Blurry Ground Textures in FS2004

Thread: Blurry Ground Textures in FS2004

Blurry Ground Textures in FS2004

I just wasted over an hour of my life trying to resolve a problem with blurry ground textures, which suddenly resolved itself and I have absolutely no idea what combination of fs9.cfg settings and/or aircraft selection caused it or fixed it. My default aircraft is the Koolhoven FK58, a nicely detailed plane but not at all a resource hog and I've flown it before with no impact on ground detail. So I try a few .cfg adjustments based on what I read online, still blurry. Then in mid-flight I switch aircraft to Paul Clawson's basic B-18 Bolo and voila, the ground detail looks fine. Switch back to the Koolhoven and it's still good. If anybody's encountered this before, where do you start troubleshooting? What settings do you use to maintain decent ground detail?

I found some addons cause it for me..
    I installed the Italian Breda Ba.65 and all my ground and building textures went blurred and there was nothing i could do, as soon as i removed it everything was normal again.

Gary

Cool

Hi,

as soon as i removed it everything was normal again.
    Dunno why .. but sometime this can be caused by the VC panel.
    Try it without VC panel .. for seen if it's cure the problem.
    You can get rid completely of the VC panel by editing the model file with a Hex editor.
    I made a small tutorial available here:
    http://www.4shared.com/file/3BEV4Dbz...-Tutorial.html

Some nice tips how to utilize the fs9.cfg can be found here:

http://www.fsworld.co.za/community/v....php?f=3&t=211 (one off easy registration required)

This link helped me a lot in understanding the fs9.cfg.
    There are plenty of tips of how to improve any texture issues.
    My FS9 was never as good as it is today!
    A document well worth printing out!

Ah, the old blurries strike again - I have lost so much hair on this over the years to teach me that they rarely can be caught, but this old fs9.cfg entry might give some relief:

[DISPLAY]
    UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=25
    TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=200
    TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=10
    Ignore this, it just changes the light size
    --->RUNWAY_LIGHTS_SURFACE_SCALAR=0.7 // 1 or 0.6=rather dim
    RUNWAY_LIGHTS_VASI_SCALAR=0.7
    RUNWAY_LIGHTS_APPROACH_SCALAR=1.0
    RUNWAY_LIGHTS_STROBE_SCALAR=1.0 <---

[TERRAIN]
    TERRAIN_ERROR_FACTOR=100.000000
    TERRAIN_MIN_DEM_AREA=10.000000
    TERRAIN_MAX_DEM_AREA=100.000000
    TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=21
    TERRAIN_TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=8
    TERRAIN_AUTOGEN_DENSITY=5
    TERRAIN_USE_GRADIENT_MAP=1
    TERRAIN_EXTENDED_TEXTURES=1
    TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=9.000000
    TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=9.000000 <--- Most recommends will put 4.50000 in this line put I find the 9.000000 makes textures that much crisper
    TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=4

I am convinced that my computer runs FS2004 best between 1 and 3 am, so help me!

Sascha

Tarps, that Koolhaven has always put everything into the blurries for me. And that's with DXT 3 textures.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Personally, I'd like to see something similar to an FS9 configurator like ( Bjoetes<--spelling?) that is available for FSX (can't remember the website) that scans your hardware and pops out the best FS9.cfg, I really think it would take a lot of the guess work out of things for people like me.

Cool

Hi,

Tarps, that Koolhaven has always put everything into the blurries for me. And that's with DXT 3 textures.
    Do you test it with VC panel removed ?

Ah, the old blurries strike again - I have lost so much hair on this over the years to teach me that they rarely can be caught, but this old fs9.cfg entry might give some relief:
    The blurries of the posters above have nothing to do with their FS9.CFG settings.
    They have blurries only when they use some particular planes....
    Again .. remove VC panel (Hexedit model) and check for any improvements.

Personally, I'd like to see something similar to an FS9 configurator like ( Bjoetes<--spelling?) that is available for FSX (can't remember the website) that scans your hardware and pops out the best FS9.cfg, I really think it would take a lot of the guess work out of things for people like me.
    http://www.venetubo.com/fsx.html
    Your dream (don't come true)
    http://www.venetubo.com/fs9.html

SOH-CM-2023
    I have gotten blurries with Joe Binka's Cessna 195 and AFG's King Air 300. Also, Some of Sid's earlier scenery objects also caused blurries. The culprit If I remember right is something to do with some textures being set as DXT1 with or without mips. (Can't remember which)

Also it can be a glitch in how the model was compiled.

