RTWR Practice #1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RTWR Practice #1

Exclamation RTWR Practice #1

It's that time of year again. I have cobbled up a practice run based on last year's race. Should be a decent workout with a variety of aircraft. Special rules and requirements are below. Everything else is standard RTWR fare.

General rules refresher (Scroll about halfway down page):

http://www.fsrtwrace.com/rules.htm

Since we get most of the forum traffic at SOH proper, we decided to post at least the first practice round over here. Subsequent practice rounds might end up over at SOH Flight Center TBD.

Note: This is open to SOH team members or new SOH members interesting in joining the team only.

Thanks,
    Moses

Flight Simulator Around-The-World Race Practice #1

RULES

1. Starting Time.
    This practice will begin on Dec 30th at 1400 UTC (0900EST, 1400L) at El Paso International, Texas, USA (KELP).

2. Overview.
    The practice starts at KELP and will end at Ushuaia Intl, Argentina, (SAWH). All standard RTWR rules apply.

3. Normal Legs
    Normal legs may extend to a maximum distance of 750nm but remain limited to two hours in duration.

4. Jets.
    Pilots may complete up to 3 normal legs in subsonic jet aircraft (in addition to the one Galapagos Passage flight-see below). There is no weight limit here. The 2 hour duration and 750nm limits of normal legs apply.

5. Special Requirements.
    Helicopters.
    A total of 100 nm must be flown in helicopters. Both default and add-on helicopters may be used to satisfy this requirement. The V-22 is not considered a helicopter for the purposes of this rule, while the Pitcairn and Kellet Autogyros are.

Airmanship Challenge.
    These three airports are mandatory stops. They feature extremes in terrain and elevation and may have no navaids.

MM0K, Colotlan, Mexico

MHTG, Toncontin, Honduras (Famous real world approach. Slightly less daunting in FS depending on addon mesh and scenery)

SPRF, San Rafael, Peru

Galapagos Passage.
    The routing will pass through a mandatory three airport corridor of SKRG-SEST-SESA. The first leg SKRG-SEST must be flown in a subsonic jet. The second leg SEST-SESA must be flown in a 4-engine prop, (DC-4, DC-6, DC-7, Connie, C-97, B-29, B-50, C-124 etc). As always, no 4-engine turboprop may be used.

Weather.
    All flights will be conducted using FS2004 or FSX live weather engine (as supplied by Jeppesen). The appropriate setting is Real Weather with 15 minute updates. Special exceptions will be made for pilots who cannot comply. If the Real Weather system fails for everyone, pilots should switch to the "Fair Weather" theme.

WhooHoo, race season! Changing the oil in the P-38, P-51H, Hornet, and TiggerKitty...
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Good way to properly break in a new pair of R-2800s attached to an equally new Tigercat.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Things getting back to normal around here, so I should be there.

Jim

I'll try to join you, guys!

how do we get signed up?

There is no official sign up as yet. We might do something like that before the race to get an idea of who we can count on when the green flag drops. This may take place at the Outhouse.net site (http://www.sim-outhouse.net). We haven't really decided yet. Right now, just showing up for the practice is all that's needed. We try to give priority to new pilots for flying legs. After a couple you will get the idea. Not really that difficult. Just don't bump into mountains and such while letting down to your destination in darkness...
    HP Reverb G2

Videre Vincere Est
    Great! Like to learn more about this. Are Connie's allowed? Been flying them a lot lately!

"When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity." - Albert Einstein

Warrant's [MARQUEE]YouTube Channel[/MARQUEE] [MARQUEE]Photobucket [/MARQUEE] [MARQUEE]Webpage[/MARQUEE]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Weather radar EU and USA

You could fly a Connie except that they are not fast compared to the late war fighters that do most of the work. Your best bet would be a P-51, Bearcat, DH Hornet, P-38, Corsair etc. Something along those lines.

That said, sometimes the race calls for specialized aircraft like the Connie so we do have one leg where it would be appropriate for this practice run:

"Galapagos Passage.
    The routing will pass through a mandatory three airport corridor of SKRG-SEST-SESA. The first leg SKRG-SEST must be flown in a subsonic jet. The second leg SEST-SESA must be flown in a 4-engine prop, (DC-4, DC-6, DC-7, Connie, C-97, B-29, B-50, C-124 etc). As always, no 4-engine turboprop may be used."

