Yukon Gold Rush - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Yukon Gold Rush

Willy, I'm kind of fond of that one too.

MM, great shots, love the DHC-6. Whose version is that one?

Taco, I always loved that paint scheme, and still have it. I hope you got all the updates that were done in the FS9 forum. Great new FM.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

We left Salmon Arm for Quesnel. Nice flight in great weather until about 20 mins out of Quesnell. Then the "Flight 19 Weather" caught up with us and I had to be right on top of the ground to see it. Good thing the runway at Quesnell had lights. I'd never have found it otherwise.

Took a pic of the inside of the Beech. A bit cluttered up but lots of room back there.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

:salute: Hi all, just a couple of snaps of the updated scenery at Salmon Arm. To busy to take pictures at the landing, shucks, luckly to see the darn panel.

Can confirm the fun approach and landing. Made all the more enjoyable by steep ridges that surrounded the airport for the low visibility descent.
    -Mike

Didn't quite make it all the way to Quesnell. Enjoyed the flight anyways in the nimble French Beaver.

Rumor has it that later this week, the local theater group up this way is putting on a one-man production of "The Cremation of Sam McGee". Should be a hoot.

Nice flight up to Takla Narrows (CBD5). Landing was a little rough and I bent the left float, then slid into Taco, but that should buff right out. Most everyone was hanging at the other end of the runway. But I spotted this cabin that looks plenty warm.

I know one thing for sure, after landing at CBD5 (Takla Narrows) upon reaching the next maintenance station this bird may need new brakes, if not some new rotors, and maybe some new under things for the crew! Not all bad it was a very nice flight in general with the exception of some of those darn netstorms. Next problem, getting this C-119 out of here without hitting some trees and making firewood.

Taco

It might be a good idea for everyone to check their aircraft and supplies thoroughly before the next flight...

While everyone was relaxing at the Takla Narrows Lodge last evening
    a Bristol Freighter was spotted at the airport.Attachment 25042 and then leaving early in the morningAttachment 25041

I got two additional pics sent to me by a "source" from an un-named airport that may be cause for concern...
    Attachment 25044and then Attachment 25043

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

NOTOPS!!

IF you have installed the complete Pete & Sid VIVA scenery, there is a flaw which will affect the Bronson Creek - Wrangell leg (Wednesday??) --
    In the installation of P&S #3 you are instructed to:
    5. Open your FS9/Scenery/Namw/Scenery folder. Rename AP912110.BGL to AP912110.BGL.xxx. Move the AP912110.BGL from this zip file into that same folder. I had to relocate the airstrip at Muddy Lake, B.C., and this step is necessary to remove the old one.

Unfortunately, this also removes Wrangell (PAWG), Wrangell Seaplane (68A). So, to fix this and give you a place to land, go back to FS9/Scenery/Namw/Scenery folder and reverse the change to AP912110.bgl (make the 2003 dated file the active one and remove the 2008 file-or rename it). I'll post something to Pete & Sid about the problem tonight or tomorrow. (Edit: Msg sent)

Rob
    PS, maybe it's some of the Desert Trader's evil dealings?

“Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Thanks Rob!

We made it on into Woodcock. Fun flight over fog and low lying clouds. I didn't see the runway until I was right on top of it and too high to land so I had to go around and come in from the other direction (which was into the wind anyway).

Pics are in reverse order...

:salute:Howdy,

Just two pictures one waiting for takeoff at Takla Narrows and one upon landing at CBQ8 Woodcock. A little foggy coming into Woodcock, so I just followed PRB until I could see the runway, PRB delcared that he was clear so we put the C-119 into landing mode, put her nose down and away we went, but just about touch down what did we see, but Willy landing from the other direction! But alas, the runway is a wide one and he went one way and we the other.

Taco, Dudley, and engineer with no name.

We headed on to the site of our secret mission. Not exactly sure what the gig is but gold was mentioned and there's talk of flying some heavies out of here fully loaded.

Some enroute pics....

here's the current "buzz":
    http://www.marketwire.com/press-rele...-SK-952060.htm

Now that you've seen the strip, here's how the Snip mine operated... the strip was set up and basic infrastructure built to house mine crews etc. The nearest 'settlement' is about 40km (25 miles) away and the nearest significant center is Wrangell, AK about 70km (45 miles) west of the mine but across 8000 ft mountains. Crews flew DC-3, Bristol Freighter, DC-4 and Carvair trips hauling fuel inbound and bags of pre-processed gold ore outbound to Wrangell.

As benign as it may look, Bronson has been tough on aircraft:
    The former NZ5910 (c/n 13134, ex G-AMPJ, NZ5910, ZK-EPF) was used by Hercules Airlines and even appeared in the 1987 Disney production 'The Rescue' in the guise of '101' of an unidentified asian air force) before being sold overseas. It departed Auckland on December 9, 1987 for a ferry flight to Canada where it was registered C-GYQY to Trans-Provincial Airlines Ltd. It operated from Prince Rupert on oil support operations until it crashed on June 21, 1988 on approach to Bronson Creek, B.C. With a cargo of 1600 US gallons of jet fuel, it was fortunate there was no fire. The written off hulk was broken up.

I know these have been posted before, but in case you missed them, they show that the FS9 scenery is fairly authentic. Note that it's essentially a one-way operation (land 21, dept 03)

Now that we've done our scouting mission, let's carry on down the route and we'll have a little go at making our fortune from the Snip mine later on.

