Configuration override file

Thread: Configuration override file

Angry Configuration override file

First of all, many thanks to the mods for their timely help!

I just recently installed cfs 3 after a long absence in playing. The game installed perfectly, I played it for a bit and shut it down. Two days later I went to play and I received a message stating my configuration override file was missing or corrupt and have not been able to play since.

In the last couple of days this is what I have done to try to fix the problem:

1. uninstalled newest drivers and rolled them back to a previous version - didn't help.
    2. uninstalled my anti-virus software - didn't help.
    3. installed the game on a second computer that I have in another room. game works perfectly on that computer. I copied all the configuration files from the working copy and pasted them into the application data folder, where I noticed they were missing on my computer, and instead of it saying the file was corrupt, it said the file was out of date. I updated the game to 3.1 and again I got the corrupted file message.

I am at my wits end! Can anyone help? I'm pretty sure its a graphic issue, but can't figure out how to fix it on my rig. My rig is running windows xp with a Nvidia 9800 GT card. the rig the game worked on is running windows xp with an Nvidia 8400 GT card. It is very inconvenient to have to switch computers to play because the other one is my wife's!

It's really driving me nuts because on first installation it worked perfectly on my rig!

Might be a stupid question, but did you run cfs3config on this new install?
    :USA-flag:

Whenever you change video drivers or anything associated, you MUST run cfs3config again. THe file generated references the drivers your video card uses.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ATTACK IN THE WEST
    MED AIRWAR

I've run the config file a bunch of times. It says it is configured and shows the name of the video card I'm using but I still get the same error when I start the game. I've also noticed that the configuration icon is grayed out, but it still works when I click it. I've even changed the settings manually and used the exit function to close it rather than the x. I've even tried it on the "safe settings" and I STILL can't run it. It just doesn't make any sense. when I first installed the game it ran perfectly without the update too!

Odd. Have you physically deleted the ConfigOverrides.xml file? If not, you might try. Theoretically it rewrites it whenever you run CFSconfig, but....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ATTACK IN THE WEST
    MED AIRWAR

Yep. I deleted the files and restarted and got the same problem. Still not working. I've actually moved on to IL-2 Stermovik 1946. The graphics are actually a little better, but I still prefer CFS3. I have OFF and MAW and I can't use those either. Sucks.

sorry, can't help on that one.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    www3.telus.net/murrdaka/

Did you close the CFS3Config via the little "x" in the upper right corner? If so, the config file wouldn't be created/saved.

Always close the CFS3CONFIG via "file" (in the upper left corner) and then "exit"

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by italflyer View Post
    Did you close the CFS3Config via the little "x" in the upper right corner? If so, the config file wouldn't be created/saved.

Always close the CFS3CONFIG via "file" (in the upper left corner) and then "exit"

Cheers
    Yep. Tried that twice.

You run it on XP?

Usually not a problem in XP, but do you have admin-rights when you run the config?

Edit:
    Just an idea (workaraound)

create a new Appdatafolder using multicfs3 and then re-run CFS3CONFIG.EXE