RejectThreshold Tweak Replacement for No BufferPool

Thread: RejectThreshold Tweak Replacement for No BufferPool

Hybrid View

RejectThreshold Tweak Replacement for No BufferPool

I found this "RejectThreshold" tweak last night, and had really great success.
    I never could use the "No BufferPools" tweak, too many graphical artifacts.

The RejectThreshold is a cut-off. Calls from the CPU that are above this amount bypass the bufferpool and are sent straight to the GPU. With no bufferpool or threshold, all calls are sent directly to the GPU, which is the cause of instability. Anything below the threshold amount is sent to the bufferpool.
    Full post and thread is available here:
    http://realenvironmentxtreme.com/for...p?topic=9958.0

[BUFFERPOOLS]
    RejectThreshold=524288 //512Kb = 524288, 256Kb = 262144, 124Kb = 126976, 96Kb = 98304

You can still specify a bufferpool size, I use PoolSize=2097152 to set a 2MB pool. Also, start with 512Kb for the RejectThreshold, and increment in steps until you get graphic glitches or a crash, than raise it back up one level. I am at 256Kb right now, I am going to lower it to 124Kb soon. Do not go below 96Kb, at that point it is better to just set the PoolSize to 0, but this is unstable for many people, unless you have an ATI 5870, which is nearly impossible to crash in FSX.
    I haven't tried this with the bufferpools yet, but just using it alone at 262144 (256k) setting, I am having very good result in PNW, where I have usually seen a slight dip in fps.
    "No, I'm not a good shot, but I shoot often." - Theodore "Teddy" Roosevelt

Just to add, if the "No BufferPools" tweak works for you, it's probably the better way to go.

I activated BufferPools in my fsx.cfg file again, and used similar entries from that post over at the REX forum I linked.

[BufferPools]
    UsePools=1
    PoolSize=2097152
    RejectThreshold=126976 //512Kb = 524288, 256Kb = 262144, 124Kb = 126976, 96Kb = 98304

This works for me.
    I'm locked at 30fps, and getting upper teens, to mid 20's.
    Over PNW.
    With Bloom on, something I've never been able to use before. Check Takealot Specials and Woolworths Specials.
    I'm pretty happy with this.
    "No, I'm not a good shot, but I shoot often." - Theodore "Teddy" Roosevelt

Interesting read Dain. I'll have a play with this at the weekend.
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

I have just tried it out. It has made a huge difference for me! So, Thanks!!!!

I have a NVidea GT240 1gb card. My frame rate is set at 24. Although I was using the UsePools tweak, I still found that my frame rate would fall/stutter sometimes - usually on or near the ground and when I was panning quickly outside the aircraft.

Within my FSX.cfg, under [BUFFERPOOLS], I have removed the Usepools line and just replaced it with RejectThreshold=262144.

What a difference, in an admittedly very short 10 minute trial, I tried it with a payware aircraft on payware scenery (ie more complex). My frame rate stayed at 23.9 to 24. Sometimes for a split second I would see a smaller number, but there was no stuttering nor were there graphic glitches (you know those wierd triangles that seem to come from the ground).

So - allthough I need to check it much more and in different situations - it does seem to work very well.

I may have to try this as well. Although I keep my frames locked at 30, on or near the ground around areas like Fort Lauderdale - Miami, I do get a drop in FPS and very slight micro stuttering. Perhaps this tweak can delay my having to build a new computer just for FSX.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

well I've taken a shine to this thread - thanks to those responsible for sharing the tweak from REX and for the info about bloom effect working in FSX with Dx9c.....

With the HighMemfix tweak, the RejectThreshold tweak, and some others that I had heard of and can use to good effect - FSX is looking much better to me now too
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube