Static model maker
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Static model maker

Static model maker

I haven't tried this yet but if it works as advertised it will sure help the framerates. There is also a new version of FS Recorder available.

FS2004 (ACOF) - Misc. FS2004/FSX Static Aircraft .mdl Maker
    [ Download | View ]
    Name: samm1000.zip Size: 442,104 Date: 11-21-2010
    FS2004/FSX Static Aircraft .mdl Maker ("SAMM"). Tired of having to program AI (and suffer the overhead) just to have some "eye candy" sitting around your airport? No more! Static Aircraft .mdl Maker ("SAMM") will convert just about any flyable or AI aircraft into an FS2004 scenery model. (FSX will display most of these models satisfactorily). Just "point" SAMM to the aircraft you wish to convert, decide where to save the scenery file and, presto, "eye candy". Most aircraft will convert using SAMM's default settings. Where, the static model is not quite right using default settings or if you want to make your static models as efficient as possible, SAMM includes a set of tools to help you. By Don Grovestine.

I have been using it for a week or so now and it does what it says on the label....although it does have a few quirks and the interface is a bit 'clunky'. It is still very much in development and I got at least three upgrades in the time I have been using it but each one made it better.

I was able to convert several FS2004 aircraft models into a static models and then convert those to true FSX models using a different application. I have some issues with missing textures but that can be expected as the original models were extremely complex.

A word of caution

If you are planning on making sceneries to share with other people you MUST get permission from the original model's creator otherwise you will be in breach of copyright. It is only good manners after all to ask before you use!
    Larry

Thanks for the head's up Terry, this looks like it could be an exceptionally usefull tool, certainly raises some intriguing possibilities.
    Andy

It's a pretty neat little program. The issue of turning standard MDLs into scenery BGLs has (to me) been a complex procedure, if even possible at times. This little proggie makes it pretty easy.

Just finding out about it here, I was able to solve an issue that had been bugging me earlier today.

I found the rare time to enjoy a real flight. I picked out the old Wings of Power B-17G, (in my mind) a ferry flight from Tofino, Vancouver Island across Georgia Straight to CYVR.

Real weather was cranked on, and it was like hopping into a blender turned on high-speed. Sun, clouds, fog, snow, rain, sleet, icing, everything you could experience in the PNW when a semi-tropical low meets an Actic outflow. The Boeing was well equiped, and hauled through just fine. ATC put me onto runway 12 (the cross wind strip) for the first time I could ever remember. Everything from traffic to wind was bloody realistic, especially Nigel Grant's great YVR freeware scenery....massively evocative. That is......until I taxied to parking on the south side.

Passing in view of the south end float plane terminal, there was nothing parked between me and the Flying Beaver/Harbour Air complex. It's a big yard where countless floaters are dragged out of the water and stored, floats right on pavement.

Attachment 24019
    ...there (see?)...behind the Flying Fortress, the other side of the empty stretch of pavement. That's the riverside Flying Beaver restaurant (and Harbour Air dock) over there. Pavement's empty in between.

Fifteen minutes (including learning curve) got me this:

Attachment 24020

...absent are the road that passes between the float yard and the river, the chain link fence, and the railway-crossing style gate that desends across the road whe they're dragging float planes to and fro the river.

Attachment 24025
    ....Hmmmph...some kinda instant drag'n'drop scenery program'll do that ez enough. The big deal is the statics. Man...I'm pleased as punch. This is going to be fun.....and....mind the frame rates.

PHP Code:
    A word of caution
    If you are planning on making sceneries to share with other people you MUST get permission from the original model's creator otherwise you will be in breach of copyright. It is only good manners after all to ask before you use! 
    Wise words, i hav'nt try'd this program yet but im assuming the generated bgl just points to the mdl in your aircraft folder rather than recompiling the mdl into your scenery folder which probably would creat copyright issues, even so i can see all sorts of ac turning up in many scenerys and not all ac designers would be happy.
    I wish this program had turn'd up a few years ago, i still have trouble getting my head around traffic tools, although a do like abit of movement around my airfields, so i'll still keep on learning about ai, but this do'es look a fun program but mainly for private use for the time being perhaps.
    cheers ian

I'm looking forward to trying this. For one main reason, all the fine ships designed for CFS2 are mdl files like planes, convert to scenery, add an AFCAD. Instant carriers from all eras, (mainly WWII, but could also add static BBs to cat launch seaplanes from, all good fun. Collin, Virtual Navy, Usio, Mas, and many others. Only problem if it does work, another fekkin' project, lol.

Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by JDTinballs View Post
    I'm looking forward to trying this. For one main reason, all the fine ships designed for CFS2 are mdl files like planes, convert to scenery, add an AFCAD. Instant carriers from all eras, (mainly WWII, but could also add static BBs to cat launch seaplanes from, all good fun. Collin, Virtual Navy, Usio, Mas, and many others. Only problem if it does work, another fekkin' project, lol.

