Dangerous Airfields of the Andes Part II...(1929--1941)

Thread: Dangerous Airfields of the Andes Part II...(1929--1941)

Dangerous Airfields of the Andes Part II...(1929--1941)

Blog Entries
    Hello Gera, I just arrived at La Rinconda in your Part I package. Very nice scenery and I enjoyed the flight.
    I have not made many FSX flights in South America but the terrain seemed a bit flat. I added the LOD9 mesh by José Lôbo and Oséas Dourado that I use in FS9 and that seemed to help a lot. Is there another mesh that you can recommend?
    I am looking forward to flights out to the other airfields in Part I, and your new Part II.
    Thank you for a very nice addition to FSX.

Regards,
    John

Attachment 29218

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane91 View Post
    Hello Gera, I just arrived at La Rinconda in your Part I package. Very nice scenery and I enjoyed the flight.
    I have not made many FSX flights in South America but the terrain seemed a bit flat. I added the LOD9 mesh by José Lôbo and Oséas Dourado that I use in FS9 and that seemed to help a lot. Is there another mesh that you can recommend?
    I am looking forward to flights out to the other airfields in Part I, and your new Part II.
    Thank you for a very nice addition to FSX.

Regards,
    John

Attachment 29218

Hi John.......The best scenery terrain for Central and South America at the present is "Taburet's freeware FSX Scenery--South America SRTM 76 m..in four parts which you can download in Flightsim.com, do add SCENERY TECH - SOUTH AMERICA LANDCLASS and there is a freeware that really upgrades Rock that is really good, all these together will get you a fairly good S.A.... Happy to know you got safely to La Rinconada :ernae:

Check my post on the Andes Mountains for some shots of the above combination...

In my opinion, the best mesh available for south america is this one:

http://www.ceaero.com.br/meshxsa/dowsa.html

I recommend it. :salute:
    Flavio - P3D v4.5 - MSFS 2020 - Win 11 Pro 64
    i912900KF 5.2ghz - ASUS TUFZ690 - AIO Cooler Master PL360 Flux Masterliquid - 32gb Kingston Fury 3600mhz - Asus RTX 2080 Super - AGON 32'' AG323FCXE 165mhz -
    MCP 737R 2015 Virtual Avionics - SSDs M2 2Tb+1Tb XPG

Quote Originally Posted by flaviossa View Post
    In my opinion, the best mesh available for south america is this one:

http://www.ceaero.com.br/meshxsa/dowsa.html

I recommend it. :salute:
    Thank you, will check it out...., I downloaded some parts a few months ago but did not see any "big" difference from what I have, but maybe I should try a few more parts.

Blog Entries
    Thank you Gera and Flaviossa for your reccomendations. The mesh I installed by José Lôbo and Oséas Dourado has a curious characteristic that appears to be shared with the mesh Flaviossa reccomended. An excerpt from the Project FSX Mesh South America "Readme";

"Although not well documented, to improve performance, the updated FSX loads DEM
    files in threads and only the closer terrain (about 5 NM from the point of view)
    is rendered in high detail, while at far distances FSX shows up its default low
    resolution mesh, when there is not a third part terrain mesh compiled in all
    others intermediate level of details (multi-LOD)."

If I understand this correctly, an additional add-on mesh of lower resolution would render a smoother transition. I will try Rumbaflappy's LOD5 and 7 to see how this works.

I have also downloaded Taburet's LOD9 to try.

The scenery in South America is magnificent and this is a good time of year for me to "visit" my neighbors to the south.

Hey John.... I did forget to tell you I use FS Genesis Mesh for the whole world which I think is the best all around, as mesh goes...hope to upload version II of the Andes airfields at end of week.....The Country I really love to fly in is Chile for Mountains ( better than Alaska and Canada) and Peru and Brazil for Rivers and Jungle....

Gera, can you suggest some other "high altitude capable" aircraft for these trips? I tried one in the Maule (La Rinconda, I think) the first leg was about 65nm I believe and after 30 minutes of trying to climb, I was still 50nm away and finally had to set down as it just wouldn't climb anymore.:salute:
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    Gera, can you suggest some other "high altitude capable" aircraft for these trips? I tried one in the Maule (La Rinconda, I think) the first leg was about 65nm I believe and after 30 minutes of trying to climb, I was still 50nm away and finally had to set down as it just wouldn't climb anymore.:salute:
    None better than the Pilatus Porter, or a turbo DH3, in the Andes it is common to fly planes with power and oxygen bottles or pressuriced jobs.....since these fields are very short and high you will have trouble at midday or hot days since engines can't breath very well.....I did all airfields in an Italian Turbo STOL, the SIAI Marchetti S. M. 1019A 1, which was a highly modified Cessna 185, you can download it in Flightsim.....Flying with carburators in the engines was a dire situation and flying there,which occured since 1929, was very dangerous.....there is an old trick which worked and that was flying in circles until altitude was gained then darting to the target. Long flights to high places was full of danger and pilots were Good and had iron balls to say the least, or the buzzards would have a field day. The Andes are full of wrecks.

Ps. It is so sad that one of the greatest French pilot and writer, Antoine Marie de Saint Exupéry who was a pioneer in Argentina and the Andes in the late 20s and early 30s had to die by a bullet of an Me/109...the German pilot later said that if he would have known who he was shooting on that P/38 he would never had done it........sorry I got carried away....Fly a turbo.

Quote Originally Posted by gera View Post
    None better than the Pilatus Porter, or a turbo DH3, in the Andes it is common to fly planes with power and oxygen bottles or pressuriced jobs.....since these fields are very short and high you will have trouble at midday or hot days since engines can't breath very well.....I did all airfields in an Italian Turbo STOL, the SIAI Marchetti S. M. 1019A 1, which was a highly modified Cessna 185, you can download it in Flightsim.....Flying with carburators in the engines was a dire situation and flying there,which occured since 1929, was very dangerous.....there is an old trick which worked and that was flying in circles until altitude was gained then darting to the target. Long flights to high places was full of danger and pilots were Good and had iron balls to say the least, or the buzzards would have a field day. The Andes are full of wrecks.

Ps. It is so sad that one of the greatest French pilot and writer, Antoine Marie de Saint Exupéry who was a pioneer in Argentina and the Andes in the late 20s and early 30s had to die by a bullet of an Me/109...the German pilot later said that if he would have known who he was shooting on that P/38 he would never had done it........sorry I got carried away....Fly a turbo.
    Thanks, I'll see what I can drum up Gera. . .good info.:salute:
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

It is said that a witch lives in the old house in the short field of Lago Frio...

For those that might be flying to these airfields.....Please take into consideration that you will be in 1929-1941 so fly aircraft of the times. I just finished checking all fields and used a 1930s biplane as well as an old Dehavilland and got in and out a little shocked but in one piece....in order to make these flights as real as possible do fly with Crash enabled otherwise its not real at all.....you either get in and out fine or you go to Ciber Limbo.........if the final shot comes out as a Mission that´s how they´ll be.....

Maybe by saturday they will go online...........I really want to thank all who have given the first batch a try, there are over 1200 downloads since friday last and special thanks for those who have kindly e-mailed me with comments and other ideas...Gracias.:ernae:

A tip....a good maneuver for landings in short fields is the slow speed "side slip".....