March 25th...Cliffs of Dover - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: March 25th...Cliffs of Dover

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Dang..........I just saw the latest update screenshots and the terrain looks horrible. They use some ugly snot colored green on Britain like they did for the original IL2. How hard can it be to get green right?

No it doesn't.

Oleg posts screenshots from a low-end machine, with everything set to low.

The terrain looks fantastic maxed out.

@Piper, where the heck do you see a FW190, and the Blenhiem Mk. IV was active during the Battle of France already.....

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_Piper View Post
    Hi Guys

Video is confusing

the Mk IV Blenheim was not built in 1940 & pretty sure the FW190 wasn't either so not much accuracy on the timeline in the video but it looks good.

Regards
    Rick

Hey Rick, I don't have my spectacles on, but I didn't see an FW-190. I did see an Italian aircraft, dunno what it was though. According to the RAF Museum, the Blenheim IV was built from 1938.
    I thought it was damned un-sporting to shot down that Tiger Moth.
    Norwich, a fine city.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    "Storm Of War: BoB" sounds way worse and cheesier to me than "IL-2:Cliffs Of Dover".
    Not if you're a native of these shores, it doesn't. I don't know who advises Oleg on these things, but he needs new advisors.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul K View Post
    Not if you're a native of these shores, it doesn't. I don't know who advises Oleg on these things, but he needs new advisors.
    Cliffs of Dover sounds like a delightfully cheesy folk song or similar. It's a bit of a daft title for a game.
    Swa se šeodkyning žeawum lyfde

Something like this Song?

[YOUTUBE]YUx3MU9iM6c[/YOUTUBE]

The name change really threw me, but it's a marketing decision by UbiSoft. Whether or not their decision is good remains to be seen. I wonder how many will see the name "Il-2 Sturmovik" and assume it's just another version of the same old game? UbiSoft is the same publisher that decided to put American aircraft manufacturers' names on the box cover of Il-2 Sturmovik: Pacific Fighters without obtaining permission to use those names, thus bringing to an end the inclusion of additional American designed aircraft in the Il-2 series. Their choices of copyright protection schemes has a spotty track record as well. We'll see how this pans out and I'd like to see some reviews of the flight and damage modeling before I decide to buy.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Charter Member 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by GrinningJester View Post
    No it doesn't.

Oleg posts screenshots from a low-end machine, with everything set to low.

The terrain looks fantastic maxed out.
    the terrain is based on a fantasy world. Englands grass is green no yellow at all. Dont bother saying that modern fields are yellow, thats oil seed rape, twasnt invented in the 40s

this ones even worse, purple ... blue ..orange .. brown .. even a bit of pink... i'd be ashemed trying to pass this off as England ...

yes i know i cant spell half the time! Thank you kindly to those few who pointed that out

I think I should join in on the fuss...what they tried to pass of as Berlin in the original IL-2 is unacceptable! The colors and city layout...all wrong!

Come on, people. Well all know you will buy the sim in the end regardless of coloring of the landscape.
    Besides, the ground is just textures which can be edited anyways.

Couldn't the yellow be wheat ?

Pearl Harbor Project developer
    Well I am a part of the CFS- IL2 wars... developed for both but always had hope for the next CFS.

Will be buying this though. If nothing is to note what new things have been done with this sim... and to see if will be more open for us to design for.
    crashAZ- Virtual Navy
    [SIGPIC]http://www.sim-outhouse.net/images/rtwr2013/rtwr2013_sm.png[/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by stiz View Post
    the terrain is based on a fantasy world. Englands grass is green no yellow at all. Dont bother saying that modern fields are yellow, thats oil seed rape, twasnt invented in the 40s
    I am not defending the terrain in Il-2 Cliffs of Dover but the idea that England was only green in WWII is one I have seen many times on the net. This isn't true as the pictures attached show, all of these images are of planes flying over WWII England. Note that many of the fields are definately yellow or brown, not just green.

Some more WWII colour images over England. Certainly plenty of browns and yellows in there.

If you've ever flown over England, especially coming in from North America, one of the most noticeable things you see is the incredible depth of green. It's an island and the recipient of much rain brought in by the Atlantic storms. Certainly today it is highly contrasted with the brilliant yellow of rape seed fields, but back then the muted yellow of wheat fields would have been interspersed by that same rich green. Early spring months would have earthy brown, black or red soil (depending on where you are), but this is soon replaced by the food crops or dairy fields so necessary at time of war. Early colour photos of course diminish and wash out, the only time you may see brown fields would be in deep drought.

It's a little known fact that most British war films made during the war were filmed in colour, it was the scenery that was black and white.
    Norwich, a fine city.

