It was a long time ago that Ivan mentioned in passing the possibility of painting an entire aircraft then grafting the relevant sections for the final paint session.
I have sort of tried this but with the sections already cut.
If you take my Miles M20 that I uploaded today, the wing has a round roundel, something I found extremely difficult to master before I used this method. I used the 3-view drawing to help in this matter.
1) In AF99, work out how much of the drawing will be needed.
2) In Paint Shop Pro, cut that section from the drawing.
3) Paste as a new image.
4) remove all of the irrelevant detail, like external outline etc and extend the vertical lines to the edge of the drawing.
5) Mark the extremities of the roundel as a square also marking the inner circles as well.
6) Resize the drawing to 256 x 128 pixels.
7) check and redraw any lines altered by the resizing.
8) Save as a Bitmap
9) Open drawing in MS Paint and draw the roundels to the new extremities.
The rest is just plain sailing, Thanks Ivan, a chance remark has made my life a lot easier.