FaceTracking with just your web-cam - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FaceTracking with just your web-cam

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerousdave26 View Post
    That is the same issue with Free Track. The FSUIPC interface does not support 6DOF. However if you use the TIRviews.dll in free track you do get 6DOF.
    Hello Dangerousdave26,

Well, you are right (I have the Free-track sources: they're a great source of inspiration. I like open-source ).

You could also use TIRViews with FaceTrackNoIR (copy TIRViews.dll in FaceTrackNoIR folder, select 'fake TrackIR', edit Settings (tick checkbox 'use TIRViews')). I have tried it with FS2004, but my PC can't handle the load. I really only implemented TIRViews for older games like CFS3 (and Over Flanders Fields).

Frankly, when you're sitting in the pilots seat, I don't think you really need X and Y-translations. Or you must like hopping like this one:
    Thanks for your comment(s)!

BTW.: FaceTrackNoIR is open-source too...

Finally got around to trying this and it works pretty well, the only thing that stops it being a TrackIR replacement for me is the lag between moving your head and getting a reaction in FSX. It's a bit like trying to fly drunk!

I tried maxing the sample rate and adjusting the curves to give more degrees in game per real movement, but although that helped a bit, there is still a delay before the view changes which makes it a real challenge to use.

I really like not having to wear a hat though.

Exclamation FaceTrackNoIR has evolved further!

Quote Originally Posted by AndyE1976 View Post
    Finally got around to trying this and it works pretty well, the only thing that stops it being a TrackIR replacement for me is the lag between moving your head and getting a reaction in FSX. It's a bit like trying to fly drunk!

I really like not having to wear a hat though.
    Hi Andy and others,

Sorry to shake up this thread (so late), but I guess: better late than never? Since your last post, update 5 of FaceTrackNoIR was released in March. It contains a brand new filter-algorithm, which eliminates any 'sluggish' behaviour and still gives a stable view.

Work on update 6 is already in progress and that will have some nice improvements too! Check out the download page and the news page of the website. :salute:

I confirm the new patch has brought a lot of improvements.
    But a good lighting and a decent webcam are still mandatory.
    And it still works better when you smile (not kidding!)

Smile!

Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    I confirm the new patch has brought a lot of improvements.
    But a good lighting and a decent webcam are still mandatory.
    And it still works better when you smile (not kidding!)
    That's why the whole project began: to make people have fun and smile!
    I'm glad you like it...

Members who have read this thread: 1