Anyone fly a Cessna C-337?

Thread: Anyone fly a Cessna C-337?

Blog Entries

Anyone fly a Cessna C-337?

NTSB: Skymaster Lost Wing Before Crash

A Cessna M337B Skymaster that crashed in Avon Park, Fla., last month while on a military training exercise lost its right wing prior to hitting the ground, the NTSB said this week. All three on board, who were civilian pilots, died in the crash. In its preliminary report, the NTSB said the crew was returning to the Avon Park airport, which serves as an auxiliary field for MacDill Air Force Base, at about 9 p.m. local time, after the weather began to deteriorate. Rain and clouds were reported near the accident site. The airplane was originally built in 1967 as an O-2A for the U.S. Air Force. In February, a 337 crashed in New Jersey after a wing separated shortly after takeoff, killing all five on board.

The February crash prompted the FAA to issue an Airworthiness Directive about a wing-modification kit that had been used on that airplane. FAA spokeswoman Kathleen Bergen told Tampa Bay Online that investigators have not yet determined if the Avon Park aircraft had been modified. At Avon Park, two sections of the right wing were found northwest of the impact crater, the outboard wing tip and aileron about 800 feet away and another section of the wing with part of a flap at a distance of about 330 feet. William Waldock, who teaches crash investigation at Embry Riddle Aeronautical University, told Tampa Bay Online the weather didn't seem to be violent enough to cause structural failure. The NTSB investigation is continuing.

http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archive...ll.html#203719
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Very interesting story John , thanks for sharing . I will be looking forward to seeing NTSB's final investigative report . Does make you wonder , doesn't it ?

Rich

SOH-CM-2023
    Key point in the above is that the aircraft was built originally as an O-2...

Probably had a ton of hours on the airframe and probably even some combat time. Compared to a "regular" Skymaster that probably has a quarter of the total airframe hours.

Ad in modifications and a thunder storm and you quite possible have an over stressed aircraft.

my $0.02
    You can't take the sky from me...

That's too bad. I have about 45 hours in a Skymaster, I really enjoyed flying it. One of the interesting procedures in it was on take-off, and you were supposed to advance the rear engine throttle first, and then the front engine throttle. It wallowed like a duck when the gear transitioned up and down, too. All good times for me, unlike these poor guys.

RIP.

Always figured that if I was to own a GA twin, the Skymaster would be my first choice. I'm with Brian in that as it was an O-2, no telling what it's been through before.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Gladden View Post
    Key point in the above is that the aircraft was built originally as an O-2...

Probably had a ton of hours on the airframe and probably even some combat time. Compared to a "regular" Skymaster that probably has a quarter of the total airframe hours.

Ad in modifications and a thunder storm and you quite possible have an over stressed aircraft.

my $0.02
    Dont forget they hung rocket pods under the wings, and add in a few max G yank and banks when the tracers go flying by you.