending on your loadout, nose trim slightly up, Mix full rich, be sure to spool up your engines to full MP - you'll get 48" Hg at sea level, and 2600 propeller RPM while holding your brakes, before starting your takeoff roll. Rotate at 115 MPH. Easy on the stick until you get some airspeed. Gradually clean flaps up at about 150 MPH. This will get you airborne with 8 tons of bombs and full fuel tanks, I promise. Keep your climb rate below about 500FPM until you're doing a couple of hundred knots, then you have some airspeed to play with.

This is the challenge and the fun of flying the heavies, hauling serious iron. You don't have the surplus thrust and maneuverability of a fighter you can pretty much throw all over the sky. It takes a little more skill to get and keep these babies in the air!

Thank you very much, this will be much help.
    John

Any time!
    Best Regards,
    Ghostrider
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]