Embraer EMB120 Brasilia version 1.1 released

Thread: Embraer EMB120 Brasilia version 1.1 released

Blog Entries

Embraer EMB120 Brasilia version 1.1 released

As the title suggests.

The is a new complete aircraft upload and the previous installation should be removed before installing this one.

*FIXED*
    --------
    Landing light beams are now closer to the aircraft then the original release
    Normal (bump) maps has correct alpha channel
    Specular maps redone
    Adjusted contact points

*ADDED*
    ---------
    New Eagle Rotorcraft Simulations livery added
    New thumbnails
    Default Beechcraft KingAir 350 virtual cockpit and related textures added
    New camera views

Package has been uploaded to Simviation and our website. Enjoy:ernae:

I'm with the FAA and I'm here to help you.....................Now gimme a hug!

Appreciate your time and effort , cheers.

Aircanuck

Thanks. While browsing your site I noticed the Bell helicopter. Will you guys be doing a VC release with it too?
    FAA ZMP
    PPL ASEL

| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | EVGA GTX1080 Ti | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X |

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanbatc View Post
    Thanks. While browsing your site I noticed the Bell helicopter. Will you guys be doing a VC release with it too?
    Yep, I am the main guy behind the B222. Will be for FS2004 and FSX. We are concentrating on the 222A "VIP" version first, then we'll release expansion packs covering different interiors and other versions of the helicopter including the 222B, 222UT, 230 and 430. Airwolf is under heavy consideration at this point, we'll post an announcement on this version once we have made a decision.

I'm with the FAA and I'm here to help you.....................Now gimme a hug!

Interesting, thanks, and good luck!
    FAA ZMP
    PPL ASEL

| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | EVGA GTX1080 Ti | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X |

Looks great, thanks! Does anyone know if there is an ASA livery out there somewhere?

Darrell

Quote Originally Posted by hews500d View Post
    Looks great, thanks! Does anyone know if there is an ASA livery out there somewhere?

Darrell
    but of course...you have to remember this birdie was made for fs2004

see here ---> http://forum.avsim.net/topic/249277-...braer-emb-120/

ttfn

Pete

EMB120 with CRJ700 cockpit

Old thread I know... but...

In my perpetual quest of the perfect aircraft, I go back quite regularly to Eric Cantu's Embraer EMB120 (of course the FSX native version by Eagle Rotorcraft Simulations). Nice turboprop, not too fast, not too slow, repaints are plentiful, FPS are excellent. Perfect to fly around my photoreal or Orbx sceneries.

I think the default King Air cockpit is not quite right for this bird. And the original flight dynamics are a bit too choppy for my taste. So I swapped the FSX default Bombardier CRJ-700 VC, and for the flight dynamics, I'm using those of the Premier Aircraft EMB120 (for FSX too but not native). So my EMB120 is quite smooth now thanks to Bob May.

If you know how to swap a VC, don't forget to use RADitor to update the viewing radius of the EMB120.mdl file. For some strange reason, the CRJ700 VC disappears completly with the original radius of 11.74 meters. I changed it to 13 meters and that solved this bug.

The cockpit of a similar Embraer (the EMB145) is looking like this, so this CRJ700 VC swap is not completly bogus...

Too lazy to post the complete receipe, but it goes something like this:

Model.cfg file:
    Code:
    [models]
    normal=EMB120
    interior=..\..\..\airplanes\Bombardier_CRJ_700\model\Bombardier_CRJ_700_Interior
    All the texture.cfg files:
    Code:
    [fltsim]
    fallback.1=..\texture
    fallback.2=..\..\..\airplanes\Bombardier_CRJ_700\texture
    fallback.3=..\..\..\..\Scenery\Global\texture
    fallback.4=..\..\..\..\..\..\Scenery\Global\texture
    In the aircraft.cfg file adjust the eyepoint:
    Code:
    [Views]
    eyepoint = 39, -1.20, 415
    As for the panel.cfg... keep it simple:
    Code:
    [fltsim]
    alias=..\airplanes\Bombardier_CRJ_700\panel
    Credits:
    EMB120 by Erick Cantu and Eagle Rotorcraft Simulations
    KLM by Steve Drabek (flighsim)
    Air Caraibes by Samuel Berry (flighsim)
    Força Aérea Brasileira by Adriano Martoni (base pack)
    ASA by Daniel Halpern (avsim)
    Sceneries: NL2000, MegaScenery Hawaii & New York

Links:
    http://eaglerotorcraftsimulations.com/fsx_emb120.php
    http://www.premaircraft.com/EMB120/
    http://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?title=RADItor

I've been thinking about getting the payware ERJ-135/145 model...Wilco??... to mate the VC up with the Brasilia, because it's the same cockpit, just with a different EFIS package. The iris PC-9 has EFIS guages that are somewhat similiar to what the Brasilia had, so I'm thinking they should swap into the ERJ VC with no prob. Funny that you have a pic of ASA ship 257 in your screenies. I flew it many times back in the 1990's. Something else that's kind of funny, I flew the Brasilia for about 4.5 years, and I hated it. Now, I kind of like it...it's really weird how that works.

Good thread as I start to get into VC swaps with both native and port over aircraft, and recently, thanks to these forums, got more King Airs going. Looking at the -145 real pit, it looks like the LJ45 has more similar gauges as a baseline.