Scrolling through last year's race threads gives you a good idea of the ebb and flow of the race and the aircraft in use:

http://www.sim-outhouse.net/forum/sh...Baton-Thread-1

http://www.sim-outhouse.net/forum/sh...Baton-Thread-2

Hope this helps.

Hey alright! Bring on the new guy reinforcements. Welcome aboard Quicksand Jr. and Warrant; and tell your friends!
    It's a grueling event but very interesting, fun (if you don't get too bogged down in details and planning; tho the rules helped a bunch last year for that) and challenging for your flight skills.
    Warrant, you would be an additional bonus being Euro-based for the time zone advantage.
    Cyas on the practice field.
    -John-

Quicksand Jr, Warrant, and any other 'new kids on the block'...

After the New Year we'll send out a notice asking for interests, etc. so you can be added to a team list. The main reason is that once we get closer to the race there is quite a bit of SOH Team info and discussion that we keep tucked away in a closed forum (The Hideout) and if you are still keen to be involved this ends up being our "registration".

For now, feel free to ask questions here -and there will be a Practice #1 Baton Posts Thread for posting the required flight info that you can follow. I'm just finishing up a list of links to past threads that should give a comprehensive look at the requirements and skills. One suggestion for now is the "RTW101 - The Racer's Computer" that covers a lot of the basics to get you ready.
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...ead.php?t=3408

The purpose of these practice sessions is to get the 'old hands' back up to speed after 10 months off and to ease the new recruits into the fun of RTWR flying, so welcome aboard!

Just a thought.. I assume everyone has already looked at the general route and probably taken a closer look at the known points along the way so there shouldn't be any real surprises... (cough, cough)

Rob

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

I've had limited experience with several other races. . .neither of which was anything to write home about but I'd like to give it another shot. I just finished installing the RTW-Duenna and despite having everything set correctly, I'm already getting errors saying I'm not set up correctly, grrrr (the Duenna and I did not get along well at all in my first Race attempt).

I'm flying FS9, I have a registered copy of FSUIPC and my primary aircraft will most likely be the F7F Tigercat. As for the 4-engine props, would I be safe picking up one of the Cal-Classics for that?:salute:
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    I'm flying FS9, I have a registered copy of FSUIPC and my primary aircraft will most likely be the F7F Tigercat. As for the 4-engine props, would I be safe picking up one of the Cal-Classics for that?:salute:
    Gnoopy's TB-50 is one of the fastest race legal 4-engine props but you have to understand her and watch your landings as the nose wheel is a bit fragile. It's also a bit difficult to install as you have to have parts from a couple of other aircraft for the TB-50 to work.
    Larry

I've picked up another 4 prop from Cal-Classics Larry. . .however getting it to start is proving a real hassle. . .I can get 3-4 to start and up to correct RPM's, then switch to 2 and it will crank but never go to full RPM (if I bring the mixture up it dies). . .and if I try to go to #1, that kills #2 and then neither of them will crank, lol.

Another hiccup is that my flying is limited to evenings and weekends, my days are spent away from my apartment sitting with my ex's mother who is 86 years old, so any practices (like tomorrow at 8am here), if they are always in the AM will be out of the question.:salute:
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

The start time is just that- a start time. The practice will probably last several days as it is ongoing depending who comes along to grab the baton.

OK tomorrow is not likely very good for me - working and such... I will try to go over the racers computer thread and get the sim set up for the next one. Since Turbo Props are not allowed I am thinking about the C123, I have the CIA Paint and I think it is just too cool, has anyont tried that in the race before? I also have the A2A Heavy Bombers and Jets, and somewhere a couple of the fighter add on's they did , so I will look at those as well. I am most inclined at this point to go with the C123, mainly because I can land the thing in one piece. I also have a freeware B25 that can withstand my "slam into the ground" technique but I am not sure if it would be allowed? I'll check the hangar and the CD's for possible Crash bed aircraft and see what I can find.
    Regards,
    Mike "Ears Hopin" P.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Freedom , everyone enjoys it, very few defend it. - If You Won't Stand Behind Our Troops then feel free to stand in front!

