Royal India Mail - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Royal India Mail

Followed Willy over the Taj Mahal.

We continued on into Nepal stopping at VNBW before we got to the Himalayan foot hills. Next stop Katmandu, then Lukla!
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

I was enjoying a beverage while flight-planing the next couple of hops when one of the bar-boys dropped a package on my table. A friend had found a potential mail-plane with lots of experience that he thought I could use...

Send a cable back explaining that the rest of the challengers had allowed newer technology to attack their deep pockets and even a nice new Ford would probably be better suited for another time. (Just as well - apparently they are still fabricating a new cockpit for it).

Oh well... it looks like a likely candidate for some of those Appalachian routes we've been eyeing..

Attachment 23623Attachment 23624

New cold weather suits probably will allow the Fokker C-V to rejoin the fleet

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

We got our first taste of the mountains while flying over the Himalayan foot hills. Next leg, it's the real deal going to Lukla.

Good fun along the way. Rugged 10,000 ft foothills with serious peaks looming in the background. The gathering at Kathmandu was a Junkers Jamboree. SrG (Ju-160), MM (DH.89a), JohnC (Spartan), DD (Junkers W34), vW (DC-3), Willy (GeeBee), and PRB (Ju-52).
    -Mike

And so we find ourselves among the foot hills of the Mighty Himalayas, as we made our way to Katmandu. The weather was quite nice. Only hope it holds, for next we face unforgiving Lukla.
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Well, that was fun.. The pics pretty much tell the story, just repeat it about 5 times. Crashed so much that when I gave up on it, the aircraft was still smoking...

Well certainly an adventure getting into Lukla. Now to try and get out.

I managed to get stopped with a few feet of runway left. Then parked myself in a safe spot or so I thought.

VW decided that on landing he would like to play Leap Frog and Moses03 and I were the Frogs.

ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

Offices of Eurasia Ltd.

Statement for Immediate Release

Management of Eurasia Ltd. wishes to clarify certain events and refutalize allegations made by Imperialist crews currently in residence at Lukla, Nepal.

First, Eurasia crews are not afraid. Note that we were the first to land at Lukla, paving the way for others to find and approach this challenging airport. However, Eurasia Ltd is very aware of safety in aviation and, as can be seen from the previously-released photos, wisely parked on the opposite side of the aerodrome.

Second, our dawn departure was another safety measure. While other crews were recovering from a severe case of "Yak Milk" poisoning (rumoured to be due to the alcohol content) our crew determined that an early departure was best for local conditions and those anticipated along the course (heat, humidity and haze). Note also that we are willing to provide "Pilots Notes" of the remaining route for crews on request. Some information must remain restricted to Eurasia Ltd crews as it was obtained during our test of Navigationsdiagramme der niedrigen Höhe des schlechten Wetters und spezielles Stromsystem für beibehaltenkurs which is part of our flight and route programme. Stories that we left Lukla early to avoid possible involvement in later takeoff disasters is erroneous. As can be seen, much of the remaining route may be flown at 300m or less.

Third, spurious reports that Eurasia crews were involved in illegal activities are propagandistic at best and scandalous in intent. There was no knowledge or participation on behalf of Eurasia crews in the 'reported' smuggling of a Japanese agent thru Nepal into Britisher India. The flight crew, upon landing in the Calcutta neighbourhood of Barrackpore (all slums seem the same in the malodourous haze that infests this primitive land- the British should study German engineering to cure this pollution), ascertained that a stowaway had abruptly left the aircraft and run off through the fog. Indeed he appeared to be Oriental but to Teutonic eyes it was impossible to ascertain precise nationality. The Crew continued on to Calcutta's airport and provided full information to authorities when questioned. They are now enroute to Lukla via Katmandhu to brief the Nepalese officials (at great cost in fuel and time to Eurasia Ltd). ETA Lukla is expected to be well in advance of the (hopefully safe) departure of the remaining crews.

S. Palin
    Eurasia Ltd.

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

It took all night and with bits from the wreckage of five Gee Bees, I got it back together and almost ready to fly. Got a few good tips from the locals about proper technique to take off from here, so I guess we're ready to leave once the others get out of the local bar and grill and sober up a bit.

According to the grapevine, there's some officials who are on their way to Lukla. Something about pilot's landing here without having the proper licenses to use the airport. Probably don't need to hang around any more than necessary.

Interesting and fun flight to Lukla, highlighted by Willy's Gee Bee smash 'em up derby. The Boeing was struggling a bit in the thin air. Was making me nervous relying on one engine...

Got delayed in order to pick up a special passenger. Tall thin fellow in a tweed suit. He received a telegram from someone who signed his name "C" and then insisted on making this flight. Odd...he doesn't look like a vacationer.
    -Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    Had problems with the Boeing and found this pretty little yellow and black aeroplane at the local swap and shop. The guy there said it's perfectly safe and there was room behind the seat for the mailbag, so I took it. It is a bit touchy on landing though.....
    Hey Willy, what's the .zip name of your GeeBee? I gotta try that one after last nites extravaganza into Lukla.
    -John-

Don't remember John. I've had it since Warwick "Wozza" Carter released it a few years ago.

We left the mountains and headed back downhill to Purnea India. Great flight with good company.

Enjoyable descent into the plains of India. (Or was it Kansas, Taco?) Here's a shot of the moon over the mountains, the Himalayas in this case... And another of vW greasing a landing in his Buecker 181 Bestmann.
    -Mike

Heck, I'm not sure where the heck we flew to there was so much interesting conversation going on. But we had a fun time!

Just hope I can remember where I parked the Gee Bee at tomorrow....

Great last leg on a great flight. We flew on into Calcutta to turn in the mail bags. One of the mail handlers told me though that a local on an elephant won the contract. Probably somebody's nephew.

That's okay though, there's a rumor of gold in the Yukon that we need to check out....