Charter Member 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ICDP View Post
    I am not defending the terrain in Il-2 Cliffs of Dover but the idea that England was only green in WWII is one I have seen many times on the net. This isn't true as the pictures attached show, all of these images are of planes flying over WWII England. Note that many of the fields are definately yellow or brown, not just green.
    I never said it was all green, but even the "green" in il2:COD has an over yellow hue and overdone brightness to it
    yes i know i cant spell half the time! Thank you kindly to those few who pointed that out

I think it's time to move this thread to the Il2 forum. I'll leave a redirect though.
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Quote Originally Posted by stiz View Post
    I never said it was all green, but even the "green" in il2:COD has an over yellow hue and overdone brightness to it
    That is much clearer now thanks, I agree the greens have an unrealsitic yellow hue to them. It is like they just added a bit more yellow tint to the entire terrain textures. It is quite crap looking to be honest. I agree the terrain in IL2 and the shots of the new terrain look not even close to the english countryside (try saying that on simhq without the sycophants attacking you!).

Forgive me but the problem was that your first post left no room for misinterpretation. It explicitly states no yellow at all. Obvioulsy this was referring to England during WWII.

"the terrain is based on a fantasy world. Englands grass is green no yellow at all."

The reason I responded to that post was to show that there was indeed a variety of greens, browns and yellows in the English countryside during WWII. The shots I posted show this without a shadow of a doubt. Even if one or two of them are washed out it is clear there are yellows and browns in there.

I'm hope this clears things up now that we both agree and are on the same page

IL-2:CoD will ship without Ubisoft's "Always online" copy protection.

http://www.gamestar.de/spiele/il-2-s...6,2320673.html

(If you can't read german; you'll have to believe me.)

You've not mislead us in the past, so I'll believe you. This is unfortunate for those without internet service or those on slow or limited services. I probably will not buy it, I don't like having to use the internet every time I want to play something.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    IL-2:CoD will ship without Ubisoft's "Always online" copy protection.

http://www.gamestar.de/spiele/il-2-s...6,2320673.html

(If you can't read german; you'll have to believe me.)

Sounds good to me! I don't like not being able to play SH5 if my internet falls over..
    Live to fly, fly to live. Do or die, ACES HIGH!

CPL(A), Single Pilot Multi-Engine Instrument Rating, tail-wheel, aerobatic, formation
    Category A Flight Instructor with night, aerobatics, spinning, terrain awareness and basic mountain flying endorsements
    General Aviation Flight Examiner
    Chief Flying Instructor for Auckland Aero Club

Quote Originally Posted by Whitehawk View Post
    Sounds good to me! I don't like not being able to play SH5 if my internet falls over..
    Oops! I read that as "with", not "without". Without is great!

Sure is! Really can't wait for March 25th!
    Live to fly, fly to live. Do or die, ACES HIGH!

CPL(A), Single Pilot Multi-Engine Instrument Rating, tail-wheel, aerobatic, formation
    Category A Flight Instructor with night, aerobatics, spinning, terrain awareness and basic mountain flying endorsements
    General Aviation Flight Examiner
    Chief Flying Instructor for Auckland Aero Club

Pearl Harbor Project developer
    Interested in more news on the multiplayer.... may have to get some SOH squadrons going here.
    crashAZ- Virtual Navy
    [SIGPIC]http://www.sim-outhouse.net/images/rtwr2013/rtwr2013_sm.png[/SIGPIC]

Charter Member 2012

PRE-ORDER RELEASES: 3/22/2011

http://shop.ubi.com/store/ubina/en_U...ctID.224108000

Is this for offline also or just online?
    CFS3-MAW,PTO,DPC Korea, OFF2 and ETO Expansions

FSX Gold Edition

IL-2 Cliffs of Dover

Rise of Flight

DCS A-10C Warthog

Train Simulator 2012

Charter Member 2012
    The game will feature over a dozen flyable aircraft from the UK, German and Italian armies. The single player campaign will feature the player taking on the Germans as part of the British Air Force battling it out over London and other parts of Britain, France and Belgium. The game will also feature multiplayer with support for up to a whopping 128 players. Look for graphical support for DirectX 10 and DirectX 11 features.

In addition to the regular game there will also be a Collector's Version that will feature a 150 page ring binder with pilot instructions, a replica of the pilot's notes on the Spitfire I Aeroplane and a cloth pilot escape map. You can check out a trailer for the game after the jump:
    CFS3-MAW,PTO,DPC Korea, OFF2 and ETO Expansions

FSX Gold Edition

IL-2 Cliffs of Dover

Rise of Flight

DCS A-10C Warthog

Train Simulator 2012