Blog Entries
    Count me in too, although i may be late for tomorrows practice as the start time coincides with my bd time.. I'll definitely be there though ( somewhat clueless guileless and confused ::lol: ) ..
    Pam

Oh well then, you will fit right in
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Hey All,

I'll be around. Was cleaning the dust off my joystick yesterday and flew my new Carenado 185 - didn't crash - good sign? I hope. First flight in about 6 months - seriously rusty - don't remember which keys do what but it'll come back - like riding a bike - right???

Another question - is this practice short enough to consider running two threads? NOT two teams but just trying to provide more opportunity to fly if someone already has the baton in one thread.

-Ed-
    My heroes have always been cowboys and they all carried guns-
    and they all rode horses-that is all but one.
    When he went to the rescue he flew a Cessna plane.
    His ranch was called the "Flying Crown" and "Sky King" was his name. -Jim Dilly-

The rich man writes the book of laws that the poor man must defend, but the highest laws are written on the hearts of honest men. - Ricky Skaggs-

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    Good way to properly break in a new pair of R-2800s attached to an equally new Tigercat.
    ANNND, the R2800s on the P-61 ..

Quote Originally Posted by EasyEd View Post
    Hey All,

I'll be around. Was cleaning the dust off my joystick yesterday and flew my new Carenado 185 - didn't crash - good sign? I hope. First flight in about 6 months - seriously rusty - don't remember which keys do what but it'll come back - like riding a bike - right???

Another question - is this practice short enough to consider running two threads? NOT two teams but just trying to provide more opportunity to fly if someone already has the baton in one thread.

-Ed-
    Hey, two threads. I like that idea!
    HP Reverb G2

Quote Originally Posted by EasyEd View Post
    Hey All,

-Ed-
    Ed, there's so much dust and ash around you, you'll never get it all cleaned out

As for a second & parallel thread, probably not for this one -- it's just a cobweb shaker but we'll have some others coming soonish.

Remember, if there are extra bodies sitting about, there's always weather checks, route scouting, flying wingman, prepping for the next leg...

“Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Yeah, me and Duenna is already slugging it out. It was fussing about Realism settings (Red) but I could not find what was wrong. Flew the first leg anyhow ... pedal to the medal; beautiful flight. Shame Duenna was being so picky.

Can someone tell what Realism Setting is wrong here?

EDIT: OHHH DUH!!!! Allow Collisions ....
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    Yeah, me and Duenna is already slugging it out.
    Can someone tell what Realism Setting is wrong here?

EDIT: OHHH DUH!!!! Allow Collisions ....
    Most likely that's it, but you can deselect "allow collisions with other aircraft"
    At the same time we've found that just dragging the sliders to the right sometimes fails to reach 100% so it's best to then click the 'right arrow' a couple of times on each one to get them all the way over.
    Edit:
    From the .txt file:

Info: Looks like FS2004
    Info: Configuration-File: C:\Documents and Settings\Milton\Application Data\Microsoft\FS9\FS9.CFG
    Info: REALISM/CrashTolerance: '1.000000' (OK)
    Info: REALISM/CrashDetection: '0' (NOT GOOD)
    Info: Weather/LoadWeather: '1' (OK)
    Info: Weather/DownloadWindsAloft: '1' (OK)
    Info: Weather/DisableTurbulence: '0' (OK)

Out in the west Texas town of El Paso...
    A couple of the boys headed back from Rosa's Cantina and decided the 30kt winds would make it fun to fly the Cubs tucked away in the hangar... Well, they land in a pretty short distance, and the hangar roof was well-braced...Attachment 26627

So the next morning when the fog had lifted, the RB-50 was rolled out and set course to follow a practice mission that was due to begin...
    Along the Carnage Trail the crew snapped a few shots of a BBQ'd Hellcat at MMZC, Attachment 26628
    an airport in a pit at MM0K and a nice extinct volcano just east of MMPB
    Attachment 26629Attachment 26630