Iris Vulcan

Thread: Iris Vulcan

Question Iris Vulcan

I got the Iris Vulcan during the great sale. But I can't fly it. I can't get power to the flight controls. I have gone through the check list numerous times and can not get them to work. Any ideas what I am screwing up?
    John
    ATC USN Ret

Pilots side console, area 6 in the picture on page 13 of the manual:

Go along pressing the red lights until they are all out and the green one at the forward end illuminates. PFC should now operate.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul K View Post
    Pilots side console, area 6 in the picture on page 13 of the manual:

Go along pressing the red lights until they are all out and the green one at the forward end illuminates. PFC should now operate.
    I've done that numerous times, still no PFC's. Still have warning lights too.
    John
    ATC USN Ret

Hmm, that's odd. I've just tried it again, and it works fine for me. Have you tried toggling the three buttons at the aft end of the PFC console ? I didn't have to, but it might make a difference.

I have found that due to differences in the set up of variables, sometimes hitting shift M will get the electrical working even though it should be fine just turning on the battery, This will toggle on the Master Batt and Master Alternator/Gen.

Sieggie, that may relate to issues I've had with the Vulcan 'twitching' while static on the ground, the tail strike imminent/occurred warning lights showing, and freezes in the spoiler animation. David Brice once published a config edit that corrected it, but I didn't keep a record of it.

Shift+M eh ? I'll try that tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Sieggie View Post
    I have found that due to differences in the set up of variables, sometimes hitting shift M will get the electrical working even though it should be fine just turning on the battery, This will toggle on the Master Batt and Master Alternator/Gen.
    Shift + M fixed it. Thanks for the help. Now I'll go and see if I can "fly" this great classic.
    John
    ATC USN Ret

I have found that I have to set the FUEL_SELECTOR_ALL (single eng) and FUEL_SELECTOR_2_ALL (twins) on some models that do not have a Knob/switch in the cockpit to get engines to start sometimes. This was a problem on the Vert F6F for me, if I don't set fuel on and force a Mixture full with the key command for some reason the plane flips over on start. They have told me it relates to engine damage on startup somehow. Also could not get the right engine to start on the IRIS F14 until I sent the selector_2 command. I program the keys into my controller using FSUIPC to verify and then try and find somewhere to insert it into the XML once I figure out which keystrokes need to be sent. I believe in my case it has to do with me using the A2A P47 in cold and dark mode as my initial setup. I think things that can be controlled by the switches in its cockpit are required to normally be on in other aircraft and they do not have switches in their cockpits to turn on those functions. Just makes FSX more challenging and interesting as hobbies go. Infinite configurability leads to inevitable oversight by the programmers.

Dave