is it possible to make damaged facilities?

Thread: is it possible to make damaged facilities?

is it possible to make damaged facilities?

I'm in the process of creating a mission and i was wondering whether it possible to create a facility that is already damaged/looks like it is destroyed, for example, an oil tank that is on fire or a ship that is sinking. If so, how could it be done?

Kurier auf Stube...pauke! NachtPiloten's Avatar

Yes it is possible

You would just have to make a new model that is damaged to start and create an effect that smoke/burns etc from the start for a very long time.

You may be able to take an existing model, locate a point in the model using x,y,z coordinates like the folks do for the wing and tail lights and then have one of the effects folks make a new effect, repaint the texture to show damage.

Just some ideas

Quote Originally Posted by cjcz7 View Post
    I'm in the process of creating a mission and i was wondering whether it possible to create a facility that is already damaged/looks like it is destroyed, for example, an oil tank that is on fire or a ship that is sinking. If so, how could it be done?
    Everything you need is already loaded in to ETO. Scroll thru the facilities and just pick out what you want. There are facilities for smoke and fire or if you want to destroy existing facilities simply place "bomb explosions" or "vehicle mines" on top of the facilities and they will destroy them. Once they are destroyed they will burn and smoke for quite awhile.

All of the stock facilities in ETO have been upgraded with new long lasting damage effects as have all of the stock vehicles.

To sink ships just place a "naval mine" near them. Many of the ETO ships now have improved damage effects that last longer. With the naval mines you can place them well ahead of the ships to destroy them at a preset time or location.

O-1
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

cool! i am giving those ideas a go now!
    you know if the damage effects will last for 2-3 hours+?

Quote Originally Posted by cjcz7 View Post
    cool! i am giving those ideas a go now!
    you know if the damage effects will last for 2-3 hours+?
    You can open up the ETO effects file with notepad and look at the emitter times for each effect. You will notice that the ETO effects are broken out in to several distinct sections. The top section (23 pages) labeled O-1Driver effects are all of the effects that I created for ETO. You will also see an AvHistory section and a stock CFS3 and MAW combined section.

In the O-1 Driver effects section I think the longest fire and smoke are located in the Fire Storm effects and they are set at 3600. An emitter time of 3600 translates to 60 minutes and I believe that is the longest of the effects. If an effect is set up as a damage effect the emitter time will control the total time. However if the effect is set up as a track effect on a "vehicle" like the fire_smoke vehicles used in the damage facilities then the effect will last forever until the mission is shut down.

If you place one of the fire_smoke facilities on top of a facility it will burn thruout the entire game. An example is the fire_smoke placed on to of the Monte Cassino Abbey in the L-5 night mission.

You may want to open up some of the ETO missions that have a lot of effects in them and look at how they were done.

Good luck with your missions,

Best Regards,
    O-1
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Missing something

O-1: In a truly simple mission, I have placed bombs, vehicle mines and lastly naval mines with no destructive effect on the targets.

Bombs go bang ok, but no effect on the target.

In the case of the vehicle, a Hetzer, it appears that the Hetzer is firing with explosions occuring down range of it; no effect on the Hetzer.

The ship, a German cargo vessel, sails past the mine place directly on its course, and the mine goes off, bang, AFTER the ship has passed it by several hundred yards.

What am I missing here? I have looked inside the xml files and not had any epiphanies.

Should the targets have goals attached to them? Or not?

I am in ETO 1.4

Quote Originally Posted by KellyB View Post
    O-1: In a truly simple mission, I have placed bombs, vehicle mines and lastly naval mines with no destructive effect on the targets.

Bombs go bang ok, but no effect on the target.

In the case of the vehicle, a Hetzer, it appears that the Hetzer is firing with explosions occuring down range of it; no effect on the Hetzer.

The ship, a German cargo vessel, sails past the mine place directly on its course, and the mine goes off, bang, AFTER the ship has passed it by several hundred yards.

What am I missing here? I have looked inside the xml files and not had any epiphanies.

Should the targets have goals attached to them? Or not?
    I am in ETO 1.4
    The naval mines need to be very close to the ships and set up as an enemy facility. For example if the ships are allied then the mines need to be German, same for the "bomb explosions" facility. The facility "battlefield explosions" is for effect only and will not cause damage.

The mines are "invisible" guns and the guns are oriented 360 degrees in the facility with rotation 180 and 180. When you set up the facility be sure and aim the facility towards the target IE place several mines along the ship path and turn them in towards the ships. The facilities on the east side of the ship should have a heading of West (270). The mines on the West side should have a facility heading of east (090). You can also place the naval mines directly on the ship path and aim them 360 and 180.

There are two land mines Tank Mine and Vehicle Mine. They target different vehicles and can be used in combination on mixed columns of vehicles. The Tank mine targets tracked vehicles.There is a large "mine field" facility that combines both and has the mines aimed in different directions for maximum effect.

You can send me any mission you are trying to build and I will set up the mines for you so you can have it to work from.

Hope this helps,

O-1
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

So it's a case of my bad aim, it seems.

Thanks O-1. I'll play with them again and try defining them better and aiming them properly. I think I have the picture, however fuzzily at the moment.

When I get into trouble again, I'll take you up on your offer to look over the mission(s) for me.

YESSS! I think I've got it!! The cargo ship and all its bad stuff is at the bottom of the Channel! The crew was rescued and brought to London for questioning.

Thanks for the help O-1. I keep saying this is the best tech support in the world!

Now that I have the technique, perhaps I can single handedly bring down the Reich.....

O-1 --I spoke just a bit too soon I guess.

Got the naval, tank and vehicle mines doing what they should and destroying targets as you might expect and resolving the goals as well.

Bombs, however, don't seem to resolve the "target must be destroyed" goal the same way. Visually, the target is flattened and I even created a mission-specific version of bomb_explosion.xml to hit particular elements of the rail yard which worked. When you fly over the target, it's DESTROYED, but the mission goal is still registering 100%, unlike the mines.

Again, what am I missing?

Quote Originally Posted by KellyB View Post
    O-1 --I spoke just a bit too soon I guess.

Got the naval, tank and vehicle mines doing what they should and destroying targets as you might expect and resolving the goals as well.

Bombs, however, don't seem to resolve the "target must be destroyed" goal the same way. Visually, the target is flattened and I even created a mission-specific version of bomb_explosion.xml to hit particular elements of the rail yard which worked. When you fly over the target, it's DESTROYED, but the mission goal is still registering 100%, unlike the mines.

Again, what am I missing?
    Lower the goal percentage on the facility, it is hard to get 100% destroyed on some of them. You can set the goal anywhere from 5% up to 100%.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm back on the trail, thanks.

My original target was a rail yard, small, and I suspect there were too many individual items that hadn't been destroyed.

I changed the target to a small factory, and it works as it seems it should: Target destroyed and goal resolved.

What puzzles me yet is that with the railyard, even when I set the damage percent to 5, the number never changed from 100. Is it the case that incremental damage percents just don't show, and won't tally?

This is getting really interesting, now. Now that I know the bomb explosions do in fact work the way I suspected they should, I am determined to destroy that rail yard!

Thanks as always for the tips!