Jamie
    Ah, somebody else spotted the "intriguing possibilities" as well!
    Andy

Only problem if it does work, another fekkin' project, lol.
    Jamie
    Go on. Give in to temptation. You know you want to :icon_twi:

WWI started because some bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich because he was hungry.

...even an Akron blimp....

Quote Originally Posted by ian elliot View Post
    i hav'nt try'd this program yet but im assuming the generated bgl just points to the mdl in your aircraft folder rather than recompiling the mdl into your scenery folder which probably would creat copyright issues, even so i can see all sorts of ac turning up in many scenerys and not all ac designers would be happy.
    No the program compiles the MDL into the BGL as a scenery object just like if you had the original source code...

With maybe a few surprises here and there.

ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

okay, so is it a one shot deal, ie scenery bgl in one location or does it create a library object that can be placed at will?

Jamie

okay, so is it a one shot deal, ie scenery bgl in one location or does it create a library object that can be placed at will?

Jamie
    It creates the library object and file library you can use in the same manner as ez_objects.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    It creates the library object and file library you can use in the same manner as ez_objects.
    Or you can just create the model(s) and make a library with 'Library Creator XML' and then use that library in ADE9X which is what I did. In fact I created the models and then converted them to true FSX scenery models and made a library as my current project is for the 'dark side'.
    Larry

I can feel a Suez battle group coming on for my 1950's installation!
    Andy

So, if I understand this correctly, I can use this program to populate my flight line with newly created A-7 static aircraft?

NC

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    So, if I understand this correctly, I can use this program to populate my flight line with newly created A-7 static aircraft?

NC
    Yes, so long as you have a good model as a base. The readme states that some modelers do some fancy tweeking which causes problems, but it is rare. Most models will work.

Yes, so long as you have a good model as a base. The readme states that some modelers do some fancy tweeking which causes problems, but it is rare. Most models will work.

Oh, this is outstanding news!!!!!!!!!!!

NC

NC trying to convert the Razbam model to static may well cause you major FPS issues as it is a very complex aircraft. You might have better luck trying to convert the IRIS version that is now freeware.

Converting aircraft models for your own use is one thing but as I stated earlier if you were thinking of making your scenery public you must get permission from the original designer/developer.
    Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Tako_Kichi View Post
    NC trying to convert the Razbam model to static may well cause you major FPS issues as it is a very complex aircraft. You might have better luck trying to convert the IRIS version that is now freeware.

Converting aircraft models for your own use is one thing but as I stated earlier if you were thinking of making your scenery public you must get permission from the original designer/developer.
    I agree with your suggestion about using the Iris version. Actually, I was thinking of trying Ito's version as well. Seems like there quite a few repaints of it.

Thanks!....

NC

Having a lot of fun with this program. The screeny is Milton's F7F WIP as a placed object. The model size reduces from 2905 to 1428. Making these aircraft objects could be habit forming.

I haven't tried this yet ( FS rebuilding ).

Was thinking of other stuff than static aircraft, can aircraft/objects be created with different animation parameters, ie. gear up and then placed on the ground at 'jaunty' angles to simulate downed aircraft (thinking SAR and the like :d )

Jamie

This could be really fantastic. If I can manage the nuances I intend to populate the default and Carriers 2006 sceneries with some much missing deck ornaments. If I work out permissions and things look good I'll post 'em.
    W10-64 Pro, 3GHz, 16GB Ram, AMD Radeon HD 5570

Quote Originally Posted by aeromed202 View Post
    This could be really fantastic. If I can manage the nuances I intend to populate the default and Carriers 2006 sceneries with some much missing deck ornaments. If I work out permissions and things look good I'll post 'em.
    Good thinking, if you need WWII planes with wings folded, check the archive under The B24 Guy in the CFS2 section, he made some variants of the default CFS2 planes with wings folded, engines running, etc.

Jamie

I haven't tried this yet ( FS rebuilding ).

Was thinking of other stuff than static aircraft, can aircraft/objects be created with different animation parameters, ie. gear up and then placed on the ground at 'jaunty' angles to simulate downed aircraft (thinking SAR and the like :d )

Jamie
    Yes, providing the model has the animations you can display them on-off, deployed-retracted, engine running, etc.

Coastie Dolphins/Spartans CG_1976's Avatar
    Wonder if this will work with Milton's dash 7?? It works on the tinmouse, but im searching for a friendlier 737-200 model w gravel kit.

AMD FX 8-Core Black 4.2Ghz, 8G Ram 2TB HD, W8.1 pending W10, ATI R5 2G X2 Crossfire
    http://www.canadianarcticfse.com/