Woolworths goes down

Thread: Woolworths goes down

Woolworths goes down

Difficult to believe, really.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7751064.stm

Charter Member 2011
    its not hard to belive if their nationwide stores are like our local one, its really gone downhill in recent years
    yes i know i cant spell half the time! Thank you kindly to those few who pointed that out

Not been to Woolies for years but as a kid in the early 60s Woolworths had the best layout of Airfix kits (in plastic bags anyone remember those). There were the 2 bob kits, half-a-crown and then 3 bob boxed, all laid out on a big counter. That was in Woolies Market Street in Manchester...great, simple times:costumes:
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Retired SOH Administrator Henry's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Not been to Woolies for years but as a kid in the early 60s Woolworths had the best layout of Airfix kits (in plastic bags anyone remember those). There were the 2 bob kits, half-a-crown and then 3 bob boxed, all laid out on a big counter. That was in Woolies Market Street in Manchester...great, simple times:costumes:
    yup next marks and sparks
    H

....Woolworths closed out US operations in 1997. Another passing....
    ..."He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose" -Jim Elliot

Vanished from mainstream Australia several years ago.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

It isn't really all that surprising. Woolworth's here in the US was a low class stuff place even when I was a kid in the 1950's. And it seems that low class stuff translates to low class looking place of business. It isn't hard, even today, to walk into a store and get a pretty accurate assessment of a company's commitment to quality merchandise. The newer stores that replaced Woolies learned a bit.

Interesting case in point; Greyhound. When I was little they were one of the best ways to travel medium distances. But time marches and they never marched with it. The stations got "seedier and seedier" and were so bad that most people didn't want to go there at all. Plus, modes of transportation changed and what used to be a very long trip by auto is now just a commute and people drive it every day. Airplanes, etc., etc.

:isadizzy:

hewman100
    Not completely dead yet. 'Management' lost the point that the customer is the priority. Also over here you can get practically everything now in a supermarket.

It will be a shame if it goes under completely as next year would have been the hundredth anniversary of the first one opening in the UK.

Sad to hear a piece of UK "history", if you will, bowing to the inevitable.

FWIW, the Woolworths of the UK, has not been affiliated with the FW Woolworth Copmany since 1982. They are/were a distinct copmany (though with a common heritage). The "Woolowrths" of Australia, has never been affiliated with FW Woolworth, or the UK operation. It was formed to capitalize on the Woolworth name that was never "registered" in Australia. Woolworth's in the US is still in existance in the US under the name Ventor Corp. It operates under the name "Foot Locker" (and all its sub-names).

Best
    Bill

Hi all.
    Well Woolies are still advertising on the TV today.So they may try and sell it as a going concern.

Buddha13
    Who is the bigger fool,The fool or the man who listens to the fool.

Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons....For you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Members who have read this thread: 0