With the AFG King air, I get the Blurs when I switch to external view and move the eyepoint. hitting alt twice (bringing up the menu bar) seems to cure the problem. I have only seen this problem with GMax created planes (And only rarely) and not with FSDS created model files.

I think some of the problem lies in how the textures are assigned when the model is compiled. Particularly if there is a mix of 32 bit, DXT3 and DXT1 textures. Mips may also affect things as well.

This is just my theory and I haven't been able to nail down the exact cause.
    You can't take the sky from me...

Quote Originally Posted by claudius24 View Post
    I had the FSX link already.
    The FS9 link is no good

Icon5

Hi,

The FS9 link is no good
    Hence:
    Your dream don't come true

Quote Originally Posted by OleBoy View Post
    I had the FSX link already.
    The FS9 link is no good
    Quote Originally Posted by claudius24 View Post
    Hi,

Hence:
    Your dream don't come true
    That's why I make red..lol Help!!

It simplifies things if certain planes start the trouble, sceneries are way harder to diagnose. I agree with trying replacing the panel with say the default C-172. Similarly try different texture swaps where possible. Gauge problems usually crash the game instantly or you get an error box.
    W10-64 Pro, 3GHz, 16GB Ram, AMD Radeon HD 5570

Fix for Breda 65

Quote Originally Posted by Draenog View Post
    I found some addons cause it for me..
    I installed the Italian Breda Ba.65 and all my ground and building textures went blurred and there was nothing i could do, as soon as i removed it everything was normal again.

Gary
    Here's the fix:
    in the common texture folder rename the BASE.bmp file to met.bmp (and make sure it's copied into all texture folders). You can delete the old base.bmp file.

ben

Quote Originally Posted by momone View Post
    Here's the fix:
    in the common texture folder rename the BASE.bmp file to met.bmp (and make sure it's copied into all texture folders). You can delete the old base.bmp file.

ben
    What does it change?

What does it change?
    The result is that FS no longer looks in vain for met.bmp; framerates are much improved; FS finds the met.bmp file where's it's supposed to be; and there are no more blurries on the ground... which was the reason the original poster needed to delete the whole model from the sim. I also had the same problem and the fix (supplied by the developper who apologized for the mistake on another forum) works.

Renaming base.bmp to met.bmp fixed it. It took a reboot for my machine to clear it from the cache. After loading up fs again the VC was smooth as glass and the blurries were gone.

Thanks for the tip momone. Greatly appreciated for the tip on how to correct it :ernae:

I since went into the common folder inside the .zip and fixed it there also. That way it won't happen again. With this one anyway.

Do you know any other of MVG aircraft that have this issue, so I can fix it while thinking about it?
    ...I know. I can check the files. I figure you might be able to save me the trouble!!

Renaming base.bmp to met.bmp fixed it. It took a reboot for my machine to clear it from the cache. After loading up fs again the VC was smooth as glass and the blurries were gone.

Thanks for the tip momone. Greatly appreciated for the tip on how to correct it :ernae:

I since went into the common folder inside the .zip and fixed it there also. That way it won't happen again. With this one anyway.

Do you know any other of MVG aircraft that have this issue, so I can fix it while thinking about it?
    ...I know. I can check the files. I figure you might be able to save me the trouble!!
    OK!
    It's such a finely crafted model and the skins are gorgeous. Perhaps now - more people will enjoy it. All it needs is a bit of reminding and that there's an easy fix for the blurries it's causing. I'm thinking that many may have looked at it but uninstalled it, unfortunately.
    re: other models; if I remember correctly a patch was issued for the Ansaldo S.V.A.-5. I don't recall anything else regarding the rest of his work.

I enjoy all of Manuele & Team aircraft. They are done very nicely!!
    ...I do have the fix for the Ansaldo too.

Again, thanks so much for the information to fix the issue of the VC :ernae: