Ready on Arrival (1966) USS INDEPENDENCE

Thread: Ready on Arrival (1966) USS INDEPENDENCE

Ready on Arrival (1966) USS INDEPENDENCE

I thought some of you out there and especially those of you that are prior
    NAVY, would like to view an excellent video of aircraft ops aboard the USS
    Independence back in 1966. It's a bit of a nostalgic trip back in time. I can
    almost smell the AVGAS and JP on the "Bat barge" as we called them. Turn on your
    sound as you will hear a narration plus all the jet/prop sounds and the planes
    launch/recover.
    I think Navy Chief might enjoy this one. So, enjoy the sight and sounds of those
    older Navy war birds from yesteryear. As a former member of the "Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club"
    I know I did!!!

Amazing stuff!
    Dutch National Aviation Theme Park and Museum.
    No DC3 without the DC2

Charter Member 2011
    2nd star to the right...you see that old torino?..ask there
    That vid put me into A-4 mood!..

Prowler

Quote Originally Posted by Prowler1111 View Post
    That vid put me into A-4 mood!..

Prowler
    Glad you guys enjoyed it. I forgot to make mention that back in 1966, we
    had no email so, when that S-2 COD came aboard with the mail and "Mail Call" was
    sounded on the IMC, (PA SYSTEM) we were in anticipation of those perfume scented letters
    from our Wives/Girlfriends and a few of us even got some "Care Packages" from home i.e.
    home make cookies and magazines etc. I'd share my home made baked goodies with some of my shipmates,
    they appreciated that.

Oh yes, thoroughly enjoyed that! Nice to recall the pre F-18 days when USN aviation was varied and interesting.

A very good video and hugely impressive.

Yep, nice the movie. See also here: http://www.airboyd.tv/
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Indeed we need a A-4 for FSX with all the bells and gadgets

That was a great video. Toured the Midway Museum here in San Diego recently so have a better appreciation for living conditions on board a CV. Plus I like the variety of aircraft an the more colorful squadron colors of those days.
    :ernae:

Thanx AZ1USN , ... Hmm Prowler1111 That vid put me into A-4 mood!.. :salute:
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Great video! Loved seeing the A-3D and the RA-5C flying. It was also nice seeing those A-6A's too according to one of my books that was only the second year that the A-6A was in combat, and the A-6 squadron in the film the "Sunday Punchers" were the first to fly the Intruder operationally, and also the last to fly it before the USN retired it.

The A-6

Quote Originally Posted by argo147 View Post
    Great video! Loved seeing the A-3D and the RA-5C flying. It was also nice seeing those A-6A's too according to one of my books that was only the second year that the A-6A was in combat, and the A-6 squadron in the film the "Sunday Punchers" were the first to fly the Intruder operationally, and also the last to fly it before the USN retired it.
    Yes, the A-6 was developed for the Viet-nam war, was an ugly baby but it got the job done.
    We use to give them the nick name "trucks" because of the tremendous amount of bombs that
    they would carry. Had to manually lift the bombs over your head onto the MER/TER (multiple/
    triple) ejection rack. In one of my USS Ranger cruise books there is a picture of an A-6 that had
    a sign sitting next to the cockpit canopy that read ......"exact change only".
    Maybe I post that one some time.
    :salute:

great video

One of the great, fun opportunities of my life was to fly the A6 simulator at Oceana (home of the Sunday Punchers) I managed to touchdown on the carrier but didnt catch a wire (boltered). The way of moving the stick I looked like I was playing racket ball.

My friend (an A6 pilot and hero) did a night landing. He barely moved; mostly just making trim adjustments. I believe he caught the #2 or 3 wire.

What a great experience.