Overclocking....still wary of attempting it....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overclocking....still wary of attempting it....

Overclocking....still wary of attempting it....

Some months back, just after I had gotten my system rebuilt, I posted about wanting to overclock my cpu.

Central Processing Unit(CPU): Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU X 980 @ 3.33GHz

Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series

I still haven't made any attempts at overclocking. If anyone here has experience with this, and is willing to provide me some EASY to understand pointers/tips, then please do!

I won't even try anything like that unless I am absolutely sure what to do, and how to do it!

I think my graphics card itself can be overclocked too!

Thanks.

NC

Yep, I'm wary of it too, that's why I'll never do it. Spent too much money on a fast system to "jack it up on coke" and try to make it live an exciting and short life!
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

I blame it on Tim Allen's character; always wanting MORE POWER! Arrghhh!!

I am probably just stupid, but could someone please explain what overclocking is? If it's a way of making a bad system better, then I want it!

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I am probably just stupid, but could someone please explain what overclocking is? If it's a way of making a bad system better, then I want it!
    As I understand it, computer processors are capable of faster speeds than what they are set at, coming from the manufacturer. Overclocking is the means to making the processor work at a higher capacity.

Assuming you have a decent air cooler (aftermarket), and since you have the 980, all you really have to do is increase the multiplier, found in your BIOS. You may have to increase your cpu voltage just a tiny bit as you go higher.

Here's a good 980 OCing article:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ency,2590.html
    FAA ZMP
    PPL ASEL

| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | EVGA GTX1080 Ti | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X |

If it wasn't for my wife's knowledge on computers I probably wouldn't even be in this hobby but when I see all the stuff you guys accomplish on here "we" try to do the same. As for overclocking I have not tried yet but came across this site seem too have alot of good info. Might be helpfull. Have not had a chance yet to really read in detail yet myself. http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=7

J.J. (Gator)

Charter Member 2010
    Blog Entries
    Wow NC, you are rocking the big system. How is the 6 cores (it is the latest 6 core one right) working in FSX? I have been debating OC'ing my chip as well. I have an older 4 core i7-950 that I have already bumped up to a conservative 3.33ghz. I was debating going up maybe another 500 or so to 3.8ghz. I saw a video the other day of someone with a i7-920 pushing some 4ghz, and a GTX 480 and it looked smooth as glass. I have OC'd an older AMD FX-60 (I know, very very old), and managed to get about 3.2 stable out of it. I had water cooling on that system though. My current one with the i7 is air cooled.
    Steve
    FSX Hours: 3000+

Basic OCing is not that hard, most mobo venders have their own programs to OC from windows.
    The i7s run hot. Soooo before OCing you want to check that your rig is running "normal" temps to start with. My i7 920 ran around 39c at stock 2.66ghz with a freezer 7 cooler.
    ATM running at 3.44ghz it's running at 44c, both unloaded...web browsing.

1st consideration with OCing is, do you need the higher clock speed to run something or you lookin for bragging rights?
    I've had this 920 running battleground europe while OCed to 4.3 ghz, on air cooling. It never got to the 80c thermal throttle point. *BE is extremely cpu intense*.
    However I did'nt see that big of fps increase over the 3.4 ghz clocking....just a hotter cpu...and a hotter room.
    At the curent clock speed nothing bogs it down so no need for me to go higher, yet

Now to get serious into OCing means not just upping the sidebus or BLC but also adjusting ram timeings to as tight as possible. Also if you want to get realy into the rideing the razorblade areas, upping voltages.

But don't expect to double fps in a game via a OC. 10% fps increase, 20% fps increase in rare cases of extreme OC.

Some mobos OC easisly. Some not at all, depends on the brand alot. Asus boards are easy clockers (with a OC from windows app that does somewhat ok) and generaly will simply tell you the oc failed and revert to stock settings if you go too far or set something wrong.

Bottom line. If you OC you own what you get. So read up 1st, talk to any you know with experience and then weigh whether or not you can afford to replace your rig if things go bad.
    Not to scare anyone just simply a reality.

And yes a i7 920 will run on air (stable at that) clocked to 4.3

Getting the ram timeings tighted up at that speed though does take some time.

I overclocked my Dell Dimension XPS with a stock Intel Q6600 from 2.4GHz/core to 3.0GHz/core quite awhile ago with great results. I didn't modify the stock cooling and the CPU temp is fine. Don't go too far with the overclock and you should be fine. I'd try doing an overclock search for your specific system and specific CPU to find "how to's" about your set-up. Mine was done solely through BIOS setting changes and a simple re-boot.

