How to properly "lubricate" a tile floor, or generally make a mess.

Thread: How to properly "lubricate" a tile floor, or generally make a mess.

How to properly "lubricate" a tile floor, or generally make a mess.

I was so proud of myself. Cooking isn't something I do, period. I mean, baking a pizza is big time culinary arts for me.

But on Thanksgiving, I deep-fried a turkey in an electric fryer, and it was so good, I decided to try other things. So for the past couple days, I have been "brining" a pork loin, and seasoning a duck to deep fry.

I had set up the fryer in the outside porch, which has a tile floor. I poured the peanut oil in the fryer, turned it on to preheat, and went back inside the house.

After a few minutes, my dog "Chief" started acting like he wanted out, so I opened the porch door, and we started out. Good thing we did at that time. I had forgotten to shut off the drain on the fryer, and over a gallon of hot peanut oil was now on the tile floor! Had someone been videotaping me, I must have looked comical. I was yelling, cursing, and running for towels! The area rug is toast, but the floor cleaned up easily. Whew! Fortunately, I still had enough oil to start over, but what a mess!!!!

NC

Mmmmm. I've been wanting to try this fried turkey for several years now. My wifey, being head chef and nutritional navigational expert-in-all has been loathe to go there. I remain fried turkey deprived (FTD syndrome).

I am hearing more and more coworkers, friends and relatives going there, so maybe I may someday find relief from my FTD. Maybe I'll just buy a turkey frier system and start issuing executive decisions.

If handled correctly, frying does not add fat to the food. Indeed there will be more fat in the pot after the turkey comes out (melted turkey fat leaves the turkey). Of course the traditional injection consisting of a stick of butter plus hot sauce, is a different nutritional issue.

Following all safety instructions is vital. I have only fried turkeys for Thanksgiving when the temperature is usually below freezing and the ground is covered by snow, so I don't have much concern about fires. A thoroughly thawed turkey however is a must for even cooking and avoiding oil blowout.

We deep fry ours outside over a propane burner where if the grease does blow out, it won't hurt anything. And also, make sure your turkey is dry. Nothing like getting some water into hot oil to ruin your day. Not mention cause a fire.

The moistest turkeys I've ever seen were deep fried.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Fried turkeys are great. My neighborhood bar used to have a Thanksgiving Day buffet and one of the regulars in the bar was a fried turkey "guru" and he did a super job. Moist tender meat and crunchy skin that's not good for us but we all like to eat it. :d

Retired SOH Administrator

Icon5

Oh, man...

I don't like that when it happens.
    I have a lot of oops...
    ...and some are embarrassing..
    But it makes Hannah and I roll on the floor laughing....

Chacha

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Any time you have a chance to talk to your local firefighters, ask 'em about turkey deep-fryers. Pretty sure they'll come up with a couple stories of folks who burned up their deck or porch because they didn't know how to use the fryer safely. Turkey goes in, oil overflows, you know what happens next.

Quote Originally Posted by TARPSBird View Post
    Any time you have a chance to talk to your local firefighters, ask 'em about turkey deep-fryers. Pretty sure they'll come up with a couple stories of folks who burned up their deck or porch because they didn't know how to use the fryer safely. Turkey goes in, oil overflows, you know what happens next.

Oh, I can easily see the potential hazards with a deep-fryer. This one is electric, but I still decided (wisely, as it turned out) to set it up in my porch. Had I used it inside, my wood floors...well, it would not have been pretty!

NC