Convair
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Convair

Convair

Hey, look at that, it's Convair 580!

But look at that, I think I spot some specular and bump mapping!

And somewhere in these shots is some self-shadowing!

Oh no, he didn't!

Yes, he did.

Thanks to Tom Gibson for the source files!

Just need to do all the pesky stuff, like writing ID10T-proof installation instructions, packing everything and uploading it.

I saw one of these at Warbirds over Wanaka 2010. They make incredible amount of noise.
    Craig Tatley
    No DC-3 without the DC-2

http://www.dc2-fs.com/

Very, VERY nice!

Would like to see a Convair 880 get done too!!!

NC

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    Would like to see a Convair 880 get done too!!!
    Well, no one did one with a VC since FS2002 days.

But I wouldn't do one. A 990 maybe, but no 880.

The tailfin looks awesome with these bumps!
    And thanks to the painted-only windows, I already see lots of cargo paints coming up.

Great work, Björn! :ernae:

Cheers,
    Markus.
    Captain Wild Bill Kelso: War nerves? Who said war nerves?
    The Patron: I heard it on that radio there.
    [Kelso shoots the radio]
    Captain Wild Bill Kelso: Radio's wrong.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Speaking of cargo; I'm thinking of cutting out the baggage door and doing a dedicated cargo model - provided that the cutouts are always in one and the same location and not dependant on the company doing the conversion.

- Edit:

But then again; Gmax is such a nightmare to use...

I wanted to fly this thing today, not cut stuff in and out, darnit! D:

Bjoern, if you are going to start cutting the 580, then by all means please cut a big, hydraulically controlled cargo door into that baby!

By the way, any change in the skins for the 580 or do they remain the same as the FS9 skins?
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by stansdds View Post
    Bjoern, if you are going to start cutting the 580, then by all means please cut a big, hydraulically controlled cargo door into that baby!
    I'm on that.

By the way, any change in the skins for the 580 or do they remain the same as the FS9 skins?
    Any livery ever released for the 580 can be used with the native model.

Retaining compatibility was a major objective in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    I'm on that.

Any livery ever released for the 580 can be used with the native model.

Retaining compatibility was a major objective in the process.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Just thinking out loud, a tank on this aircraft would be great.

Attachment 27865

....... A 990 maybe, but no 880.

That would also be cool!

NC

YES! nice one Bjoern, your next beer is on my tab! :ernae: can't wait to drape a Sim outhouse livery onto her!

Quote Originally Posted by Slund View Post
    Just thinking out loud, a tank on this aircraft would be great.
    Just thinking out loud: No, not from me.

I would think that adding a tank would require a lot of 3D model work, new skin mapping, and a new flight model.

Just thinking out loud: No, not from me.
    :salute: No worries, it will be great to have a native 580, thank you kindly.

The VC has more changes than the average user will ever notice. And yes, the wipers are working and behaving realistically.

Some paints need adjustments to the doors.

Also, there's strobe lights now which should make the FAA stop complaining.

Thinking about adding a GPU...but where to plug it in?

Quote Originally Posted by stansdds View Post
    I would think that adding a tank would require a lot of 3D model work, new skin mapping, and a new flight model.
    The 3D and texturing work isn't actually the worst part. With a tanker model comes the request to add firebombing capability, which would require FDE, gauge and effect work. And that's work I simply don't want to do.

Thanks for making the cargo version.

Can you round out the edges of all the doors please. That's always bugged me since the old FS98 version I helped make. We had sever limitations on poly count back then and as the model has moved through the FS versions over time (and I got sidetracked with French fighters) no one has addressed that area.

How about putting in a plug in front of and behind the wings to make a 5800 model?
    Info here: http://www.flightcraft.ca/documents/...-extension.htm
    :ernae:

The 3D and texturing work isn't actually the worst part. With a tanker model comes the request to add firebombing capability, which would require FDE, gauge and effect work. And that's work I simply don't want to do.
    If you do the model itself, someone will come along and do the effects and stuff like that. Even just the model i would be very thankful for.
    Im very happy to see just a native 580 anyways.
    "If three-holers are gas guzzlers, why are there four-holers now???"
    "But what do i know? I'm just the 800 pound guerrilla in the room."

Fire! Fire! Your pants better not be on fire....

GPU. Appears when the appropriate switch in the 'pit is set to "ground".

Quote Originally Posted by fsafranek View Post
    Can you round out the edges of all the doors please. That's always bugged me since the old FS98 version I helped make. We had sever limitations on poly count back then and as the model has moved through the FS versions over time (and I got sidetracked with French fighters) no one has addressed that area.
    Can't; won't.

I'm trying to slice out the doors as good as I can (it's not square at least), but the mesh is just too old to put in tons of refinements.

I will not touch the mapping of the main parts. GMax is kind of a nightmare to use compared to 3DS Max (on the upside, GMax exports faster than Max 9), especially in the mapping department, so anything I do is, well, rather lo-fi and simple.

How about putting in a plug in front of and behind the wings to make a 5800 model?
    Info here: http://www.flightcraft.ca/documents/...-extension.htm
    No.
    Reason: See above. I won't touch any relevant texture mappings.

Also, the 5800 is *way* more than "just" a stretch. Think new engines (= FDE) and a partial glass cockpit (= gauges).

Quote Originally Posted by Cag40Navy View Post
    If you do the model itself, someone will come along and do the effects and stuff like that. Even just the model i would be very thankful for.
    Okay, you'll get that freaking tank.
    But if you ask for a stubby nose version, I *will* kill you! ;P

Blog Entries
    Okay, you'll get that freaking tank.
    But if you ask for a stubby nose version, I *will* kill you! ;P

Geez Bjoern he's just making his desire known...you wanted to be a steely-eyed developer...this is what you put up with LOL!!! Hey could you do the stubby nose version?????
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

Charter Member 2015
    Excellent work,Bjorn :ernae:

Can you morph the mesh a 'lil bit until it looks and flies like a DC-8?!!!!!

j/k :d

Buahahahahaha
    I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Quote Originally Posted by txnetcop View Post
    Geez Bjoern he's just making his desire known...
    Yeah, still all I do is work, work, work and all I ever get is "Can you do this and that?".

you wanted to be a steely-eyed developer...this is what you put up with LOL!!!
    I don't get paid for investing hours of my time into models, so I actually don't have to.

And even 'though I know that it'll bite me in the arse later on, I'll do it this once because it's in my "boundary of willingness".

But here's the catch...there'll be just a .mdl file for the airtanker subvariant and the end user will have to figure everything else out him/herself. Mwahahahaha!

Hey could you do the stubby nose version?????
    Buggar off.

(Also, I don't do fugly noses.)

Quote Originally Posted by kilo delta View Post
    Can you morph the mesh a 'lil bit until it looks and flies like a DC-8?!!!!!
    That's it. No DC-8 ever from me!

Charter Member 2015

Bow the belly tank a little....stick some outriggers on the wings and turn it into an amphibian! ;P
    I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry