Warthog!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Warthog!

Warthog!

This is my favorite look for the A-10. Thanks to all involved at IRIS for a awesome plane!:salute:

That does look bad a**! When I was in the navy, in an FA-18C squadron, we went to Nellis AFB for training with the USAF, and I overheard some of our pilots talking about making the mistake of "picking on" the A-10s. The basic rule of thumb seemed to be 1) don't get in front of that plane. It's that gun... and 2) don't turn with an A-10, because it can make square turns...
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

great images, what scenery has the sun shades/socs? (Soft aircraft shelters). i'm still in the Hog paint hangar... Davids locked me in here until i get more schemes done... can somebody get the key? heres a sneaky peek at whats going on... oh and i'm not just doing US 'Hogs... i'm thinking Globally (Fictionally of course)...

Great story Paul, yeah I would not want to be in the sights of A-10!

Smoothie, those are great looking paints! Hopefully David will at least let you out for the Holidays! LOL!

The scenery is in Iraq from Michael Carr. I know its at flightsim.com, probably at avsim also. The file name is mcdiraq.zip.

Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post
    That does look bad a**! When I was in the navy, in an FA-18C squadron, we went to Nellis AFB for training with the USAF, and I overheard some of our pilots talking about making the mistake of "picking on" the A-10s. The basic rule of thumb seemed to be 1) don't get in front of that plane. It's that gun... and 2) don't turn with an A-10, because it can make square turns...
    You should be about 100yds away on the ground when that gun fires when coming in for a strafing run 75' off the deck....it sounds like the sky is ripping apart.

Got to see it more than a few times at FLW's Cannon Range....

-G-
    Visit my website www.scale-aviation.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lateral-G View Post
    You should be about 100yds away on the ground when that gun fires when coming in for a strafing run 75' off the deck....it sounds like the sky is ripping apart.

Got to see it more than a few times at FLW's Cannon Range....

-G-
    That would be awesome. Or perhaps a bit too close for "awesome"... I've watched our FA-18s strafe targets towed behind the aircraft carrier with thier M61 20mm cannon. It sounds like this: "brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrp, whooooooooop"
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

yeah the A-10 firing is a great sight and sound... witnessed it in Afghanistan, sends a shiver down you and makes you wish the GAU-8A was man-portable

On our FTX at Ft. Sill, us gun bunnies had a couple MLRS go off over our heads about 1.5mi away - loudest damn thing I've ever heard.

Blog Entries
    heh. even if its too close, its the most beautiful sound in the world, cuz usually it means you can sleep safely that night.. When i was in nam, we could hear shadows four miniguns firing from over five miles away, it was like the worlds loudest buzz saw, and we all loved it..

Coastie Dolphins/Spartans CG_1976's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoothie View Post
    great images, what scenery has the sun shades/socs? (Soft aircraft shelters). i'm still in the Hog paint hangar... Davids locked me in here until i get more schemes done... can somebody get the key? heres a sneaky peek at whats going on... oh and i'm not just doing US 'Hogs... i'm thinking Globally (Fictionally of course)...
    If you do a Canadian Arctic Camo Hog, I could give heck to the USAF over in Alaska and menice the Chinese/Russians in the Arctic Ocean

AMD FX 8-Core Black 4.2Ghz, 8G Ram 2TB HD, W8.1 pending W10, ATI R5 2G X2 Crossfire
    http://www.canadianarcticfse.com/

The only problem with those pictures is anyone looking at it can't hear it. They really got the engine sounds right on this, as it has that sort of "buzzing" sound the high bypass TF's make replicated very well. I'm assuming they used actual recordings, just saying.

USAF Eielson AFB, just about 20 miles east of Fairbanks had A-10 aircraft for years but now all have gone to other bases. There may be some paints of these aircraft in winter.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Pentium D 925 3.0Ghz dual core800 MHz FSB, (HP)MB Livermore-GL6, 2GB RAM PC2 4200 DDR 2 533 Mhz, ATI Radeon HD OC 4890 1GB GDDR5, Turbo-Cool 510 ps, Vista SP2 Home 32 bit, MS Sidewinder FF2, REX 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by wilycoyote4 View Post
    USAF Eielson AFB, just about 20 miles east of Fairbanks had A-10 aircraft for years but now all have gone to other bases. There may be some paints of these aircraft in winter.
    was just looking at the charcoal black and white scheme... not many markings on the thing...

redriver6
    This is my favorite look for the A-10.
    what look?

Is the AFRES Hawg re-paint shown in your screen pics available for download?

The one shown in low vis gray with the hog tusks...

Thanks

Captdoug

Attachment 25935

Here's a paint I'm working on that is about 70% done.

looking good :salute:

Quote Originally Posted by captdoug View Post
    Is the AFRES Hawg re-paint shown in your screen pics available for download?

The one shown in low vis gray with the hog tusks...

Thanks

Captdoug
    Thanks everyone!

Captdoug,

It will be ready for download in a day or two, just got to double check everything and make sure everything is right. I will let you know when it's ready:salute:

the sound of ...HOLY S--T !

Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post
    That would be awesome. Or perhaps a bit too close for "awesome"... I've watched our FA-18s strafe targets towed behind the aircraft carrier with thier M61 20mm cannon. It sounds like this: "brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrp, whooooooooop"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuYmn_xYB78

Pete!

Support Help For Heroes!

Charter Member 2015
    The A-10 has been a personal favourite of mine ever since seeing a pair of Euro1 Spangdahlem based hawgs display at a local air show.
    I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Is anyone doing Maryland ANG repaints for the Warthog? I feel obligated to, but I have too much on my plate already.

why i love the hogs.... insurgency hiding in a building? not an issue...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5Iz5MwPsfyo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5Iz5MwPsfyo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I'm supprised they just didn't stick a 500 pounder through that!
    Pete!

Support Help For Heroes!