Bone, what exactly did you initially hate about the -120? What's your take on the default CRJ and any recommended mods for it?
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

I do a lot of FSX vc swaps but had not gone as far as subsituting a pure jet cockpit and controls into a turboprop aircraft. Looks mostly OK but functionally, what do you do about pitch and condition levers, for example? Operating these correctly with e.g., the spool lag etc. on landing is one of the reasons turboprops are challenging and fun in FS.
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Quote Originally Posted by Victory103 View Post
    What's your take on the default CRJ and any recommended mods for it?
    It's not very good. Very little in it works, and there are quite a few switches that were not modelled. Just off the top of my head, the electrical services sub panel on the overhead is missing a number of important things. You wouldn't be able to power the real thing up if those were missing. I've 'flown' the model only a handfull of times, and I really didn't have the feeling I was flying a CRJ at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Victory103 View Post
    Bone, what exactly did you initially hate about the -120?
    I didn't initially hate it, I hated it the whole time I flew it. It was a pain in the butt to fly. It flew like a dump truck with balled tires on ice....heavy on the controls with an unstable longitudinal axis. The story goes that a number of out of work Boeing engineers went down to Brasil and designed this thing for Embraer. It's built like a tank, no doubt, but the systems are ridiculously complex.

The flap system has inboard, mid, and outboard segments for each wing. The inboard segment has three panels that are fowler flap types, the mid segment is a single flap, and the outboard are two sub panels of fowler design. It's a small wing, but has six separate flap panels per wing. When you put the flaps down they come out incrementally and assymetrically. You could watch the flap extension on the overhead panel, because each flap panel had a light. It was a crazy thing to watch. Also, you had to put alot of effort into countering the assymetrey of the flap extension. The right side would extend a little, then the left side would extend a little, then the right side, then the left side, and on and on until they were down. Ridiculous. You had to constantly do a left-right-left-right-back-forward-left right-back forward with the controls. The complexity of the flap system caused failures all of the time. I've done more zero flap landings in the Brasilia than I can remember, and everyone I know who flew the Brasilia has had more zero flap landings than they can remember.

The hydraulic system had a 'blue' side and a 'green' side, and although they were separate systems, for some reason they connected up with each other in the park/emerg brake line. If you didn't put 200 pounds of pressure on the toe brakes before you set the park/emerg brake, then 'blue' fluid would purge into the 'green' system. It was the same type of hydraulic fluid, so it wasn't a problem with mixing fluids. But, the problem was that most people wouldn't push hard enough and the blue system was always going empty, and the green system was always too full. You couldn't call a mechanic everytime this happened, because it happened all the time, and at places where there weren't any mechanics. You'd get to the airport from the layover hotel and find a plane with low blue and overfull green. We had a system for reversing the flow from green side to blue side, and it could be done from the cockpit, but you had to have the engines running and it involved manipulating the toe brakes and park/emerg brakes...it was a pain.

The pressurization system is another example. There were multiple steps in setting it, and you had to set it for take-off, set it again for cruise over FL180, and set it again for the descent. If you were cruising below FL180, you had to set the barometric pressure on it everytime there was an altimeter barometric change.

These are just a FEW of the pain in the butt things. It probably doesn't sound like much to you, but keep in mind it's just a few out many many things that you need to keep on top of continuosly. They add up. Every system on the plane was overdone, and needed too much manual input.

And, then there was the the reduction gear box that was always having a problem because of excessive aircraft vibration, sometimes even causing the prop to go into beta during flight...NOT PRETTY.

Oh, and the seat. The seat was a medieval torture contraption, and seemed to conspire with the excessive vibration of the plane. Those who flew the Brasilia long term had back problems. It gave me a back problem. Our pilot union contract even had a provision in it for Brasilia pilots. If you were on the Brasilia, you got ten free Chiropractic visits a year.

Oh, and then there was the .....

Bone, all we have going out of Redding, CA to San Fransisco is the Embraer 120. I have flown on it for years. It is notorious for give passengers fits. One missed flight after another. Many of the cancelled flights have been for mechanical trouble. It is a pretty aircraft and I downloaded Eric's version just because it flies out of Redding.

One interesting flight occurred when I was quite a bit younger but I noticed the flight attendant, a pretty young woman, was looking very nervous. I was sitting in a first row seat and there were very few passengers on board. I asked her if she was ok. She replied the pilot has told me the flaps aren't working. I tried to calm her saying he was a professional and he would know what to do with the reverse engines etc. She said he wanted to proceed to San Fransisco because they had better crash equipment there.

With that I told her to come sit down next to me and when we were about to land I would put my arms around her. I said if we crashed I couldn't think of a better way to go. She loved that and actually sat next to me when we landed and held my hand.

Just a little story from a frequent 120 flier.
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

Quote Originally Posted by stovall View Post
    One interesting flight occurred when I was quite a bit younger but I noticed the flight attendant, a pretty young woman,
    Oh, they were all pretty at first, but not so much after doing time on the Brasilia. Lol. Every so often someone at my airline asks me how long I flew the Brasilia. I tell them I did a four and a half year sentence with hard labor.

The experience with the flap failure aged this woman for sure. She was really scared.
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    ...what do you do about pitch and condition levers, for example...
    Yes you're right, lots of levers and switches are missing... You can use the keyboard shorcuts though... I did this VC swap mostly for the good looks of the CRJ VC textures, and the dimensions seems ok. I looked hard but didn't find a nice freeware native FSX turboprop VC yet... Any suggestions?

I don't think the sources files for the default FSX CRJ700 interior are available, too bad. It could have been fun to ask a designer to update this VC a bit with the FSX SDK to simulate a real turboprop...

Another option is to go payware, like the VirtualCol Jetstream Super 31, the PMDG Beechcraft B1900, the Aerosoft Twin Otter... but this is not the right thread...

Agree there are no good native FSX (twin) prop-jet VCs. Am waiting for the Carenado C90, then will have something to work with.
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.