Oh! while doing some research I found this - if anyone wants a new plane...
    http://www.buyplanesforsale.com/airc...roussard/1038/

Well that was interesting! We flew some gold ore out from Bronson Creek BC to Wrangell AK. Short flight of about 40nm, but in almost overloaded multiengine piston aircaft. I gained new respect for the Boeing 307 Stratoliner. I took off with almost 10 tons of ore and it was a struggle, but we made it. When I first left the runway, I wasn't sure for a while there if it was even going to fly as the Stratoliner was sure wanting to hug the river bed. Couldn't get over 95kts and could just barely climb. And if I had turned to the left towards Wrangell, it probably wouldn't have made the turn. So I went to the right and upriver.

Never did look at the VSI, but my climb rate was sure slow. Eventually, i had enough altitude and a wide enough spot in the river bed to turn a 180 and head for the coast. Ol' Gus in the right seat was sweating bullets and I was too busy trying to keep the big Boeing in the air. But once we made the turn, and I got to 2,500ft altitude, I hit the alt hold and she slowly built up speed. By the time we were back to Bronson Creek, it was acting like a real aeroplane again. From there it was a piece of cake. Just had to keep it from descending too fast at Wrangell...

Fun time!

Pics are reversed...

We left Wrangell and headed up the coast (kinda sorta) to this little spot near Juneau called Hank's Place. Kind of out of the way, but then the rangers there look the other way a lot too. Good place to lay low for a bit.

A few more photos. Flight 19 on Wrangell's tarmac, including SrG in the legendary Volpar, Moses in the classic Max Holste MH.1521, and Willy in the iconic Beech D18S. (We're missing John's Grumman Albatross.) Then a climbout over the sunny inlet into an ominous-looking overcast. As it turned out, low-flying meant a swirling mix of clouds and snowy landscape. So we ascended over the undercast where the bright sun above brought some winter cheer. A delightful conversation on matters Volpar made for a great flight. In the end our destination, Hank's Trading Post, turned out to be a splendid stop as he produced needed refreshments as well as a few spare parts.
    -Mike

This Hank fellow has a lot of stuff laying around. Spotted this Lockheed Electra. Sure looks interesting.

Wonder what he would take in a trade...

That's a pretty big back shelf he's got. :d

Maybe a bit to much of Hank's Happy Juice last night, but this should set the mood---

[YOUTUBE]/v/YGI-0lV3yME?[/YOUTUBE]

Gotta ride herd on a couple of young'uns tonight so I might get tied up. However, since you're venturing into one of the richest historical areas of Canada's north, here are a few tourist brochures Hank had lying around beside the Sears catalogue...

http://www.yukoninfo.com/whitehorse/...rsehistory.htm
    http://www.ask.com/wiki/Whitehorse,_Yukon
    http://www.wpyr.com/history/
    http://explorenorth.com/library/aviation/cf-cpy.html
    ------------------------------------

'Till I came to the marge of Lake LaBarge,
    And a derelict there lay.
    It was jammed in the ice, and I saw in a trice
    It was called the "Alice May".

I looked at it, and I thought a bit,
    And I looked at my frozen chum,
    Then, "Here", said I, with a sudden cry,
    "Is my crematorium."
    http://www.potw.org/archive/potw22.html
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cmmu...eature=related

Sam's ashes may be seen here... http://www.pbase.com/mad_monte1/yukon_river&page=all

-------------------------------------------
    "Take the oath again, Daylight," the same voice cried. "I sure will. I first come over Chilcoot in '83. I went out over the Pass in a fall blizzard, with a rag of a shirt and a cup of raw flour. I got my grub-stake in Juneau that winter, and in the spring I went over the Pass once more. And once more the famine drew me out. Next spring I went in again, and I swore then that I'd never come out till I made my stake. Well, I ain't made it, and here I am. And I ain't going out now. I get the mail and I come right back. I won't stop the night at Dyea. I'll hit up Chilcoot soon as I change the dogs and get the mail and grub. And so I swear once more, by the mill-tails of hell and the head of John the Baptist, I'll never hit for the Outside till I make my pile. And I tell you-all, here and now, it's got to be an almighty big pile."
    —Jack London, Burning Daylight (1910)http://www.ask.com/wiki/Chilkoot_Pass

Rather satisfying flight to Cousins (CFP8) just past Whitehorse, following the old White Pass and Yukon Route narrow gauge railway line. (Pics are in reverse order).

One of the local rangers mentioned to me that there's a be on the lookout out for a red and white Twin Beech on floats in connection with a gold heist. Like I told him, mine is white and red (actually it's mostly bare metal with a white top). But to be on the safe side, I sold the floats to a couple of locals to use for canoes.

We headed out for Whitehorse on a round about way following the railroad from Skagway to Whitehorse. Nice flight with great looking scenery on the way.

Yes sir, I did notice the duck in your first picture.

I still want to know whose Buffalo that is ... was it PAD's?
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

A fun filled flight from Hank's Place over to Cousins (CFP8), by way of several airfields along the way. The first shot is before take off at Hank's Place, as we're about to load up the Caribou with “relief supplies”. Next is during the climb out of Hank's, with a great shot of the other DeHavilland ship in the gaggle, MM's Twin Otter. The next one shows the final turn to approach one of the check point air ports along the flight. Finally, the approach to Cousins. You can see the Radio Range station in this shot, which is cool.

Milton, are you perhaps refering to the Caribou I'm flying? I don't think anyone is flying a Buffalo in this "mission". The one I'm flying is the Alphasim one.
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Great shots and scenery guys.

Ah yes, Paul ... you did mention that. I had forgotten.

Damian and I are working on another cargo version for the outback of anywhere. Just need to replace some cargo textures for more "appropriate stuff" kinda like what you show there.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Add a few shots of flying above clouds and peaks, Skagway's deepwater port, the Yukon valley, and DD bringing the amphibious Gooney Bird down safely.
    -Mike