PS: Made a big difference with FSX for me. Not that it runs completely smooth, but I'm happy with FSX for now (until I can buy a new rig).
    Cheers,
    Dave

Here's my results;
    Cheers,
    Dave

Chief, the one you want to talk to is Ted aka txnetcop
    . He is great at this. He wrote an overclocking guide for the board I use and he tests all combinations of graphics cards cup's and mobo's. The guy is a walking encyclopedia as well a very helpful individual. Good luck.
    Domine Deus miserere mei

Nzxt Phantom Case
    Asus Xonar Essence STX Audio Card
    Gigabyte Intel Z77 LGA 1155
    Intel I-5 Ivy Bridge 4.5 GHZ OC
    Xigmatek HDT-S1283 CPU Cooler

16 GB Ripjaws X Series
    MSI Gaming 4G GTX 970
    Viewsonic 27" monitor

Antec 750 Bronze power supply

Fsx on 'Raptor drive

Wn 7 64 bit on 500gb Raptor drive
    2T Storage HD
    Felix Audio Elise Headphone amp, PS Audio Nu Wave DAC Harman-Kardon avr 510 with EV Sentry V Speaker
    Sennheiser HD800 Headphones

Thanks all! Appreciate all your inputs!

NC

Blog Entries
    I'm pretty sure I have aleady posted several guides on OCing a i7 Core they are all the same. However Chief what is the exact make/model motherboard you have and I will give you instruction. OCing i7Core is very easy.
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

Quote Originally Posted by txnetcop View Post
    I'm pretty sure I have aleady posted several guides on OCing a i7 Core they are all the same. However Chief what is the exact make/model motherboard you have and I will give you instruction. OCing i7Core is very easy.
    Ted
    Hi Ted,

My motherboard is a Republic of Gamers Rampage III Extreme

The part #90-MIBC10-G0AAY00Z

Graphics card is a:

ASUS ROG Matrix 5870 2GB

Pete

Blog Entries
    First a disclaimer: I can be held in no way responsible for any damage done by altering the BIOS or CPU function of a PC. You overclock at your own risk!

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]--> TechCorp Unit 3707A

Ted-test engineer station 1C

Simple To Do Overclocking a Core i7 980X on the Rampage Extreme III

First check your temps with Everest Home or SIW. SIW is a free download and provides more info than Everest Home. Your idle speed should never exceed 50C. Your full speed test run for stability should never exceed 72C for any length of time.

After enabling manual overclocking in the BIOS you'll find a 133 MHz register called the Base clock; look at that as your 'FSB' to play around with. Of course, since you have an Extreme Edition processor, things are much easier. Just play around with CPU voltages and the multiplier and even on the stock air cooler you can achieve some pretty snazzy results.

Check what your current values are. The ASUS Rampage III X58 mainboard applies a dynamic multiplier. A baseclock of 133 MHz times a multiplier of 25 is 3.33 GHz. That is your base clock frequency.

In the default configuration however, it can also apply a multiplier of 26 with Turbo mode enabled. So your Core i7 processor will go beyond spec at default already.

ASUS Rampage III Extreme has an easy OC function in the BIOS:
    If you if you want to do things simple, go into the BIOS and select the CPU level up function.
    With the 980X Gulftown you can select 4.0 and 4.2 GHz, enable, save and reboot. and bam .. you OC is steady and running completely automatic.

This part is NOT for New Beginners and make sure you are using water-cooling to go above 4.0-4.2GHz
    If you want to overclock extensively by hand, first off in the BIOS please disable Speedstep, C1E and TM functions preventing the processor from clocking down or up dynamically based on diverse variables including heat and CPU load. Now simply increase the multiplier until the system crashes, then increase voltages and start over again. Inevitably you’ll find the maximum frequency or temperatures simply get out of hand.
    For our overclock we increase voltages towards 1.35V-1.4V on the processor and use a water cooler. We easily booted into Windows at ~4.2 GHz with the Core i7 980X processor.

Temperatures now start to increase fast but regardless of that, I ended at a 100% stable 4.5 GHz. That is a baseclock of 151 MHz with a 30 MP. Overclocking itself is a pretty easy thing to achieve with this processor and motherboard. Bear in mind that overclocking draws much more power from your system and also take into consideration that your cooling solution needs to be proper as going from four to six cores should produce more heat.

Now test for stability!
    Ted

I've spent every available second of the last few days overclocking my new mainboard and RAM. It's tedious process, but soooooo rewarding!

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    I've spent every available second of the last few days overclocking my new mainboard and RAM. It's tedious process, but soooooo rewarding!
    Haven't done it yet, but thanks to Ted, I have all the information I need. I have printed it all out, and will do this in a day or so....

Thanks.

NC

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    Haven't done it yet, but thanks to Ted, I have all the information I need. I have printed it all out, and will do this in a day or so....
    Just go ahead and remember to use common sense and you'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveKDEN View Post
    I overclocked my Dell Dimension XPS with a stock Intel Q6600 from 2.4GHz/core to 3.0GHz/core quite awhile ago with great results. I didn't modify the stock cooling and the CPU temp is fine. Don't go too far with the overclock and you should be fine. I'd try doing an overclock search for your specific system and specific CPU to find "how to's" about your set-up. Mine was done solely through BIOS setting changes and a simple re-boot.

PS: Made a big difference with FSX for me. Not that it runs completely smooth, but I'm happy with FSX for now (until I can buy a new rig).
    How did OC dell XPS? Im on my second one and they have figured out a way to stop you OCing the chipset.

Members +
    Reminds me that kid in that great Movie."A Christmas Story"..when getting something he was not familiar with.,a Red Ryder BB gun,...""he was told"YA GONNA SHOOT YER EYE OUT"....Computers are expensive,their are some with great talent and know how,and then there are some destined to "SHOOT THEIR EYE OUT??...be careful chief...I Know,years ago in essence ..I SHOT MY EYE OUT!!..anyone who employs himself as an expert computer person,has just hired a confirmed incompatant..........CHEERS CHIEF!!..:salute:

Sorry... am coming late to this thread because I've been caught up in rebuilding my FSX system around an overclocked i7 980x.

All I can say is it was unbelievably easy. Overclocking a 965 was a struggle by comparison. I don't claim, by the way, to be a very skillful or experienced overclocker.

I don't mean to step on Ted's advice. There are many different ways to clock this animal and I'm sure most of them will produce good results. For what it's worth, I followed THIS GUIDE to the letter. It overlaps with Ted's guide on many points, as it should, but there are some differences, too. It includes full settings for an ASUS BIOS and links to freeware tools. Thanks to this set of instructions, I had the system running at 4.48 MHz on air and on surprisingly low voltage (1.3375,though if things get unstable later I'll go to 1.35) inside of about an hour and a half.

So if you'd like, give it a try. If you're already set up, that's even better.

Ted - hope you don't mind this. I haven't seen your guides before but will definitely want to spend some time with them. You can't know too much about this stuff.

Enjoy!
    "Ah, Paula, they are firing at me..."

-- Saint-Exupery

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan_A View Post
    Sorry... am coming late to this thread because I've been caught up in rebuilding my FSX system around an overclocked i7 980x.

All I can say is it was unbelievably easy. Overclocking a 965 was a struggle by comparison. I don't claim, by the way, to be a very skillful or experienced overclocker.

I don't mean to step on Ted's advice. There are many different ways to clock this animal and I'm sure most of them will produce good results. For what it's worth, I followed THIS GUIDE to the letter. It overlaps with Ted's guide on many points, as it should, but there are some differences, too. It includes full settings for an ASUS BIOS and links to freeware tools. Thanks to this set of instructions, I had the system running at 4.48 MHz on air and on surprisingly low voltage (1.3375,though if things get unstable later I'll go to 1.35) inside of about an hour and a half.

So if you'd like, give it a try. If you're already set up, that's even better.

Ted - hope you don't mind this. I haven't seen your guides before but will definitely want to spend some time with them. You can't know too much about this stuff.

Enjoy!
    No problem...Chief has never done this before so I only gave two quick options. I test computer equipment for mfgs through TechCorp. I do this for a living and OCing is very easy on the i5 and i7 Core systems. I have a complete guide that I wrote back in the 775 socket days that has been updated to today's standard or just use Maximum PC magazine's guide at maximumpc.com
    Ted

One thing to keep in mind about overclocking, is that you only gain a tiny fraction of speed, while risking a significant monetary investment.

3.6 to 4.2 only yields +15% processor speed. And upping your CPU speed by 15% may not be a significant factor in FSX. You may have problems with memory, hard-drive speed, motherboard chip sets, or your graphics card might be lagging. Sometimes the combination of scenery and aircraft will just plain give you 12 FPS, and that won't budge until you push the sliders to the left.

I wouldn't do it.

Dick